Valve Finally Reveals Steam Machine Prototype Specs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
One more thing: The idea here is easy PC gaming in your living room. Not "replace your desktop with this". It may not be a console replacement yet, but in 5 years, my money's on Valve. Is this for me? Unlikely. But for people who want to try PC gaming without too many "hassles", this could be viable.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I hope the no AMD idea does not deter AMD from trying harder on their driver support. Nvidia wins in linux but id love to get some nice 3D support out of my AMD cards in linux.

Well the first thing I would do would be to get rid of SteamOS and put a real OS on it like Windows 8.1! Valve can keep SteamOS for all I care I have had enough of Linux for a lifetime and more do not care to ever use it again in any form.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
If I were to drop over $1000 on a custom case with a Titan and an i7, I would expect to be able to play the other 90% of my games too - SteamOS may be low on resources but a rig that powerful won't have any slowdown with Windows and if you don't balk at the cost of the hardware then buying Windows won't be an issue either.

SteamOS is going to ultimately marginalise itself, if you use a really low end machine the OS will perform better but the games will run appalling, really high spec you won't see any difference at all, so the mid-range is where the OS battleground is, with tiny performance gains being weighed against only having 10% of your collection. This is doomed to failure.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
After all those talks about open system they go with vendor lock, not cool.
And its just a PC. They can't place lower tag because Nvidia and Intel would eat them alive. But noone will buy a console that don't have exclusives and with such a big price tag. Noone would by a PC for such a high price just for HL3, I won't buy it for 1 exclusive. If Valve would've want its words to play good with actions they should simply start making games for Linux more. If...ah well, too much "ifs", i am not impressed.
My next console will be PS4, i still will upgrade my PC at some point in a few years but not on Valve specific specification but my own needs.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Looks like a cheap PC with a restricted version of Linux...... I don't see this really selling
As for AMD if u built your own then you could use whatever CPU or APU that you wanted. To me it uses too much energy to justify in its current incarnation. I don't see an advantage of using this over my primary computer.

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Can we just get a HDD or SSD with SteamOS on it?
As far as the Steam Machine goes, this is exactly what PC needs to give off that console vibe to console only players. $400 PS3, $500 XB1. $600 SteamMachine? Advertise as more powerful than PS4/XB1, plus free online, amazing deals on games or even when it launches, launch a simultaneous giant sale like Steam likes to do on occasion.

Ezio Auditore

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
"Looking on the flip side, all this powerful hardware probably indicates that games *future* steam games on linux are still inefficient and require massive amounts of horsepower to run them fluidly."

according to your logic ps4 are more powerfull than ps3 because they are less efficient ? oO
More Power means Better graphics(better shaders, AO, higher poly count, AA), bigger resolutions (full hd, 2k or maybe 4k) and better framerates)==> true next gen graphics

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
umm hello.. I'm kinda in the bushes now. Can anyone enlighten me on these matters:

If it is said that we can swap any of the hardware, does that mean we can change it with any PC components available on the market or, even if it has the same Nvidia GPU e.g. GTX760, the Steam Box components will be manufactured differently? If it does then that means we still have to buy from the available options. Not exactly describe "freedom" to chose the specs to me if that was the case.

And if it runs on Linux and all this open source gibberish, wouldn't it be hacked in the future and then we can just install it on our current PC we have, no? What's the point of having the box now if that is the case?

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

This is exactly what I was getting at when I said "Heck, at this point, the WIndows PC actually plays more of the Steam library than a Steambox or PC running SteamOS does." Should have said it more explicitly. Yeah, the SteamOS and SteamBox will run less of Steam's library than a Windows PC, and I'm not sure that will ever really change.

Hrm... Are you suggesting that SteamOS is not designed for the hardware it will be released on?

Also, there were "flagship" phones using Android as an OS. They did well. Android went on to take over about 80% of the phone world. Again, it is a Linux based OS which went up against the iPhone, Symbian, and Blackberry and has given them all a good tumble. At the time those initial phones were released, people were saying "Wait, you're buying an Android phone? Really? Someone should shoot you in the chest!" and stupid comments like that... Well, most of them are using Android phones. Someone who thinks that this has no chance solely because it is Linux doesn't pay attention to recent hardware history. What's more, all consoles have custom OS's... If Valve gets the mix right, with their backlog of games, this may work out quite well for them. Treating it like it's dead on arrival and that it's an utterly stupid move to jump in at the beginning is just a gambling position, because there is a real chance this will pick up.

beta212

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

Please rephrase that, I have trouble understanding flawed english, but please notice the difference between a standardized system(a true console), and pre-built computers. IF this was standardized, and there was a lower api than opengl available, then it probably indicates that future games will be better/efficient, but so far, with only opengl available on linux, it probably indicates that more power is required to drive the same graphics.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009

Very good point there, Windows uses more resources than Linux, but DX uses less resources than OpenGL, so they kind of even out - so the extra money you pay for Windows give you what exactly? The other 90% of your Steam collection for a start...

