[SOLVED] Using W7 license with W10 clean install

Jul 10, 2021
I'm about to install W10 as a clean install using my W7 license number (validated within W7 system so should work). This will be installed on a new SSD but I intend to retain my existing W7 set-up on its existing SSD and selecting which system to use at boot up.

Can I continue to access my W7 disk programs with the existing W7 license validation?

Solution
Well - how can he revert back, if windows 7 license is deactivated already (during upgrade)?
Then is must be - both windows 7 and windows 10 licenses are active and operational at the same time.
Windows 7 license deactivation theory doesn't really make a lot of sense here.

And what, if customer wants to revert back after 30 day period is already over?
The activation takes that into account.

But basically, an inplace upgrade is one install. Used to be 7, then 10. One install.
Installing a second OS (new drive or partition) would require a second license, or consuming the original license for the new OS.

After 30 days?
Well...install Win 10 on a new drive (as the OP seems to want), and leave it Unactivated.
It will run just...

USAFRet

Titan
I'm about to install W10 as a clean install using my W7 license number (validated within W7 system so should work). This will be installed on a new SSD but I intend to retain my existing W7 set-up on its existing SSD and selecting which system to use at boot up.

Can I continue to access my W7 disk programs with the existing W7 license validation?
You have one license.

You can't upgrade that to Win 10, and continue to use the Win 7.
One or the other.

Jul 10, 2021
You have one license.

You can't upgrade that to Win 10, and continue to use the Win 7.
One or the other.

Hi,
Thanks for responding so speedily. The reason for my question was that I have tried unsuccessfully to update my existing W7 system to W10.

Despite using several workarounds, etc. it still doesn't work. Thus, I have been contemplating doing the clean install. As part of the earlier upgrade attempt, I had an online chat with an MS 'ambassador' to resolve the upgrade problem. He suggested doing a clean install on a new SSD and I asked whether I could then still use my old W7 SSD by selecting it at bootup. He said this would be possible.

Since then, I've learned that the license number is specifically linked to my PC as long as I retain the existing configuration. From this, I understand that I could still access the W7 system at boot-up. Or have I been mis-informed?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you use the licence of W7 to install win 10, it converts the licence into a Win 10 licence. You can't continue to use Win 7 afterwards., It can only be used in one installation at a time.

The people at Microsoft aren't always correct about what they say about their own operating system.

Reactions: Cj-tech

USAFRet

Titan
Since then, I've learned that the license number is specifically linked to my PC as long as I retain the existing configuration. From this, I understand that I could still access the W7 system at boot-up. Or have I been mis-informed?
You have one license.
You wish to have two....WIn 7 AND WIn 10.

This is like trading in your car for a newer model.
You can go home with the new one, or you can keep the old one.
You don't get to drive home with both.

Accessing what is on the old WIn 7 drive is different than still having a valid license and being able to run that Win 7 as before.

Jul 10, 2021
You have one license.
You wish to have two....WIn 7 AND WIn 10.

This is like trading in your car for a newer model.
You can go home with the new one, or you can keep the old one.
You don't get to drive home with both.

Accessing what is on the old WIn 7 drive is different than still having a valid license and being able to run that Win 7 as before.

I take your point but, extending your analogy, I would have to have two drivers licences, one for each car! This will still be one system. If I did a fresh install with a new W10 licence on the second SSD, surely I'd then be able to access either at boot up?

USAFRet

Titan
I take your point but, extending your analogy, I would have to have two drivers licences, one for each car! This will still be one system. If I did a fresh install with a new W10 licence on the second SSD, surely I'd then be able to access either at boot up?
If these were completely standalone devices, never connected to the internet, sure.

But...they DO check in with the activation server farm for license verification.
"Oh hey...this WIn 7 license was used to Upgrade to Win 10. It is no longer valid."
Yes, it does that.

Same system does not matter, it is two individual installs.

The car analogy would extend to :
You can give us your old car and we'll give you the new one. $0.
or
You can BUY, at MSRP, the new car. Then you get to keep both.

