News Utility Restores Nvidia GPUs Full Mining Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
NVIDIA claimed they used a 3 way check. vBIOS, UEFI, and Drivers. If they did this, then NVIDIA has a much bigger problem because it means their security keys to the UEFI have been hacked. Plus they failed to implement a boot level vBIOS loader which makes it NEAR impossible to hack without a verified unique key that's generated for each installation script (challenge response checksum)

In other words: NVIDIA really didn't give a F*, or their programmers suck at BASIC security routines.

Feb 22, 2022
"You also need graphics drivers modified by me."

Yeah, no, my dude. That's a red flag of the largest size and the brightest shade. Anyone desperate enough to even consider this is just asking to have their crypto swiped.

Yeah. This whole thing smells fishy. Even the github info looks jacked up.

Reactions: artk2219
Feb 22, 2022
There's no point to unlocking anyway. Even at the fastest speed you're still only making 3 or 4 dollars a day. That's less than the power those cards will consume at that rate. The only way this works is if you have free power.

AtrociKitty

Reputable
Apr 23, 2020
There's no point to unlocking anyway. Even at the fastest speed you're still only making 3 or 4 dollars a day. That's less than the power those cards will consume at that rate. The only way this works is if you have free power.
Not true at all. A 3080 costs about 60 cents a day to run, assuming (US-average) $0.11 per kWH. Even at current prices, a 3080 still profits about $3 a day.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
In the US, even a 3090 running full bore mining Ethereum will use well under $1 a day in electricity. The lower end Ampere cards use about $.30 a day. For anyone already mining, this limit remover would increase mining performance by 20-30% over cards with the limiter already partially removed for almost nothing.

In the US, even a 3090 running full bore mining Ethereum will use well under $1 a day in electricity. The lower end Ampere cards use about $.30 a day. For anyone already mining, this limit remover would increase mining performance by 20-30% over cards with the limiter already partially removed for almost nothing.
Unless I calculated it wrong a 3090 would bring in ~$3.35usd and cost about $1.55usd in electricity per day here in Michigan.

And that is bases on a 360w load from GPU. I see they can pull much more lowering profits accordingly.

A 3090 for mining is completely retarded.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Unless I calculated it wrong a 3090 would bring in ~$3.35usd and cost about $1.55usd in electricity per day here in Michigan.

And that is bases on a 360w load from GPU. I see they can pull much more lowering profits accordingly.

A 3090 for mining is completely retarded.
I've had a 3090 mining for about a year. Power draw is 300W once tuned to about 124MH/s. At the local power rate of .11, that comes out to .80 a day for power. Over the last week it has generated about $4.50 a day. Your calculated values aren't quite a match for real world numbers.

I've had a 3090 mining for about a year. Power draw is 300W once tuned to about 124MH/s. At the local power rate of .11, that comes out to .80 a day for power. Over the last week it has generated about $4.50 a day. Your calculated values aren't quite a match for real world numbers.
I based it on my local rates.

Good news for you is in less than a year yours will start making you some money. Maybe

I've legit sold a PC to a guy a few years ago who did mining, and the reason he worked for him is because electricity was included with his rent.

That had to be kinda rough on his landlord. Electricity here in New Jersey was something between 18-21 cents/kWH, if I recall correctly.

I'm curious what happened with him when landlord discovered the cause. This is already a reason to sue that guy.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I based it on my local rates.

Good news for you is in less than a year yours will start making you some money. Maybe
As I said. I've had it about a year now. Got it for $1040 shipped. Bought a water block for it a month later. At the time it was generating $15+ a day. It peaked well above that. The card and block paid itself off months ago, so your attempt and being a smartass bothers me not.

Regardless of your electricity rate, you calculated using the wrong power usage for a 3090.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
The people commenting on mining have no understanding of it all. Every 30 series is profitable. As you scale the impact of electricity is less and less. 5 x 90s running at real world production is generating between $23-25/day. Each draws 280-300 depending on the card and speed desired. So 1.5kw >= $23-25/day where in the US? If so you better shut down yout a/c, fridge and oven. Its more like $20/day profit or more.

If a card is acheiving greater than .250 efficiency ratio it is pretty much guaranteed to be profitable today at anywhere near average electricity costs. You will make money with a gtx 1060 6gb still, albiet next to nothing. Unlocking the LHR cards only increases their efficiency, the power draw remains the same. If the cycle continues in crypto value all said cards become substantially more profitable.

I dont know where you guys get your info, from some group thought crypto mining hate msg board or social media or whatever other misleading internet source, but understanding it will help understand the why to the pain in the gpu marketplace. And you could have probably made back some money spent on PC upgrades when profits were higher than now. Knowledge is power.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
D

Deleted member 14196

Who would be stupid enough to do this? If you can’t see the source code you don’t know what’s inside it so anyone who does this is a complete moron and they should expect to get there crypto wiped out as said above

Oh wait I’m talking about crypto miners here I guess I answered my own question they would most definitely be stupid enough to do it

The people commenting on mining have no understanding of it all. Every 30 series is profitable. As you scale the impact of electricity is less and less. 5 x 90s running at real world production is generating between $23-25/day. Each draws 280-300 depending on the card and speed desired. So 1.5kw >= $23-25/day where in the US? If so you better shut down yout a/c, fridge and oven. Its more like $20/day profit or more.

If a card is acheiving greater than .250 efficiency ratio it is pretty much guaranteed to be profitable today at anywhere near average electricity costs. You will make money with a gtx 1060 6gb still, albiet next to nothing. Unlocking the LHR cards only increases their efficiency, the power draw remains the same. If the cycle continues in crypto value all said cards become substantially more profitable.

I dont know where you guys get your info, from some group thought crypto mining hate msg board or social media or whatever other misleading internet source, but understanding it will help understand the why to the pain in the gpu marketplace. And you could have probably made back some money spent on PC upgrades when profits were higher than now. Knowledge is power.
And those 5 3090s cost how much? The rig running them cost how much? How long until it pays itself off and starts making a profit?

And those 5 3090s cost how much? The rig running them cost how much? How long until it pays itself off and starts making a profit?
As I wrote in the "Don't Start Mining in 2022" article, rough estimate for a 6x 3090 rig would be about $16,600, and profits would be (after power!) around $23 per day. That works out to 722 days to break even on the costs of all the hardware, plus power used while mining.

As I wrote in the "Don't Start Mining in 2022" article, rough estimate for a 6x 3090 rig would be about $16,600, and profits would be (after power!) around $23 per day. That works out to 722 days to break even on the costs of all the hardware, plus power used while mining.
So investing that $16k even in something as mundane as a high rate savings account would be more financially profitable in the first two years. And that's based on current energy and market values.

All I know is that electricity rates are going to increase.

With all that said I don't have any $ in any savings.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Who would be stupid enough to do this? If you can’t see the source code you don’t know what’s inside it so anyone who does this is a complete moron and they should expect to get there crypto wiped out as said above

Oh wait I’m talking about crypto miners here I guess I answered my own question they would most definitely be stupid enough to do it
Not sure why you're quoting me. No where have I advocated that people should be using this. I certainly won't. Not interested in potentially bricking my 3090. It's my main gaming card, and I'm not trying to find a replacement for it in this market. Certainly appreciate the personal attack though. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.