[SOLVED] Valuable parts of old IDE drives

May 12, 2020
Which valuable parts can a used functioning IDE/PATA drive have? I discovered a working Toshiba MK2018GAP HDD2164 drive (similar to http://hood.de/auktionsdetails.cfm?auctionID=91399293 , probably the same) at home, and some folks (who disappeared from my view and whom I cannot ask any longer, unfortunately) said that these drives are traded for 1000 € in certain circles because of some scarce (?) components they have. Now, I wonder which parts could be so valuable in such a drive?

Last edited:
Solution
The magnets in them would be really strong. Might have some value there. I know scap yards will buy the little pc boards, but onlyaround $2-5 per pound. And you need enough pounds to make it worth the while. A drive can't be worth "1000s" if it's sold for $100.

4745454b

Titan
The magnets in them would be really strong. Might have some value there. I know scap yards will buy the little pc boards, but onlyaround $2-5 per pound. And you need enough pounds to make it worth the while. A drive can't be worth "1000s" if it's sold for $100.

Solution