Valve on 13 Things At Which They Have Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Stupid greedy Microsoft keeping it's users from experiencing freedom with their consoles.. they wont even let the damn thing have something as simple as a web browser, because sometimes turning on a console to check a web page is faster than turning on your entire computer.

Their update policy is also dumb, only allowing games to update over XB live, and any dev's that don't like XB live just don't release updates.

Umm.. I think his is going to get thumbs downed so much

EDIT: Maybe not.. HAHAHA! :pt1cable:

pangedit

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
1 valve time
2 valve time
3 valve time
4 valve time
5 valve time
6 valve time
7 valve time
8 valve time
9 valve time
10 valve time
11 valve time
12 valve time
13 valve time
:D

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]What rules?[/citation]

I'm guessing xbox does not let valve update its game directly at anytime they please.

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
It came from putting a colon next to a capital O

: O

but without the space. It gets parsed as an emoticon, even if you weren't intending for it to be.

Edit: Ninja'd

processthis

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]I'm guessing xbox does not let valve update its game directly at anytime they please.[/citation]
Also, for non-DLC updates, meaning actual update updates, you only get 4MB for the entire life of the game. That's 4 MB worth of updating forever and then no more. It seems Borderlands is already having a problem with this and the limit might make the next update their last. I'm sure there's a reason for the limit, but I doubt it's good enough to be exception-free. If it's really needed, there should be an exception.

I hope MS straightens up and works closely with Valve. The Xbox 360 is so much easier to develop for, I'm sure Gabe Newell would love to work with MS on making things better. Valve even made an Xbox 360 pipeline for the Source engine for crying out loud. They can just click "recompile for Xbox 360" (as far as I know) and it'll output code for 360. Everything seems to be in line for Xbox owners to get a much closer experience to the PC version. Heck, as far as I know, the 360 version of HL2 (that comes in the Orange Box), is an updated version that PC doesn't even have.

Microsoft, it is in everyone's best interest for you to be friends with Valve. Break some of your own rules if you have to; this is VALVE we're talking about. These are the partners you want!

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]pangedit[/nom]1 valve time2 valve time3 valve time4 valve time5 valve time6 valve time7 valve time8 valve time9 valve time10 valve time11 valve time 12 valve time13 valve time[/citation]
What? Valve succeeded in implementing every one of those.

Tohos

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I think valve is one of those companies that aren't stuck in the clouds. They admit their mistakes and rectify it asap. Not many companies do that as well as valve does.

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]pakardbell486dx2[/nom]Valve failed at not making a sequel to half lifepposing forces. I would very much liked to have seen that.[/citation]

Didn't Gearbox make Blue Shift and Opposing Force? Besides, those two are not considered cannon by the HL Writer.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
It's cute when console gamers complain about updates. It's like the new guy at work who suddenly is complaining about benefits when he had great benefits for years at another job that he voluntarily quit.

Just because y'all are new to the interwebz on your consoles and they are boxes that are designed to do one thing (play games) and are being asked to do another (imitate pc's) doesn't make you more legit. It just makes your whining all the more comical.

A console that is designed for playing games and nothing else (NES, SNES, PS2 etc) doesn't have those issues. When you start qq'ing because your little money pit can't do the latest and greatest things that's your fault for investing in a static device that is being turned dynamic by software and not hardware made for that change.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Tohos[/nom]I think valve is one of those companies that aren't stuck in the clouds. They admit their mistakes and rectify it asap. Not many companies do that as well as valve does.[/citation]

Some of them anyway. They are definitely more down to earth than most, but there are still many issues they haven't ever really talked about.

Left 4 Dead, for example. They've praised themselves on shipping Left 4 Dead 2 so fast, but never talked much about the complaints on support, and the fact that there's still a ton of bugs and glitches in it that aren't getting fixed.

Bravo for what they HAVE done, which is definitely far better than most other companies. But perfect they're not.

G

Valve SUCKS. COD MW2 for the PC is the MOST HACKED GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED!!!!! 1 out of every 3 games has an aimbot, wallhack, and care package hack. The only time games are clean is when cracktivision is trying to sell a map pack. they do a ban right before the release and then forget it exists. I never saw as many hackers with Punk buster!!

G

That is why I think everyone will throw codmw2 in the trash when black-ops comes out with dedicated servers. At least we can police it ourselves since valve cant and doesn't want to stop it. They don't want to stop hacking because people get mad at hackers and then go get hacks themselves. then valve bans both the hacker and upset player and they get to sell 2 new games instead of one. Money making scam!!

Status
Not open for further replies.