Valve Boss Gabe Newell Says ''Windows 8 is a Catastrophe''

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Time to start moving STEAM to Linux and Open GL, STEAM is already working fine with OS X and Open GL MS the company that bought out SKYPE and then rewrote the code so the FEDS could easily listen in on your conversations. The same thing MS did to their OS after the FEDS dropped the monoply suit against them in the 90s. MS and the FEDS are in bed together, Google too adn if I had to guess I wouldn't trust OS X either.Long Live Linux[/citation]
lol... where do you conspiracy theorists get this bullshit from?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]Which top tier OEMs is he talking about?For your non-internet gamers, touch is a catastrophe and something that none of us will use while gaming. That or we won't use it in the same capacity we use keyboard/mouse. For your average user, adding touch isn't going to change anything for them as it doesn't matter if you click your friends cow with a mouse or touch it on your screen.More importantly, is the title of the article a little misleading?We get a short blurb on Why Windows 8 is a catastrophe, a link, no in depth look at why Gabe said that, and the large majority of the article on future user interaction technologies.That said, there is some merit to the HUD/Augmented reality thoughts and there are several big players that are looking into it (Google, Microsoft, etc.). The future is going to be an interesting one. I can't wait for minority report interaction (or more recently, if you noticed, how Tony & Bruce interacted with data in The Avengers).[/citation]

touch is bad for gameing...

really...

touch is probably the only way that a rts could be comfortably played without a mouse and keyboard, and dare i say, could be better than mouse and keyboard.

think of all the gestures that you could use in a video game they are on a cellphone or tablet now, like the zoom in function... that would make map navigation so much better.

a game like sim city could be done with touch only and could be a beter overall experiance than mouse keyboard.

granted my cream would be a mix of the two, give me the keyboard and mouse with a touch pad for the gestures when i need them.

granted i never said a fps would be better with a gun, or anything close to that. but imagine battlefield where people a high enough rank could draw on the map where you need to go, and what areas you should hold. it could ad to the game, and would only be put in if touch was a universally accepted interface.

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]I'm thinking, with the pricing we've already seen for Windows 8, he's talking that MS is going to be selling the OS directly to customers at nearly the same price as to OEMs. This will cut into any profit an OEM might make from an OS that would normally be $40 to them and $100+ to the customer. They'd be losing about $40-50 on their margin.[/citation]

Windows 8 is only $40 if you download it. Most people that buy PCs aren't willing to buy the hardware and software in different bundles, most of them will buy it from the PC manufacturer which means they will end up paying the $100 price for the OS that the OEM is used to selling at

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I dont understand what all the bitching and moaning is about. All it takes is one click and you're at the classic windows desktop. Granted the start button is gone and that was a mistake on their part, but having used windows 8 for the past 6 months I find that I don't need it anymore. Would I like an option to have the classic windows with the start button? Yes.

Is windows 8 a disaster like some people on here claim? Not at all, its very user friendly and if you don't have a touch screen it doesn't really matter since you have a mouse in place of the touch screen. I can guarantee that anyone who claims its clunky and bloated hasn't actually used it and is just parroting some other idiot.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]touch is bad for gameing...really...touch is probably the only way that a rts could be comfortably played without a mouse and keyboard, and dare i say, could be better than mouse and keyboard. think of all the gestures that you could use in a video game they are on a cellphone or tablet now, like the zoom in function... that would make map navigation so much better. a game like sim city could be done with touch only and could be a beter overall experiance than mouse keyboard.granted my cream would be a mix of the two, give me the keyboard and mouse with a touch pad for the gestures when i need them. granted i never said a fps would be better with a gun, or anything close to that. but imagine battlefield where people a high enough rank could draw on the map where you need to go, and what areas you should hold. it could ad to the game, and would only be put in if touch was a universally accepted interface.[/citation]

I don't think it's fair to make a statement like you did, then back peddle with "Well I never said it would be good for the FPS". It certainly does has it's place, but less for core gamers (FPS, MMO, etc.) and more for casual gaming (Any Sim game would qualify).

And that's not to say it's a bad thing - evolution improves every genre and there is merit to your ideas. However, I don't think we'll see a good touch driven mainstream shooter (not counting rail shooters), MMORPG, etc.
Something else that I've been thinking about is that you'd either need to oversimplify controls or have an extra interface so you aren't constantly obstructing your field of vision with your hands. Or you could use the edges like a tablet (hand on each side) - but that would also mean an expensive display supporting at least 4 or 5 simultaneous touch inputs.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I see Xbox Live and Windows Store as being similar to that "Online Services" folder and MSN crap that used to come prepakaged with earlier version of Windows. Just something that needs to be "cleaned up" once you get your new computer or OS install. After which I download the Steam client (or Steam app in the case of Windows 8) and move on with life.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]I don't think it's fair to make a statement like you did, then back peddle with "Well I never said it would be good for the FPS". It certainly does has it's place, but less for core gamers (FPS, MMO, etc.) and more for casual gaming (Any Sim game would qualify).And that's not to say it's a bad thing - evolution improves every genre and there is merit to your ideas. However, I don't think we'll see a good touch driven mainstream shooter (not counting rail shooters), MMORPG, etc.Something else that I've been thinking about is that you'd either need to oversimplify controls or have an extra interface so you aren't constantly obstructing your field of vision with your hands. Or you could use the edges like a tablet (hand on each side) - but that would also mean an expensive display supporting at least 4 or 5 simultaneous touch inputs.[/citation]

back peddling is saying that touch wouldn't work in an fps game outside of a map?

