[SOLVED] Valorant doesn't use the 90%-100% of my gpu

Apr 11, 2021
I have tried everything, seen 23423542 tutorials on yt, but nothing works. (rx570) (ryzen 3 1200 af)

Solution

Bottleneck calculators are utterly garbage and they should never be considered trustworthy.
What

What? No. 8GB of DDR3 is not that big of a bottleneck for a measly RX 570 and Ryzen 3 1200. OP, what FPS do you get when you play Valorant and GTA V?
First off 8gb is an issue although not big BUT what really makes it bigger is the speed of ram which is mediocre at best. Combined with the low ipc, low clocks, low threads CPU, becomes the problem.

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
then you might be bottlenecked somewhere else. More system details would be good.

look if your ryzen 3 is maxing out. id guess so.

Upping the graphics quality might bring your gpu usage up in this case but wont increase fps.

Reactions: Muyaa
Apr 11, 2021
then you might be bottlenecked somewhere else. More system details would be good.

look if your ryzen 3 is maxing out. id guess so.

Upping the graphics quality might bring your gpu usage up in this case but wont increase fps.

I'm sure it must be a bottleneck, because whatever I do, the results are the same. The thing here is that the cpu is used more than the gpu when I am playing games, for example in gta, the use of the gpu is around 40 and the cpu 70-80. (I've been like this since the purchase, approximately 8-9 months )

The photo that I attach below, you can see the ups and downs that the gpu makes, it rises to 90% but in 1-2 seconds it returns to 30-40.

https://ibb.co/6PzStzw

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 af
Pinnacle Ridge 12nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1332MHz (20-19-19-43)
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. A320M-A PRO MAX (MS-7C52) (AM4)
Graphics
LG FULL HD (1920x1080@59Hz)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 570 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Last edited:

Bottleneck calculators are utterly garbage and they should never be considered trustworthy.
What

What? No. 8GB of DDR3 is not that big of a bottleneck for a measly RX 570 and Ryzen 3 1200. OP, what FPS do you get when you play Valorant and GTA V?
First off 8gb is an issue although not big BUT what really makes it bigger is the speed of ram which is mediocre at best. Combined with the low ipc, low clocks, low threads CPU, becomes the problem.

Reactions: Herr B
Solution

akimikage

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

The problem is the low GPU usage though and an 8GB of DDR3 1333 won't cause the issue at hand. I mean just 40% of GPU usage? No way, its that big of a bottleneck. That's why I was asking the OP what FPS he gets when he plays games.

akimikage

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
You get low GPU usage when the GPU can render frames faster than the CPU can send it new frames to work on or you play with vsync on and hit the vsync limit.
Yeah but we don't know what FPS he gets. He only stated he gets low GPU usage and it seems like he's having very low framerates hence he's asking for help. As I stated before, that is why I was asking the OP what FPS he gets to determine if he's having low GPU because it's normal or if he's having problems.

The frames are produced by the cpu and then rendered by the GPU. If the cpu hits a limit (bottleneck) by itself or by another component, will not produce enough frames for the GPU to render at full utilisation, making it work at lower clocks or at lower utilisation.

See why I blame cpu and ram for the low gpu utilisation?

akimikage

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
The frames are produced by the cpu and then rendered by the GPU. If the cpu hits a limit (bottleneck) by itself or by another component, will not produce enough frames for the GPU to render at full utilisation, making it work at lower clocks or at lower utilisation.

See why I blame cpu and ram for the low gpu utilisation?
Yes, I see your point. But a measly RX 570 is so bottlenecked by 8GB of DDR4 and a Ryzen 3 Quad core with a clock speed of 3.1Ghz that a game would only use 40% of a GPU? I'd never argue if the GPU is in the range of 6700X or RTX 3070 but a measly RX 570? I don't think an RX 570 is that powerful.

In short, yes.

We don't have all the information needed to know so we just assume. Most probably the GPU is using more than 40% but OP notices the low fps and then sees that it's gpu is at 40%.

His cpu is one of the lowest performance wise and the mere 4cores are restricting gaming experience. The 8GB of RAM simply are not enough for modern gaming and the slow speed makes it even worse. The combination of the two surely has an impact in gaming performance. It might not be the ONLY issue though. We need more info.

EDIT:
View: https://youtu.be/fD9QHPaD9ak

Just found this. It has same cpu and gpu, 16GB ram of 2400. See how the cpu is almost always at near 100% and the GPU is fluctuating between 0 and 100% while most of the time is below 50%.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
I don't think an RX 570 is that powerful.
According to the system recommendations, Valorant should be able to hit 144fps on a 1050Ti, so the RX570 shouldn't be anywhere near being the bottleneck there.

Yeah, it seems like he has V-Sync on to 60Hz and he thinks the GPU usage should be way higher than 40%.
Yup, vsync on is a very likely option and I pointed that possibility out an hour ago :)

If the GPU should be able to push close to 144 fps according to the devs and vsync on limits it to 60fps, you get almost exactly 40% GPU usage.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
There is always a bottleneck... I don't understand the obsession over GPUs not being %100 utilized. There are 20 new threads on the subject every day.

I'm sure it must be a bottleneck, because whatever I do, the results are the same. The thing here is that the cpu is used more than the gpu when I am playing games, for example in gta, the use of the gpu is around 40 and the cpu 70-80. (I've been like this since the purchase, approximately 8-9 months )

The photo that I attach below, you can see the ups and downs that the gpu makes, it rises to 90% but in 1-2 seconds it returns to 30-40.

https://ibb.co/6PzStzw

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 af
Pinnacle Ridge 12nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1332MHz (20-19-19-43)
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. A320M-A PRO MAX (MS-7C52) (AM4)
Graphics
LG FULL HD (1920x1080@59Hz)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 570 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)

FYI Radeon software is not a reliable tool to measure performance. Use HWiNFO64 & MSI Afterburner. Even if your GPU could be %100 utilized its not going to show a constant line with the same utilization. There are fluctuations as is with all hardware. "Not even geniuses are geniuses %100 of the time."

Apr 11, 2021
You get low GPU usage when the GPU can render frames faster than the CPU can send it new frames to work on or you play with vsync on and hit the vsync limit.

Im not playing with vsync on, i turned off since i download the game. Settings on low, (i already tried turning on high, but the lag stills there) All fps limit options are on off aswell, im 100% sure that is not any issue from the gameconfig.

Apr 11, 2021
What

Valorant: 170 fps (Unstable, it feels lag, stunts.)
Gta online: 60 fps (Stable, it feels much better than valorant) (Same gpu behaviour with valorant, but it reaches 99-100 %)

Apr 11, 2021
There is always a bottleneck... I don't understand the obsession over GPUs not being %100 utilized. There are 20 new threads on the subject every day.

FYI Radeon software is not a reliable tool to measure performance. Use HWiNFO64 & MSI Afterburner. Even if your GPU could be %100 utilized its not going to show a constant line with the same utilization. There are fluctuations as is with all hardware. "Not even geniuses are geniuses %100 of the time."

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/g6tn1t/riot_vanguard_disables_voltage_control_on_msi/