Nilo BP

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Android's success was the result of very specific circumstances, not the least of which was a market poised to boom (especially on the low end) and that didn't have a universal accepted standard. If someone tried to dethrone Android in the current maturing smartphone world, they would have a very hard time of it.

Just like Valve will face an uphill battle in Windows's own turf. Considering Microsoft lately, though, I suppose Gabe has a shot... still, I wouldn't be caught dead today with a Titan and no Windows.

Blitzkrieg469

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
can't wait to get one. Hopefully I wont have to win the lottery to get one. It will be awesome to have something in the living room to play the same games I play on the pc....and some in 3D...lol

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Like anyone else in this beta. I really, really want one of these, especially the top prototype model. I'm still using a 4850 in both of my gaming desktops. I would be able to use the i7-4770 and GTX Titan for more than a decade (as long as games don't become DX12/13 only)

An expensive "Steambox" will still be running Windows or else 99% of the games won't run.

The version with ONLY the SteamOS would be cheap and meant for Linux games that aren't demanding on the CPU/GPU or streaming from a different PC.

It would be foolish to buy a $1000 Steambox and ONLY have SteamOS on it.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I'm currently fantasizing about Valve selling the Steamboxes at a loss just so people buy them and buy more games through Steam thus making a bigger profit. Imagine if you could buy one of these cheaper than what it would cost you if you build it yourself. That's a game changer right there!

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

What do you mean "over a 400 dollar PS4 with more to offer"? Also if you have a PC you already OWN a steambox, just install steamos :)
Consoles will launch with 15-20 titles each and take a year to add another few dozen tops since devs seem to be taking a wait and see if you look at GDC 2013 stats. Only 11% or less planning anything next gen. But on the other hand Valve has 200+ games already running on linux (steamos) and have already committed to converting the majority of their library to steamos if not the whole thing eventually. Of course it goes without saying they'll be courting everyone to get them off DirectX and windows which is the ultimate goal here (Gabe hates Win8 and Microsoft).

This is a PC. So it can do anything a PC can, netflix, etc etc. What can a console do that is better than a PC? You can even make a partition on the HD and install windows if you'd like as they are off the shelf parts. Heck a tri-boot with linux, windows, steamOS. I don't see your logic here as a dual boot with windows enables all windows games/apps too. Heck android (or chrome) runs on x86 now too, so you could quad boot and run all that crap too at some point (the whole googleplay store etc).

I think you have it reversed. Price of course counts though like I said a lot of us already have a steambox...LOL. Wisely they chose pc parts so they could instantly have millions of potential steamboxes from day one - download, install and boom a linux game purchaser is borne, but this thing (or any box you build, or others companies do from the specs and sell them) can do FAR more than a console lacking in power. A 660TI based machine running a lighter OS than windows would be very enticing for devs as ANY PC can run a FREE copy of SteamOS. I'm sure Valve will be pushing this with instructions on how to install etc and once critical mass happens they will push devs to make STEAMOS games FIRST, windows 2nd. I think we may see linux go from ZERO to HERO in a few years. MS must be crapping their pants...ROFL. It doesn't hurt that valve has the LARGEST distribution site on the web. Devs WANT their game on steam. Steam's site gets them seen (like the greenlight program gets small devs right up front).

All we need now is for Google to package an OFFICE suite for home users. Say a comparable office product for $20-50, which shouldn't be too hard as they already basically have it for enterprise at 1/6 the cost (200K for a business vs. 1.2mil for MS Office as an example). I'm not sure why Google hasn't put together a home package for sale yet. At that point I don't need windows for games, or Office, or browsing etc. For 90% of home users they can leave windows then. Android/Chrome/SteamOS/Linux combo is about to put windows/MS out to pasture. You can't compete with FREE. This is worse than MS facing netscape (where MS could bleed them to death). They are facing a Multi-Billion dollar gaming force that owns the #1 digital distribution channel, and the largest web search provider (who's turning into a game/app/music/movie/tv/isp company-google). Both multi-billion dollar companies who don't have to live off of actual products (just adds and game sales). Goodbye consoles. Goodbye Windows. It may take a while, but the writing is on the wall, just like it was for rimm 5yrs ago. Rimm could have went into gaming/home user stuff and fixed their problem at least to some degree (they thought they were above that, silly rimm), but I don't know what defense MS could come up with here (please stay on DirectX and Windows where we can control you mr game dev...ROFL...NOPE). It's the same but worse situation for them.

