[SOLVED] Using Windows 7 HDD in Windows Vista computer. Is this possible?

Mar 4, 2021
I have a Windows Vista and a Windows 7 laptop, both by Toshiba and in working condition.
Would I be able to use the Windows 7 HDD in place of the Windows Vista HDD and change nothing else, as well as vice visa?
Will it work if I do change something, and if so, what needs to be changed?

USAFRet

Titan
I have a Windows Vista and a Windows 7 laptop, both by Toshiba and in working condition.
Would I be able to use the Windows 7 HDD in place of the Windows Vista HDD and change nothing else, as well as vice visa?
Will it work if I do change something, and if so, what needs to be changed?
You're hoping to put the WIn 7 drive in the other laptop, and hope it works?

Unless these are actually identical laptops, probably not. Not 'similar'....identical specs.

And the OS licensing WILL fail.

Maybe will work, maybe not. As people above said, if hardware is not identical, something may fail. And forget about existing Win7 license, you will need a new one.

Of course, mentioned laptop most likely will work with Windows 7 if installed from scratch. However you will require a new Windows license for it.

Mar 4, 2021
Using Windows 7 Hard drive in a Windows Vista laptop will function, and just needs to have time to install drivers, etc. Other than Internet compatibility, Windows Vista Hard drive functions in Windows 7 laptop and install drivers, etc. DO NOT KNOW if Internet Otions work, as the component itself did not work, though I imagine it would be fine.

USAFRet

Titan
Using Windows 7 Hard drive in a Windows Vista laptop will function, and just needs to have time to install drivers, etc. Other than Internet compatibility, Windows Vista Hard drive functions in Windows 7 laptop and install drivers, etc. DO NOT KNOW if Internet Otions work, as the component itself did not work, though I imagine it would be fine.
And that is not a universal result.
I've seen Win 7 fail between 2 very similar laptops.

TRENDING THREADS