Using Windows 8.1 OEM on another Motherboard/Computer

Kharzack

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015
Hello, I'm going to be upgrading my Motherboard, CPU and RAM in the upcoming weeks. I still wish to use my current HDD and Graphics Card. The problem is, I've heard that Windows 8 OEM can be used on a different set of hardware, however only on one computer at once, so how do I go about this? I'm expecting I'll need to uninstall Win8.1 OEM on this computer then use the same copy on the new motherboard, but how will I go about installing it onto the new motherboard. I also don't have any sort of disk or product key; Windows 8.1 solely came with my current hardware.

Solution
OEM license is tied to that original motherboard.
There was a short period of time when the Win 8 OEM license stated you move that to different hardware, but that went away quickly.
Now, it specifically states the OEM license is for the original hardware.

If it came with the computer, you might be out of luck. You can't download the install ISO from Microsoft, because they expect you to get that from the manufacturer.
And what you get from the manufacturer probably will not install on completely different hardware.

USAFRet

Titan
OEM license is tied to that original motherboard.
There was a short period of time when the Win 8 OEM license stated you move that to different hardware, but that went away quickly.
Now, it specifically states the OEM license is for the original hardware.

If it came with the computer, you might be out of luck. You can't download the install ISO from Microsoft, because they expect you to get that from the manufacturer.
And what you get from the manufacturer probably will not install on completely different hardware.

Solution

Kharzack

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

Thanks for clearing that up, so my option really is to just buy a copy of Windows 8 and just use that on the new hardware? One thing that is coming to mind is Windows 10, is the free upgrade (which is still eagerly waiting for me to install it) hardware locked? For example; if I were to install Win10 now, before my new upgrade, will it also work on the new motherboard? Sorry if this is confusing, this is a real head-scratcher for me.

USAFRet

Titan

Change the hardware first, then Upgrade to Win 10. That Upgrade is similarly locked to the hardware.

But, if you're buying, just buy a Retail license of Win 10. That is NOT locked to the hardware as is the OEM, or Win 10 Upgrade is.
You can change the hardware all you want with that Retail license. Obviously, only one PC at a time.

Kharzack

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

Thanks, once again. I don't want to make this thread too long... so I'm just going to ask one quick question: After upgrading the hardware, how would I go about installing Win10, I wouldn't be able to boot onto the desktop to download it if I don't have an OS installled?

USAFRet

Titan

When you buy it, it will come with the install media. Either DVD or USB.
If it doesn't, you probably did not buy a valid OS.

But also, you can download the ISO direct from MS. Use that to create USB or DVD media to boot from and install.

You get this set up before you change the hardware.