Valve and Google (android) have gotten too big to stop as platforms and have no need to make money from them since they make it from games and ads. Valve can now push a game OS and eventually add apps to it that make MS useless (or does all linux crap already run on it since it's just ubuntu?), if google doesn't do that already at some point with chrome/android (they have their own gaming portal for devs now and are amping up gaming tools on android). I can imagine a dual boot of Steam/Chrome that is totally free but has the best gaming and great apps combo. We may end up saying, "remember 3DFX, Palm, Rimm, and ....Microsoft?"...ROFL. Microsoft will linger or be around forever but changed at the very least. Maybe they end up just a pro app/server platform, as I think games are moving away and devs too if only for portability's sake. OpenGL, WebGL, HTML5 and Java games run everywhere easily. If you make a DirectX game (or any console game) you've created some serious work to do to get it onto something else. On top of that it's already a shrinking audience (pc sales off what like 10% or so already since mobile hit?).

I will say the same about Apple soon if they don't make a $1-5Bil announcement backing games for some TV xmas box (or whenever their console box hits). Whoever takes over games will win. DirectX is closed, so I can't see how the winner won't end up being Android or SteamOS or both. How long before Valve ports SteamOS to ARM? Ready in time for A57's? Surely they want it to run on Nvidia's Denver A57 etc which will basically be Jaguar level (xbox1/ps4) level cpus (or better, you can slap a heatsink/fan on them in a xbox1 size box and up them to 3.5-4ghz no doubt at 20nm). Currently, without a big game announcement soon, I think Apple is heading back to 5yr ago apple (niche shrunk market). Apple could also copy Google's ISP rollout plans with gbit and change things up that way too (but it's that or gaming they need, preferably both). Not that I'm rooting for apple, just showing different scenarios for stock people to watch for ;) Unfortunately you can't buy Valve stock...LOL.

The only question I have really is how long will it take to port a large portion of their catalog to steamos. If they pay all their current profits from steam sales to companies to get them all to port their games to steamOS this can happen very fast (2-3yrs and all done?). Valve isn't a PUBLIC company so can ride just breaking even for the next few years to get pay everyone to port a HUGE portion of their library over to steamos. No shareholders to piss off or control them. If Gabe is smart this is what he will do. He could also just fund 250 $4mil AAA game titles a year for a few years that are exclusive. It's estimated that steam was making 1Bil in 2011 in profits. So I'm sure they could blow $1B a year and make 250 games a year until windows/consoles are a much smaller enemy and huge numbers of awesome games are on steamOS. I'd prefer this way as I've already played most of the steam games they'd port to steamos. I'd rather have them make 250 games a year that are $4mil each or something. I'm sure those would bring in more than the $1B I'm saying they need to spend on this 250 games per year. I mean one Grand Theft Auto 5 type game brings in 800million in revenue in 24hrs! That could be HalfLife3! Realize Torchlight 1 and 2 were each done for $2mil or so. Shroud of the Avatar, Wasteland 2, the new Torment game (planescape torment 2) etc all being done for under 4mil.

Most of the people commenting this will fail base it on "well the benefit of windows it is runs the OTHER 90% of my steam collection". Either remove that problem or create the next 90% on STEAMOS ONLY. Also going forward ALL big titles have to be on it to woo people at least at first, thus giving you time to port the older stuff. Personally if I was them I'd make halflife 3 SteamOS only until forced to make it windows (if ever). People won't like it but the OS is free and you have to get it installed, this is how you do it for a good number of users instantly. In the long term though, someone wins here and it isn't MS IMHO. It's also not consoles. :) Thank god. Worst case scenario if I'm wrong about windows getting dethroned, is we FINALLY GET THE OS WE WANT from Microsoft...LOL. I don't see this happening though, as just like Apple they think they know what we NEED rather than giving us what we WANT. At least SteamOS brings gaming BACK TO PC's, which is DEFINITELY what I WANT...LOL.

No. It can be upgraded and I am sure that AMD Linuzx drivers will work with it since it is a Linux core.

You can even build your own and just download and install SteamOS on it if you want.

I am not so sure NVidia paid VALVe. They are pretty set on doing things the way they want to and focus more on the consumer. If I was to bet as to why, it would be drivers.

In my experience with drivers for Linux it tends to go like this: Intel>nVidia>AMD. Its nothing personal to AMD but their Linux drivers are not that great and games suck on the included Linux distro drivers. Intel has the most stable drivers for it, even though in Windows they still don't get good performance for games. NVidia is ok but I have had them bug out and kill the GUI a few times. AMD had way more problems, from killing the GUI to killing the entire OS.

I am sure if the SteamBox or SteamOS take off AMD will get better drivers but I can understand VALVes want to have something that's more stable currently rather than send the stuff out and have to deal with majore bugs and issues while beta testing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.