Vaio flip notebook screen flickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avi Assayag

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
http://
Out of the blue, my sony vaio flip 13 model 2012 (SVF13N13CXB) started doing this :-/
In 2013, just a week after I bought it, the machine suffered from random and frequent shutdowns. I RMA'd it back to Sony and they replaced the motherboard. Then, the touchscreen started making contact with the keyboard, resulting in random sleep wakes and key-presses. And then, the mouse pad's left side sunk into the body of the PC, so I had no choice but to fix it manually. After that, the fan made a grinding noise, so I ordered a replacement and fixed it as well. I have a handy way with electronics, But NOW THIS HAPPENED. And I guess it's a hardware issue, but I need some troubleshooting guidelines about what is actually wrong, and how could I fix it myself. I have no spare money to invest in a shiny new Vaio or Surface Pro since I've gone back being a student (academic nursing school n'shit), and the special abilities and versatility of this puppy are abesolutely crucial to my day to day life (my whole notebook, as is my life, is digitized on ONENOTE. When it works it really is second to none...
Any help would be immensely appreciated :-/

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=QtTqZjSxvhk

Solution
[SOLVED]!!!
some important updates on the situation: turns out that this seemingly catastrophic failure was caused by a software incompatibility issue. To be more specific - it was MY OWN inconsiderate borderline retarded behavior that jeopardized my precious PC. I got greedy and stupid, and installed a pirated game that apparently was bundled with a corrupt directX or something, which totally shifted the system toward instability. a long story short; I managed to troubleshoot the source by sorting to the last line of defense, i.e booting to SAFE MODE and hoping to god that the flickering daemon will not present itself there. I must have done something right in my past life, because the all-encompassing karma spirits decided to grant me this...

Avi Assayag

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
[SOLVED]!!!
some important updates on the situation: turns out that this seemingly catastrophic failure was caused by a software incompatibility issue. To be more specific - it was MY OWN inconsiderate borderline retarded behavior that jeopardized my precious PC. I got greedy and stupid, and installed a pirated game that apparently was bundled with a corrupt directX or something, which totally shifted the system toward instability. a long story short; I managed to troubleshoot the source by sorting to the last line of defense, i.e booting to SAFE MODE and hoping to god that the flickering daemon will not present itself there. I must have done something right in my past life, because the all-encompassing karma spirits decided to grant me this one and call it a day with driver issue only. I uninstalled the Intel graphics driver with DDU and booted into a normal and stable desktop. Hurayyyyyy :)))))))))))

Solution

Avi Assayag

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
its definitely a software issue. although I can also out my money on the fact that it can be "the grounding effect loop" as well. tried using the pc after uninstalling the intel graphics driver wit DDU
+ uninstalling the c++ redist versions with revo uninstaller pro. the thing works super stable. after loading the driver again (tried multiple versions) - it starts doing this shit. so it must be some kind of update + maybe the grounding effect, since I noticed that when I try to charge my mobile via the usb thingy on the charger, I get multiple and unending "phone connected" notifications. so it must be sending spoofed &/or unstable currents to the poor phone. be that as it may, the unbelievable negative track record of this vaio only makes me sad and happy at the same time; on the one hand sony invented the true perfect laptop form factor solution, being both sleek and luxurious, and at the same time uncanny in its practicality. but at the same time, you fuckers DID cut a lot of corners vie sa vie Q.C and build, rendering my poor laptop utterly useless. it’s a constant source of aggravation to me :-/
for the 1349$ premium markup (noting that the mac pro with better specs cost 999$) - this is a real insult to my hard earned money.

but not all is lost - sony did finally went bust and the customers made the obvious de-facto choice to NOT buy your company's garbage anymore. instead, the good engineers who invented this SUPER UNDERATED FORMFACTOR kept on creating the successor of this; with the uncompromising dedication and artfulness, that stays faithful to THE SAMURAI SPIRIT - that is the VAIO. This long lasting JAPANESE tradition that strives for perfection, and even to consume oneself so deeply for the cause, that I bet some of the engineers at Vaio died from KAROSHI just for me to have my computer.

I hope someday I'll be financially well off enough to afford myself one unit of this exquisite engineering and craftsmanship.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.