Varying processor speeds???

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
I have a Compaq Presario R3000 with a AMD 64 3000+ (1.8 ghz) in it.

The processor seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to choosing which speed it really is. I run sandra tests and under system summary, it shows the speed at 1.6 and even 1.4 sometimes! Occasionaly it will be the 1.8 its suposed to be. In the summary it says "Processor throttling enabled" What is this and is it possible to turn it of somehow??

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be sitting next to you saying "man we really screwed up"

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
It's nothing to worry about; it is simply your processor changing speed to suit the situation. In mobile processors, to save on power consumption, and heat production, the processor throttles its speed according to how much is demanded of it. When you are using 100% CPU usage, the processor will usually be at its full speed, whereas when you are surfing the web, the CPU will throttle down to a lower speed for the above reasons. It isn't anything to worry about, however, if you wish to control the processor speed, i suggest you download speedswitchXP from <A HREF="http://www.diefer.de" target="_new">www.diefer.de</A>.

Also, in windows, if your power management is set to "Always On" - your processor will run at max speed always. If it is set to "max battery", it will only run at its lowest speed. If it is set to "portable/laptop" it will vary. However, being windows, this rarely works like it is supposed to. Download the App, and you should be happy,

Regards,

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the help. That app. is just what i was looking for!

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be sitting next to you saying "man we really screwed up"

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
I noticed that my processor speed only goes up to 1.6 ghz under the "detect maximum cpu speed" button. My processor is the AMD 64 3000+ which is rated at 1.8 ghz.. whats the deal???