touch would greatly help mmo, so long as the screen is big enough, as you could poke yor skills instead of memorizing key combinations or moving the mouse to get it.

for an rpg, again, same as mmo, use your fingers instead of mouse (im thinking turn based or at least pauseable rpg instead of action)

for an rts i believe it would be better than mouse, or at least its equal,

some games will never lend themselves well to touch, like a fps or action games, but almost anything plotting or methodical could benefit from touch.

I like Windows 8 for a lot of its features and performance but the metro UI gets in the way too often. It's really annoying sometimes. I just wish they would fix it so that people who don't want to use the metro apps can have a good experience.

[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]No but all the games from STEAM on OS X are in Open GL and will be for Linux too, now shut your hole.[/citation]

then explain why some games that are on the PC version of steam are not available on Steam for OSX

FAIL

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I am going to have to agree with Newell on this, I see Vista2 (aka: Windows 8) as a disaster. Metro should've never been introduced for desktop -- or laptop -- PCs, it should've only been for tablets & cell phones. I have no idea why MS thought it would be a good idea to shove it down desktop user's throats, as well as take away the start menu!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Time to start moving STEAM to Linux and Open GL, STEAM is already working fine with OS X and Open GL MS the company that bought out SKYPE and then rewrote the code so the FEDS could easily listen in on your conversations. The same thing MS did to their OS after the FEDS dropped the monoply suit against them in the 90s. MS and the FEDS are in bed together, Google too adn if I had to guess I wouldn't trust OS X either.Long Live Linux[/citation]
In your opinion, what type of foil works best?

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]back peddling is saying that touch wouldn't work in an fps game outside of a map? touch would greatly help mmo, so long as the screen is big enough, as you could poke yor skills instead of memorizing key combinations or moving the mouse to get it.for an rpg, again, same as mmo, use your fingers instead of mouse (im thinking turn based or at least pauseable rpg instead of action)for an rts i believe it would be better than mouse, or at least its equal,some games will never lend themselves well to touch, like a fps or action games, but almost anything plotting or methodical could benefit from touch.[/citation]

Sorry - I must have misunderstood what you meant. So I do apologize for the back peddling statement =-)

I think we are agreeing in essence, just letting words get in the way.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
windows 8 isnt that bad, but i can see loads of casual users hating it (read: all non power users that use pc's). osx, however, can only be bought on the app store (stupid) and doesnt have good driver or game support. in order for steam to take off on linux, they would need to make it easier to install stuff (NO TERMINAL!). until then, windows will remain dominant.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
[citation][nom]MrMakapuu[/nom]So whats a good flavor of Linux for gaming? I haven't played too much with Linux lately other than Mandrake a few years back... Does Valve suggest a particular build? Can we get game companies to port over to Linux? Can I play my current MS games on Linux, emulation? Is the emulation 100%? Do I loose speed? I'm ready for Linux!!! But game companies are not?[/citation]
yeah, and it boots way faster then 7 (but takes longer to shut down for some odd reason...)

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I've never used or seen windows 8 and I knew it would be a catastrophe.I've a few screen shoots and heard it was designed with touch interfaces in mind and that is when I knew I wouldn't be getting it.I'll stick to windows 7.[/citation]

This is fail, go try it then come back and post, thanks.

G

gabe is a douche... there was a time, not that long ago, when steam was despised by every SINGLE GAMER... it was really bad and it took Gabe for ever to force people who enjoyed half-life to use it.

really gabe? get a grip!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]TheinsanegamerN[/nom]yeah, and it boots way faster then 7 (but takes longer to shut down for some odd reason...)[/citation]
Get a SSD, you`ll be amazed how win 8 performs on such a storage device, though a keyboard with a gesture pad would be lovely, or a mouse with a gesture pad instead of buttons(i think this thing is already out there)

PS: calling Win8 the new vista is bullshit, back then vista needed more powerfull hardware than what you used to have on XP, Windows 8 runs just fine. PS: try windows 7 on a crappy system , you`ll see that it works as crappy as vista did.

Timberwolf_CLT

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I've never used or seen windows 8 and I knew it would be a catastrophe.I've a few screen shoots and heard it was designed with touch interfaces in mind and that is when I knew I wouldn't be getting it.I'll stick to windows 7.[/citation]

Glad to see that you're making an informed opinion. Funny thing is, other folks who have tried Win8 say that ti runs games faster than Win7. That's the kind of catastrophe that I can live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.