Vacation Plan

I am planning to go overseas for a couple months and won't be using my phone
at all. I had heard there is a vacation plan that is offered so that I don't
have to break my contract and I don't have to extend my contract when I get
back. However, I haven't been able to talk to a CSR that knows anything
about this. I'm thinking the only people I could call would possibly be
Cancellations. Does anyone have information about this?

Thanks,
Jared

In article <HO-dna26xr8tEDjdRVn-uQ@adelphia.com>,
"Jared Geiger" <jared@compuwizz.net> wrote:

> I am planning to go overseas for a couple months and won't be using my phone
> at all. I had heard there is a vacation plan that is offered so that I don't
> have to break my contract and I don't have to extend my contract when I get
> back. However, I haven't been able to talk to a CSR that knows anything
> about this. I'm thinking the only people I could call would possibly be
> Cancellations. Does anyone have information about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Jared

This is typical of many SprintPCS issues. Its not discussed on the web
site, (other cases things are ambiguous); and different "experts" give
different answers when posted in here. The SprintPCS web site is years
behind the curve, as it doesn't have a SEARCH function. GOOD LUCK

I did a Google search to try and help you. Not sure I succeeded.
According to one SprintPCS employee, it would require a renewal of your
contract upon return.

=================
From: O/Siris (0siris@sprntpcs.com)
Subject: Re: The Vacation Plan
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
Date: 2004-03-15 21:50:18 PST

The Vacation plan basically keeps your phone
number "warm" for you until you come back. And yes, it requires
renewal of the agreement.

--
R?
O/Siris

=====================

According to some else, different things happen:

From: Lawrence G. Mayka (lgmayka000@ameritech.net)
Subject: Re: What should I do with my plan if I am going out of country
for a longer term?
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
Date: 2003-06-27 07:01:03 PST

"davidave" <davidave@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> What should I do with my plan if I am going out of country for a longer
> term?

I think Sprint does have a vacation plan (perhaps $5 or $10 per month).
However, it does not substitute for fulfilling your regular agreement
("contract"). In other words, after you come off the vacation plan you
must still fulfil the remainder of your agreement period.

======================
And yet another poster lists the caveats as more severe than osiris did:

From: Gr8 Oz (theoz@emeraldcity.com)
Subject: Re: SPCS Vacation plan questions
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
Date: 2003-09-28 23:44:54 PST

Good Morning Mark!
Hope all is going well with you....
I hope this information will help inre to the Vacation Plan...

You are correct with the Monthly Recurring Charge being $5
per month for this service plan.
Minute usage is billed at $1 per min. if the phone is used
during this time....

1. Voicemail is NOT avail during this time. In fact none of the
Sprint serifs features are avail while on this plan.
2. When you have your account "reactivated" upon returning
a new 12 or 24 mo. agreement applies (your choice as to
how long the new contract is for). And your acct is
configured with one of the "current" calling plans at the
the time you have the acct reactivated...It can be either
one of our "Standard Plans" or a "Promotional Plan" if
avail to you.
3. Any customer solutions rep can assist you with setting
up the Vacation Plan.

Basically, the ETF (Early Term Fee) is waived while on this
plan becuz you can opt to have the vacation plan on your
account for up to 12 consecutive mos. Setting your account
up on this special plan extends your agreement for 1 yr from
the date you specify the vacation plan to start. In other
words, you are not charged the ETF because you are not
canceling your account...it works the same as changing
your current "standard plan". Anytime you change your
plan, as long as you renew the 1yr term, the termination
is not applicable...The vacation plans allows you to maintain
the account and phone number until you have services
reinstated. Upon of the acct,
the vacation plan ($5 MRC) is removed and replaced with
an actual calling plan and all of your optional/additional svc
features are restored. Have I just totally confused you?
I want to make sure you have all the valid/correct info b4
you call *2....You will need to specifically ask for your
account to be changed to the Vacation plan.....
I hope this helps with all of your questions... :)
--
Because there is a satisfied customer today...
The company can open their doors

SUPER CAVEAT - Upon return you have to call up and reactivate your
account. You can't set a date ahead of time, or merely start using the
phone, unless you want a GIANT bill with calls at $1/minute.

http://www.complaints.com/directory/2004/march/30/16.htm

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

(Jared Geiger) wrote:
<<I am planning to go overseas for a couple months and won't be using my
phone at all. I had heard there is a vacation plan that is offered so
that I don't have to break my contract and I don't have to extend my
contract when I get back. However, I haven't been able to talk to a CSR
that knows anything about this. I'm thinking the only people I could
call would possibly be Cancellations. Does anyone have information about
this? >>

A vacation plan does exist... but just be sure *no one* uses your phone
at ALL while you are doing the vacation plan. It includes NO anytime
minutes...and if the phone is used, it costs like $1 per minute.

