[SOLVED] V-sync causing stutter! o.o

Aug 4, 2019
This mainly happens in League of Legends but I also notices it in PUBG and rocket league. If I play with my V-sync turned off I get some screen tearing and not so smooth gameplay despite my gpu being able to keep up with 144hz display. When I turn my V-sync on everything starts to stutter horibly and my fps drops to 50-60 like but it feels like 3 or 4 fps.
I started 2 days ago but I dont rly know what I did to cause this issue.

Solution
well..your display has parematers as follow: Horizontal refresh:160kHz, Vertical refresh: 146Hz

for 4k @ 120Hz u will need 270Khz

so i suppose u have interlaced modes (good for movies, bad for eye strain)
4k interlaced needs just 140Khz @ 120Hz

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Trying to think what would cause stuttering with vsync. There isn't much.

Im not too familiar with Crimson and other vsync options. Was hoping youd say Nvidia because they lately included low latency version of vsync.

Wondering, you're totally sure your monitor is running 144Hz yeah?

Try limit your fps instead to 144. Think Crimson has an fps limiter? If not, use Afterburner.

Aug 4, 2019
Trying to think what would cause stuttering with vsync. There isn't much.

Im not too familiar with Crimson and other vsync options. Was hoping youd say Nvidia because they lately included low latency version of vsync.

Wondering, you're totally sure your monitor is running 144Hz yeah?

Try limit your fps instead to 144. Think Crimson has an fps limiter? If not, use Afterburner.
Yes my monitor is set to 144hz. In league of legends when v-sync is on doesn't matter if u cap or not fps couse it wont happen. I set my fps cap on 144fps but its still going to 300 and djust wont settle down but when v-sync is off it comes down to 144hz but that not smooth gameplay anymore

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's something not right here. Limiting fps does exactly that and should not go over the value set.

Try fps limiter in Crimson instead or Afterburner. If you can successfully limit fps, then see what vsync does then.

What monitor do you have? Does it have Freesync?

Aug 4, 2019
There's something not right here. Limiting fps does exactly that and should not go over the value set.

Try fps limiter in Crimson instead or Afterburner. If you can successfully limit fps, then see what vsync does then.

What monitor do you have? Does it have Freesync?
yes it has freesync. supports 144hz 1080p, 144hz 1440p and 120hz 4k

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ya know, for someone who owns a 4k 120Hz screen, which would have put a decent hole in the wallet, im surprised the model isn't scarred in the brain. Unless you weren't the one who bought it.

Im wondering if Freesync is even turned on and not just saying it is because of labels. Freesync afaik isn't automatic and needs to be enabled in the monitor menu.

But, if Freesync is indeed enabled then yeah try disable it as Skynet suggested.

Aug 4, 2019
Ya know, for someone who owns a 4k 120Hz screen, which would have put a decent hole in the wallet, im surprised the model isn't scarred in the brain. Unless you weren't the one who bought it.

Im wondering if Freesync is even turned on and not just saying it is because of labels. Freesync afaik isn't automatic and needs to be enabled in the monitor menu.

But, if Freesync is indeed enabled then yeah try disable it as Skynet suggested.

It wasnt rly expensive and all those things weren't even labeled on it. It just said 1080p 144hz freesync monitor and I bought it couse it was good for my needs (price was 200$). Then when I went into resolution settings I found out that it can be set to 1440p 144hz and 4k 120hz :D, even though I dont use those resolutions but I tried them and it rly works. When I bought this monitor I did manually turn freesync on and put 144hz on my display couse it was standardly set on 60 (probably many people think that it would come already at 144hz and dont ever turn it on but I knew that).

Aug 4, 2019
Monitor model would be good, it'll be on the bezel or the back.

AOC G2590PX
Thats the model but in the meantime of our conversation I did something and it came back to normal..I hope it will stay that way.
And I forgot to mention that that monitor is 1 year old and this is the first time it happened.

Righto, your monitor is a 1080p panel 144Hz. If youre able to change resolution to 1440p or 4k ( which i highly doubt knowing the model now) then show proof.

https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/g2590px/specs

1440p aren't made in 24" screens anyway and nor is 4k.

How, whatever it was that fixed it, hope you can remember and share if you don't mind and be honest.
It's likely AMD VSR is enabled, allowing downscaling from higher resolutions.

Reactions: boju
Aug 4, 2019
It's likely AMD VSR is enabled, allowing downscaling from higher resolutions.
Righto, your monitor is a 1080p panel 144Hz. If youre able to change resolution to 1440p or 4k ( which i highly doubt knowing the model now) then show proof.

How, whatever it was that fixed it, hope you can remember and share if you don't mind and be honest.

sure I have 2 screenshots but I dont know how to put it in this reply... :/ any help? xD

Aug 4, 2019

Might help if you mention where you're seeing 4k, in Windows or games. Vsr as mentioned if similar to Nvidia's Dsr, adds higher resolutions ingame but in Windows, not that im aware of.

I'll be home in about an hour or two and I will s4nd u screens there.
You can change resilution wherever you want. In windows resolution settings, in games, in advanced resolution settings.