Valve Shoots Down Rumor of Steam Game Trades

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]So you're saying that Car manufacturers should get a cut of the money when you sell your used car?[/citation]
Where at any point over the last 2 pages have I ever mentioned anyone getting a cut of any money. I have been quite clear on this that the only person who gets money is Steam and I am in total agreement that the games should not be resold and that 3rd party games resellers are a cancer on the games industry.
If everyone was forced to buy their own copy instead of a game running through 12 differant owners then the price would be lower than the 2nd hand version for everyone for brand new.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]Where at any point over the last 2 pages have I ever mentioned anyone getting a cut of any money. I have been quite clear on this that the only person who gets money is Steam and I am in total agreement that the games should not be resold and that 3rd party games resellers are a cancer on the games industry....If everyone was forced to buy their own copy instead of a game running through 12 differant owners then the price would be lower than the 2nd hand version for everyone for brand new.[/citation]

Are you "back_by_demand"?

I quoted said person and was specifically responding to: "The second hand games market is a leech on the industry and the developers don't see a penny of the money that circulates through it. "

Which in my opinion is pretty much saying they are entitled to the money somehow. I mean, Ford doesn't see any money from sales of used cars either so why should the game market be different? No other companies that I know of receive any money from 3rd party sales, so why should the gaming industry be different?

nrgx

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
for all of you steam fan boys, take a glance at the steam terms of service and you will find language that basically states that valve can put whatever they want in the terms of service. Then they go on to say that if you don't agree with the terms of service your only remedy is to stop using steam. Do you understand what this means? This means that they can put whatever they want in the terms of service and if you don't like it you can no longer play your games which are attached to steam. Perhaps valve will put "you agree to pay us $10/month" in their terms of service. Perhaps they will put "you agree to let us sell your data including gaming habits" in their terms of service. Whatever they decide to put in there, if you disagree then say goodbye to playing all of your games.

Don't believe me? Send an e-mail to their customer service and ask them.

nrgx

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
for all of you Steam fan boys out there, consider this. In Steam's terms of service there is language which states that valve can put whatever they want in their terms of service and if you don't agree to their terms of service your only remedy is to stop using steam. Now ask yourself what happens to all of the games you have attached to steam. The answer is that you will no longer be able to play your games which you have paid good money to utilize and Steam will not refund what you paid for the games. Who knows that valve may add to the terms of service. Perhaps valve will add something like "you agree to pay us $10/month", or "you agree to let us collect and sell your personal information", who knows? There is no limitation to what they can add only that you can't object to it if you want to play your games.

Here is the language:

12. AMENDMENTS TO THIS AGREEMENT Valve may amend this Agreement at any time in its sole discretion. As a Subscriber, you agree that Valve may amend the terms of this Agreement. If Valve amends the Agreement, such amendment shall be effective thirty (30) days after your receiving notice of the amended Agreement, either via e-mail or as a notification within the Steam Software. You can view the Agreement at any time at http://www.steampowered.com/. Your failure to cancel your Account thirty (30) days after receiving notification of an amended Agreement will mean that you accept all such amendments. If you don't agree to the amendments or to any of the terms in this Agreement, your only remedy is to cancel your Account or a particular Subscription.

When I stated to Valve that this is immoral and possibly illegal Valve's response is "Hello, I do understand what you are saying but a revision of the Steam Subscriber Agreement by Steam is neither illegal nor immoral."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS