Question Using two different sets of RAM - - - dual channel compatibility ?

aymantarek436

Honorable
May 28, 2018
I already have G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4 and I want to upgrade to 32GB of RAM. I found these RAM on sale here: Gskill Sniper X 16GB (2x8) 3200Mhz CL16 . Are these RAM compatible with my current one or will I face issues putting them together? Selling my current RAM and buying 2x16GB ram is not available for me currently (as it will cost me much more in my region and my budget is not enough). I also have to upgrade today because prices will go up tomorrow in my region, so I can't wait.
Here is my PCPartPicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G28pLs

You are asking a question no one can answer.
Odds of it working are about 33%
Odds of it partially working ,with occasional crashes,hangs and reboots are about 33%. You are hunting down errors for ever.
Odd of it not booting at all are about 33%.
It is your money and your gamble.
More information. read the mixed memory/odd man out section.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

aymantarek436

Honorable
May 28, 2018
You are asking a question no one can answer.
Odds of it working are about 33%
Odds of it partially working ,with occasional crashes,hangs and reboots are about 33%. You are hunting down errors for ever.
Odd of it not booting at all are about 33%.
It is your money and your gamble.
More information. read the mixed memory/odd man out section.
I thought if they have the same speed and latency so they simply would work together, doesn't it work like this?
Edit: I read the intro of the thread you sent and it seems like a big gamble. I'll just ask the store if it can guarantee a refund if the new ram stick doesn't work with my current one. If not, then I shall postpone buying new ram 2x16gb for another time.

First of all, do you really need more than 16gb?

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

I think that your odds of success are more in the 80% range with an intel processor.

If you have problems, running at less than 3200 speed might work.
Increasing the ram voltage can sometimes help.
With a B660 motherboard, you probably do not have the ability to increase the ram voltage.

Regardless,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

A last chance would be to contact g.skil support.

aymantarek436

Honorable
May 28, 2018
hat your odds of success are more in the 80% range with an intel processor.
Well... This seems like a gamble for me and I don't think it's worth the risk and all the hassle. As you said 16GB is enough for me for now, I don't need more than them. Later, I might upgrade the whole kit to 2x16GB. Thank you though