VAIO AHCI mode option not in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Hello,

I have a 1 year old Vaio VPCEB4L1E which I want to install a Vertex 3 SSD - but there is no option in BIOS to change to AHCI. The Sony site is next to useless, but assuming the chipset HM55 is capable then what will happen when I install W7 ? will the install see the drive and select AHCI ??

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

I also have an old Snoy Vaio, without that option. But, in stalled an ssd anyway. it's been in there for two years. It still greatly increaded the performance and has has no issues at all. The laptop does have win 7, which I installed myself. originally, it came with win xp.

ulysses35

Distinguished
no options for ide or ahci whatsoever - machine is not that old either, running i3 cpu ... either that or sony decided that it wasnt an option that was needed

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Your post got me wondering....So, I looked in my Sony Vaio Control panel, to see which controller I was using. I did this after looking in my bios, and discovering...same as you, that there was no option to change to ahci. What I found, in my control panel, surprised me! I saw that my laptop was indeed using an ahci controller. apparently, the Sony laptop knows when you install an ssd, and makes that change for you, automatically. At least, mine did... Otherwise, let me recommend Secunia PSI. I have been using it for a long time now and really like it. It will automatically keep you advised when driver updates and software updates become available for your computer.

ulysses35

Distinguished
laptop is working fine with the SSD - hoping to remove the CD/DVD and put a caddy in for the old 500gb HDD.

I looked and the VAIO does automatically choose AHCI controller - so looks like its up and runnign ok with no need to make changes.

Griggs45

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015

This just saved my life right now. Same thing Sony Vaio laptop, Slim pickens for BIOS options. No Disk Controller Mode selection in there. I just bought a SSD and had chatted with Crucial and Sony support and tried many other forums. Finally found this site and your answer. Sure enough I checked and Voilà, it's already in A.H.C.I. mode. So hopefully it stays in that mode when I put in the new SSD. Device manager is a great tool. Thank you so much for your answer, and kudos on the Secunia PSI reference.

phanthuan108

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
Hey Guys!
I am facing the same problem with sony vaio VPCSB36FG, and I installed new windows 10, SSD intel 530 series.
But I don't now how can I check my laptop is runing AHCI mode?
Who can help me to check this mode step by step?
Thanks so much everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.