Using RAID on single hard drive

I have a single hard drive connected to my NF7-Sv2.0 Abit Motherboard with
Serielle converter on SATA1. I installed the SATA driver when installing XP
and XP seems to recognize my drive.

I was wondering if there would be any benefit or if it would be even
possible to use RAID functions with just one hard drive. I have the option
to enter RAID BIOS by hitting f4 or f5 when Windows starts.

Currently I have the driver partitioned into 3 partitions. Would I have to
reinstall XP? When would I setup the RAID--if I can do so?

Bernard

FYI.. http://data-recovery.lsoft.net/concept_raid.html

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bernard Craig" <silverfox@netnitco.net> wrote in message
>I have a single hard drive connected to my NF7-Sv2.0 Abit Motherboard with
>Serielle converter on SATA1. I installed the SATA driver when installing
>XP and XP seems to recognize my drive.
>
> I was wondering if there would be any benefit or if it would be even
> possible to use RAID functions with just one hard drive. I have the
> option to enter RAID BIOS by hitting f4 or f5 when Windows starts.
>
> Currently I have the driver partitioned into 3 partitions. Would I have
> to reinstall XP? When would I setup the RAID--if I can do so?

I think I got it! I would have to install another drive to use RAID
functions.

Is XP then recognizing the drive as an ordinary hard drive even though I
installed the RAID controller to get XP to recognize the drive? If this is
the case, it should be fine that I partitioned the drive into multiple
partitions?
> Bernard
>
> FYI.. http://data-recovery.lsoft.net/concept_raid.html
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Bernard Craig" <silverfox@netnitco.net> wrote in message
>>I have a single hard drive connected to my NF7-Sv2.0 Abit Motherboard with
>>Serielle converter on SATA1. I installed the SATA driver when installing
>>XP and XP seems to recognize my drive.
>>
>> I was wondering if there would be any benefit or if it would be even
>> possible to use RAID functions with just one hard drive. I have the
>> option to enter RAID BIOS by hitting f4 or f5 when Windows starts.
>>
>> Currently I have the driver partitioned into 3 partitions. Would I have
>> to reinstall XP? When would I setup the RAID--if I can do so?

*Grin*

Yup, yup, and yup.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

>I think I got it! I would have to install another drive to use RAID
>functions.
>
> Is XP then recognizing the drive as an ordinary hard drive even though I
> installed the RAID controller to get XP to recognize the drive? If this
> is the case, it should be fine that I partitioned the drive into multiple
> partitions?
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Bernard
>>
>> FYI.. http://data-recovery.lsoft.net/concept_raid.html
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Bernard Craig" <silverfox@netnitco.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a single hard drive connected to my NF7-Sv2.0 Abit Motherboard
>>>with Serielle converter on SATA1. I installed the SATA driver when
>>>installing XP and XP seems to recognize my drive.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if there would be any benefit or if it would be even
>>> possible to use RAID functions with just one hard drive. I have the
>>> option to enter RAID BIOS by hitting f4 or f5 when Windows starts.
>>>
>>> Currently I have the driver partitioned into 3 partitions. Would I have
>>> to reinstall XP? When would I setup the RAID--if I can do so?

TRENDING THREADS