However, upon returning... when you seek to switch back to a regular
plan, your older plan may not be available anymore. Your new plan has
to be one that Sprint currently offers, and I believe it does require
you to resign a new agreement. I don't know if its a one or two year
agreement, and I don't know how vacation plans affect people with
retention deals. But if you are on a regular published plan and Sprint
no longer offers it, you will lose it. Buyer beware.

Hope this helps,
Eric

In article <768-40A6ABE9-58@storefull-3233.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> (Jared Geiger) wrote:
> <<I am planning to go overseas for a couple months and won't be using my
> phone at all. I had heard there is a vacation plan that is offered so
> that I don't have to break my contract and I don't have to extend my
> contract when I get back. However, I haven't been able to talk to a CSR
> that knows anything about this. I'm thinking the only people I could
> call would possibly be Cancellations. Does anyone have information about
> this? >>
>
> A vacation plan does exist... but just be sure *no one* uses your phone
> at ALL while you are doing the vacation plan. It includes NO anytime
> minutes...and if the phone is used, it costs like $1 per minute.
>
> However, upon returning... when you seek to switch back to a regular
> plan, your older plan may not be available anymore. Your new plan has
> to be one that Sprint currently offers, and I believe it does require
> you to resign a new agreement. I don't know if its a one or two year
> agreement, and I don't know how vacation plans affect people with
> retention deals. But if you are on a regular published plan and Sprint
> no longer offers it, you will lose it. Buyer beware.

That's not a vacation plan.

That's just Sprint eliminating the early termination fee.

In article <elmop-EE5285.20353915052004@news.usenetserver.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> In article <768-40A6ABE9-58@storefull-3233.bay.webtv.net>,
> caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:
>
> > (Jared Geiger) wrote:
> > <<I am planning to go overseas for a couple months and won't be using my
> > phone at all. I had heard there is a vacation plan that is offered so
> > that I don't have to break my contract and I don't have to extend my
> > contract when I get back. However, I haven't been able to talk to a CSR
> > that knows anything about this. I'm thinking the only people I could
> > call would possibly be Cancellations. Does anyone have information about
> > this? >>
> >
> > A vacation plan does exist... but just be sure *no one* uses your phone
> > at ALL while you are doing the vacation plan. It includes NO anytime
> > minutes...and if the phone is used, it costs like $1 per minute.
> >
> > However, upon returning... when you seek to switch back to a regular
> > plan, your older plan may not be available anymore. Your new plan has
> > to be one that Sprint currently offers, and I believe it does require
> > you to resign a new agreement. I don't know if its a one or two year
> > agreement, and I don't know how vacation plans affect people with
> > retention deals. But if you are on a regular published plan and Sprint
> > no longer offers it, you will lose it. Buyer beware.
>
> That's not a vacation plan.
>
> That's just Sprint eliminating the early termination fee.

Nope, if you quit during the vacation or after, you would be subject to
the ETF. All the vacation plan basically does is hold your phone number
available to you for $5/month.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

(Elmo P. Shagnasty) wrote:
<<That's not a vacation plan.
That's just Sprint eliminating the early termination fee. >>

No, that is a "Vacation Plan". It holds your phone number in instances
when you know you are not going to use your phone for an extended period
of time. The ETF would still apply.

In article <rmarkoff-529C15.19505315052004@news06.east.earthlink.net>,
"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > That's not a vacation plan.
> >
> > That's just Sprint eliminating the early termination fee.
>
> Nope, if you quit during the vacation or after, you would be subject to
> the ETF. All the vacation plan basically does is hold your phone number
> available to you for $5/month.

And then make you go back in on a brand new full contract on whatever
plans are available when you get back.

It smells funny, because it's bad.

And then, when you get back, you find all these buck a minute phone
calls on your bill--and no matter what you say, Sprint will insist that
you must have made those calls, that there couldn't possibly have been
any billing errors.

Yeah, I see that one coming down 5th Avenue.