Question Vega 56 Black-Screen issue, crashes and fans ramp up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2020
Running Windows 10.
i7 9700k
DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte Z390 motherboard
Original PSU is Corsair Hx650 (idk if gold or platinum)
New PSU is Corsair Hx850 platinum

My one Vega 56 is a powercolor, the other is a sapphire

I've previously created This thread over at amd forums but the solutions offered there did not solve my problem. I have now tried two different Vega 56 graphics cards and it happens to both of them. The screens go black - or whatever color was most prominent on the screen at the time - anywhere from 4 hours to 3 days after booting the computer up. I've never had it last longer than 3 days in the past 4 months.

The original thread that describes my problem pretty much to the T is RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking and I've been unable to implement the solutions of downclocking the HBM2 using the new wattman.

I've tried the following:
Swapping a new vega 56

Flashing the bios to vega 64

Flashing to a different Vega 56 bios

Using old drivers

Using the newest adrenaline drivers

Using the Professional series drivers found here

Changing the core voltages using the GUI (wattman?) to the following values:

+ Change the State1 core voltage from 991 to 1000.

+ Change the State7 core voltage from 1200 to 1162 (or 1175).

+ Change the State7 frequency from 1630 to 1600 (or 1590 or 1580).

I've found no solutions for this problem. The computer crashes and leaves a blank screen no matter what activity I'm doing, whether its playing games or idling overnight when I fall asleep watching netflix. It isn't overheating, I've logged the temperature and it is never over 55° and even that is quite high for what I'm normally doing.

If you have any reasonable suggestion, please shoot it my way and I'll give it a try. ty for reading.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020
What is the make/model of your original and new PSU? Also, what is the actual make/model of your GPU?

Original PSU is Corsair Hx650 (idk if gold or platinum)
New PSU is Corsair Hx850 platinum

My one Vega 56 is a powercolor, the other is a sapphire. Both are stock Vega 56's

Oct 21, 2020
Are you running stock BIOS versions on each GPU? Is the BIOS for your motherboard fully up to date, as well?

I am currently running stock Vega 56 bios, but I’ve described in my post that I’ve tested flashing the bios to Vega 64 bios and also another brand of 56 bios

Oct 21, 2020
Thanks for your concern but fortunately the Vega GPUs have a bios switch so if one gets bricked, the backup bios can be used. At this point these cards are essentially useless anyway so I figured why not.

I play a game where if I die, it ends permanently, so I’ve been unable to really play it on my main computer for a long time. Now I just play it on a laptop that I know won’t crash pointlessly

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like damaged GPUs at this point. Expecting others to go to your AMD threads to research your problem is not realistic. You should include all pertinent info here and follow up with answers to the questions posed. Otherwise, we can only guess at your situation and offer little help.

In the future, don't install BIOS versions for hardware other than that designed for that particular device. Just not a good idea.

Oct 21, 2020
Sounds like damaged GPUs at this point. Expecting others to go to your AMD threads to research your problem is not realistic. You should include all pertinent info here and follow up with answers to the questions posed. Otherwise, we can only guess at your situation and offer little help.

In the future, don't install BIOS versions for hardware other than that designed for that particular device. Just not a good idea.

I’ve done everything you said, but thanks. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about so I’ll just leave it at that

Status
Not open for further replies.