For an inplace Upgrade, you have 30 days to roll back.
Well - how can he revert back, if windows 7 license is deactivated already (during upgrade)?
Then is must be - both windows 7 and windows 10 licenses are active and operational at the same time.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021
For an inplace Upgrade, you have 30 days to roll back.

The point is, I can't do the upgrade - I've tried it MANY TIMES NOW!

One other point you might have misunderstood. In my last message, I said that I was thinking of doing a clean W10 install with a NEW W10 licence. Surely that would still work alongside my old W7 installation by selecting which at bootup.

FYI, the reason I'm keen to continue accessing my W7 system is because I have some legacy programs I still frequently use which I can't transfer to W10

for home licence, win7 key will be no longer valid after 30days..which means he can install win7 before 30days from win10 activation and key will still work...he can also go back to win 10 then repat going back to 7...
but doing it repeatedly will reduce remining activation count...once it goes to zero..licence will become invalid

USAFRet

Titan

The activation takes that into account.

But basically, an inplace upgrade is one install. Used to be 7, then 10. One install.
Installing a second OS (new drive or partition) would require a second license, or consuming the original license for the new OS.

After 30 days?
Well...install Win 10 on a new drive (as the OP seems to want), and leave it Unactivated.
It will run just fine, seemingly forever. You do get the randomly appearing watermark at bottom left and a couple other small issues.

Once the user is satisfied Win 10 is OK and they wish to use i, apply that WIn 7 license to the Win 10 install.
Done.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
The point is, I can't do the upgrade - I've tried it MANY TIMES NOW!

One other point you might have misunderstood. In my last message, I said that I was thinking of doing a clean W10 install with a NEW W10 licence. Surely that would still work alongside my old W7 installation by selecting which at bootup.

FYI, the reason I'm keen to continue accessing my W7 system is because I have some legacy programs I still frequently use which I can't transfer to W10
If you purchase a new Win 10 license? Sure!
Absolutely no problem.
(I guess I missed that tidbit)

Each OS will have its own license.

Jul 10, 2021
If you purchase a new Win 10 license? Sure!
Absolutely no problem.
(I guess I missed that tidbit)

Each OS will have its own license.

Thanks for that. Obviously, this is the method I will have to follow - expensive though it will be!

It may well be that I'm able to use new programs within W10 which will overcome relying on my legacy W7 programs. Time will tell.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for that. Obviously, this is the method I will have to follow - expensive though it will be!

It may well be that I'm able to use new programs within W10 which will overcome relying on my legacy W7 programs. Time will tell.
Which specific programs are you thinking might not work?

I've had ZERO applications that worked with Win 7 fail to work with Win 10.

OK....ONE thing...my ancient (2003) Dell printer could not be convinced to work with Win 10.

Jul 10, 2021
Which specific programs are you thinking might not work?

I've had ZERO applications that worked with Win 7 fail to work with Win 10.

OK....ONE thing...my ancient (2003) Dell printer could not be convinced to work with Win 10.

I have to fess up here and say that I've lost the original installation disks/install programs and the publishers are unable to assist (even though I quoted the original licence numbers) except by offering me the latest versions of the programs at NO discount! (Are you listening ACDSee and PSP?)

USAFRet

Titan
I have to fess up here and say that I've lost the original installation disks/install programs and the publishers are unable to assist (even though I quoted the original licence numbers) except by offering me the latest versions of the programs at NO discount! (Are you listening ACDSee and PSP?)
PSP = Paintshop Pro?
I use it daily, currently PSP 2021 Ultimate, with all the extra bits.

Generally, you should be able to buy a new license at the Upgrade price.
That will give you the license key, AND a download link.

Jul 10, 2021
PSP = Paintshop Pro?
I use it daily, currently PSP 2021 Ultimate, with all the extra bits.

Generally, you should be able to buy a new license at the Upgrade price.
That will give you the license key, AND a download link.

Many thanks for your input - it's clarified many things. I'll get back to you in the next few days to update on progress.

Have a great weekend (to you and all advising!)