Question VA looks worse than my TN panel

Feb 17, 2019
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me sort out why my TN LCD panel monitor looks better (to me, and several others who have seen it) than my newly purchased VA panel. The two in question are the MSI MAG240VC (VA) and the Asus VG245H (TN). I no longer care about refresh rates or response times very much, and I much more enjoy a quality picture over fast response times. I am interested in picking up a second of ONE of these to match a dual monitor setup for my PC, and the other will be repurposed. I am curious if I have missed something in the settings/config of the MSI or if there is a hardware difference causing the picture quality to suffer. Any advice is appreciated.

I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures, but here is an imgur url. ( To be completely honest, I am in a rush to post this tonight and haven't read rules on links. Apologies if this is against those rules, but imgur is a well known site and I will only provide the url, with no external link)

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/jaPxcdS

EDIT:::: This URL automatically updated to a hyperlink.

The TN panel is on the right, and VA on the left. These pictures show that the panel on the right clearly shows more color saturation. I have tried to calibrate the settings through Windows for the MSI, and played with every single setting on the monitor interface possible. No matter what combination of settings I try, I can't get it to come close to the picture quality the Asus TN panel shows. (Those pictures posted, show the best quality I could come up with for each monitor).

I realize that the images seem to make the Asus look a little pixelated, but I am sure this is due to the photography capture on my phone. Looking at them in person, there is not sharpness difference, but only a color saturation difference. If for some reason this might matter, these are hooked up to a Geforce 630, with the MSI plugged into the HDMI port, and the Asus to the VGA port. I have hooked BOTH monitors up to my Xbox individually (through HDMI for each test), and the same image difference is apparent, so I highly doubt it is a connectivity issue.

Can someone please try to explain what might be happening here? I don't really understand why every source suggests VA panels are much better than TN for image quality when I am finding the complete opposite.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
If picture quality was your preference then you must have gone for IPS panel from good brands.
VA panels have slightly better color reproduction and better viewing angles than the TN panel in general.
As per the image, i don't know if it's a bad VA panel,
please try to fiddle with some on-screen controls or change ports to see for any changes in quality.

Feb 17, 2019
I realize I should have bought an IPS now, but at the time, I thought otherwise.. I don't feel like trying to sell these off to buy all new monitors.

I have already messed with all on-screen settings I can find on both monitors. MSI doesn't have a VGA port, but as I mentioned, I did try both with my xbox through the same port on that device. Same results from that.