News Utility Restores Nvidia GPUs Full Mining Performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
So investing that $16k even in something as mundane as a high rate savings account would be more financially profitable in the first two years. And that's based on current energy and market values.

All I know is that electricity rates are going to increase.

With all that said I don't have any $ in any savings.
No one should be buying GPU's now for crypto mining and even if legit, this LHR remover changes nothing. The time to buy GPU's was a long time ago, pre-LHR, when returns were better and GPU prices weren't insane.

Kha - Overclock.Net

Commendable
Feb 23, 2022
As I wrote in the "Don't Start Mining in 2022" article, rough estimate for a 6x 3090 rig would be about $16,600, and profits would be (after power!) around $23 per day. That works out to 722 days to break even on the costs of all the hardware, plus power used while mining.

This in the perfect case crypto market will still be interesting by that time and all six 3090 won't require service/warranty/RMA. Because, if so, the ROI will go from 722 days to God knows where.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I agree that this seems sketchy as hell, but it's worth noting that Claymore miner, one of the most popular Eth miner tools (or at least it was back when I dabbled in mining back in ~2018), is also closed source. So this isn't new. That being said, I feel like the risk from installing an driver is greater just running a miner executable (presumably that lacks elevated permissions).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022
THIS IS A SCAM! IT'S ALREADY BEEN PROVEN! IT WILL DESTROY YOUR OS, AND YOU WILL LOSE EVRYTHING! 17 VIRUSES, TROJANS, KEY LOGGERS, SCREEN LOGGERS ETC. STAY AWAY!

evilpaul

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
The "driver" is a 155KB executable file with an Nvidia logo that downloads unknown additional files from a server (that's offline currently), the installer file has a backdoor, keylogger, and screen reader. bundled in it. You can't flash 3000 series cards with unsigned BIOS anyway, so the whole thing was very obviously a scam from the very beginning. The one file was flagged by 15 scanners on Virustotal for various malware, the other by 17. Might want to update the story to reflect that unless Tom's Hardware is in the malware distribution business.

Unless I calculated it wrong a 3090 would bring in ~$3.35usd and cost about $1.55usd in electricity per day here in Michigan.

And that is bases on a 360w load from GPU. I see they can pull much more lowering profits accordingly.

A 3090 for mining is completely retarded.
Stick to whatever your day job is, hopefully not involving any numbers or finances. While not the best value for dollar card to buy for mining, if you bought a 3090 at a less than super ridiculous price a year plus ago you should have already broken even on it.

I'm curious what happened with him when landlord discovered the cause. This is already a reason to sue that guy.
If somebody streams/games ~8 hours a day, and has more household appliances running than the miner, then they're probably using about the same power. I'm wondering what your internet lawyering would have the landlord sue for?

This in the perfect case crypto market will still be interesting by that time and all six 3090 won't require service/warranty/RMA. Because, if so, the ROI will go from 722 days to God knows where.
If you don't like it, don't do it. There's no need to go Karening the Manager on the Internet about it.

If you bought six 3090s for ~$2,000 a little over a year ago, and don't have stupid expensive electricity, you more than broke even by now. If you're filing your income taxes as a business the GPUs and electricity are business expenses and tax deductible. And you could still dump the 3090s today for whatever scalped prices they're going for on eBay. Or keep mining on them during the bear market/downturn and accumulate lots of crypto to sell when it spikes to all time highs in a year or three. If you're looking at diving in cryptomining at still inflated prices after the market's taken a hard drop, then, yeah, that might not be a great idea. Great insight.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
And those 5 3090s cost how much? The rig running them cost how much? How long until it pays itself off and starts making a profit?
Well if you get them retail its not quite as painful and if you are scaling its not that bad of a hit. If you are making 100-200/day, even at scalper prices the repay period is very short.

Thats besides the fact. Your comment is you would not make money mining on a 3090. That is incorrect. Jerod's payback analysis is correct if considering static crypto prices and very elevated scalper pricing. Those assumptions are for a point in time, not for overall profitability and for a startup in this climate.

Holding those assumtpions as a baseline, if you are pulling 1.5ghs for your mining setup, you should be making in the ballpark of $50/day. A $2200 3090 is paid back in a month and a week. Then its profit moving forward and the next card has a shorter payback period. That would be a pretty small operation.

Once a miner reaches a certain threshold, which will vary depending on the risk appetite, up front costs no longer matter. You have the blinders of a single card purchaser on. Once that point is reached it becomes a hunt for the highest output at the best efficiency.

Well if you get them retail its not quite as painful and if you are scaling its not that bad of a hit. If you are making 100-200/day, even at scalper prices the repay period is very short.

Thats besides the fact. Your comment is you would not make money mining on a 3090. That is incorrect. Jerod's payback analysis is correct if considering static crypto prices and very elevated scalper pricing. Those assumptions are for a point in time, not for overall profitability and for a startup in this climate.

Holding those assumtpions as a baseline, if you are pulling 1.5ghs for your mining setup, you should be making in the ballpark of $50/day. A $2200 3090 is paid back in a month and a week. Then its profit moving forward and the next card has a shorter payback period. That would be a pretty small operation.

Once a miner reaches a certain threshold, which will vary depending on the risk appetite, up front costs no longer matter. You have the blinders of a single card purchaser on. Once that point is reached it becomes a hunt for the highest output at the best efficiency.
Where does a single 3090 make $50/day profit?

When has the price of energy and Eth. been static?

Status
Not open for further replies.