[SOLVED] Using wireless internet as source and providing wired internet connectivity in router

Sep 17, 2020
Hi all,
Is there a way to use a router with wireless capabilities to do the following:
* Connect to a wireless internet in range
* Provide internet to wired connections through the wireless internet it connects to
* I'd like to be able to assign static IPv4 addresses to the devices that connect to the router via wired connections
Please note, this is different from using a router as a range extender as the source of the internet connection is wireless and the user terminals are wired

Solution
This would be the V3. I do have a VONETS VAP11G-300 but am having trouble feeding this to the WAN port of the router and getting internet with static IP addresses. Trying to make this work with what I have for now but point taken about getting a newer router if needed.
OK, with a WNR2000v3 you can run DD-WRT firmware -- https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR2000V3
You can then use that WNR as a client bridge -- https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers#Client_.2F_Client_Bridge
If you want a single network you use client bridge mode. If you want to isolate the wired computers on the WNR you use client mode.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,
Is there a way to use a router with wireless capabilities to do the following:
* Connect to a wireless internet in range
* Provide internet to wired connections through the wireless internet it connects to
* I'd like to be able to assign static IPv4 addresses to the devices that connect to the router via wired connections
Please note, this is different from using a router as a range extender as the source of the internet connection is wireless and the user terminals are wired
Yes. Some routers provide a "client bridge" or "wireless bridge" mode.
Is this a public WIFI with a login portal, or a standard WIFI with a pre-shared key ?

Sep 17, 2020
Hi Kane,
This would be in my home. I have wifi from the main cable modem-->router box. Id like to connect to this wifi upstairs using my Netgear N300 router and then connect (with wired connections) to this router.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi Kane,
This would be in my home. I have wifi from the main cable modem-->router box. Id like to connect to this wifi upstairs using my Netgear N300 router and then connect (with wired connections) to this router.
What specific model of Netgear router. Have you already checked to see if DDWRT or Tomato firmware is supported? Most routers don't support client mode, but second source firmware can support it.

Sep 17, 2020
What specific model of Netgear router. Have you already checked to see if DDWRT or Tomato firmware is supported? Most routers don't support client mode, but second source firmware can support it.
It looks like its the WNR2000 N300 Netgear router. What is this mode called and how do I set it up such that wireless bridges the two routers while wired connections provide computers internet access (fixed ip addresses)?

kanewolf

Titan
It looks like its the WNR2000 N300 Netgear router. What is this mode called and how do I set it up such that wireless bridges the two routers while wired connections provide computers internet access (fixed ip addresses)?
Well, there have been a few versions of the WNR2000. You need to figure out "v1" or "v5" -- That is important.
That is a very old, ver low end router. I would recommend you spend $20 on E-Bay and get an Asus RT-N56U or RT-N65U. Either of those are 10x the router of that OLD Netgear.

Sep 17, 2020
This would be the V3. I do have a VONETS VAP11G-300 but am having trouble feeding this to the WAN port of the router and getting internet with static IP addresses. Trying to make this work with what I have for now but point taken about getting a newer router if needed.

kanewolf

Titan
OK, with a WNR2000v3 you can run DD-WRT firmware -- https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR2000V3
You can then use that WNR as a client bridge -- https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers#Client_.2F_Client_Bridge
If you want a single network you use client bridge mode. If you want to isolate the wired computers on the WNR you use client mode.

Solution