Valve Confirms Games, Steam for Macs in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I'm hoping that
a) this doesn't slow down valve development too much (it's already pretty slow...)
and
b) this means that linux binaries may be coming... They've already done OpenGL...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This is great news for Apple fans but what are they going to play the games on?

The iMac maxes out with the 4850 and the cheapest model with the 4850 costs $1850. If you want anything faster than a 4850 you'll have to purchase a Mac Pro with a 4870 which will run you $2700.

In the end this is going to be moot if Apple doesn't get rolling with some serious GPU updates. There aren't going to be any gamers buying Apple with that lineup. Not a single legitimate gaming machine to be had.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]wolfseeker2828[/nom]This might just be what convinces me to get a Mac for when I go to college next semester.[/citation]

So you can pay a premium for outdated hardware? Good plan.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Brother Shrike[/nom]...this means that linux binaries may be coming... They've already done OpenGL...[/citation]
Oh man I hope so...

scotters

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
They'll say this after a while -

Man this game is running like crap... I guess I oughta buy a pc with some real power.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I agree that the only positive thing I hear is future Linux support. Other than that this is a fail any way you look at it. This Only opens up the rebuttal "macs can play games just like windows can" to the inevitable argument many of us have. Woot spend $2700 dollars on a status symbol that can now play Valve games. No thanks. I can build 5 computers and have a lan party with friends for that much money. The best part is.. they would all be proud of my frugal-ness and impressed with ME because of what I can do. Not the shiney-ness of my white or aluminum computer. Ranting now , sorry.

I do not think this will be a bad thing. The source engine is very hardware friendly. Hell even with a 4350(that is slower then a 8600GT) you CAN play many source games as long as you can play with lowered settings(it does not look that bad).

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Yup Linux support please so it's another step to ditch Microsoft for me :).

Also, now I'm wondering if what I bought makes it available for me on the Mac since I do have a Mac laptop. This'll definitely mean I can game on the go as well :).

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Anyone who games does it on a PC.

Valve will monitor how many Macs are currently online at any given time.

The sound that they hear is crickets.

The new macs are barely fast enough for L4D. Then again, since most games are currently lousy console ports, maybe a mac can game.... if you can find a mac owner who games..... I hear crickets again.

Teirdome

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I'm actually hopeful that this will encourage some more PC game development in general. Having more systems to possible sell titles on means that publishers would be more willing to put a big game out there. Apple will still need to remedy their terrible graphics card selection however.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Brother Shrike[/nom]I'm hoping that a) this doesn't slow down valve development too much (it's already pretty slow...)andb) this means that linux binaries may be coming... They've already done OpenGL...[/citation]

well hopefully the slowness over the last year or so has been because they have done this. from what I can see, they have just made the engine multi platform, hopefully, with a directX branch and an openGL branch, meaning they just develop games like normal on windows, and it just works on Macs as a bonus.

PieceMaker42

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]This is great news for Apple fans but what are they going to play the games on? The iMac maxes out with the 4850 and the cheapest model with the 4850 costs $1850. If you want anything faster than a 4850 you'll have to purchase a Mac Pro with a 4870 which will run you $2700.In the end this is going to be moot if Apple doesn't get rolling with some serious GPU updates. There aren't going to be any gamers buying Apple with that lineup. Not a single legitimate gaming machine to be had.[/citation]

Valve games are well known for being light on the system, their games don't exactly push the envelope in terms of graphics and almost anyone's computer can run a Valve title with decent frame rates.

livingsacrifice

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
It seems funny that mac prides itself on being inventive, cutting edge, and whatever else they seem to think thats along those lines yet only now can they play such mediocre games that a mediocre pc can do and has done for years... odd...

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Most would be Mac gamers are in the same category as most of the PC users, the ones that buy a "superior gaming performance" market PC with a 2GB GeForce GT210 or something similar. GPU-wise, what you get from a mac is never high end, but at least it's not Intel GMA anymore. At least the stuff in Orange box should be light enough to give a satisfactory performance from a Core2 Duo machine with a GF9400.

creature2099

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
So Valve would choose to spend their resources on the Mac over the PlayStation 3. They must truly despise working on the PlayStation 3.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]wolfseeker2828[/nom]This might just be what convinces me to get a Mac for when I go to college next semester.[/citation]

It's funny because a lot of people choose mac because they want to be "different" or feel like they are a part of some sort of elite. But EVERYONE in college has a mac. What I have noticed is that most of the engineering majors use pc's while all of the other majors use macs. So if you are begging to be different in college, get a pc.

If you are trying to scratch a gaming itch in college while still having mobility, get a pc laptop. Don't get a mac. Gaming performance/price will not be satisfactory on a mac.

And that's my final word.

Status
Not open for further replies.