[SOLVED] Vega 64 issue

levi19982

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
I recently bought a Vega 64 gpu, I have been having a problem for about 2-3 months, its fan throttles up and the screen goes black I have to force restart always, it's almost a totally new gpu so I don't think it's a gpu error. I tried 3DMark, 4k stress test, for about 10 mins it's tottaly okay, nothing happens but after then the issue is there, sometimes the issue happens att 200 watt, at 220 watt etc, the issues happens in games too, e.g. apex legends or blair witch, but e.g. borderlands 3, the new grid, star wars jedi fallen order, nothing these games run perfectly, I bought 2 days ago a new psu (1300 watt, gold) the issue is still there, so it was not the psu, but I had a 1920x1080 144 hz monitor, there was no error, when I bought a 2560x1440 monitor the issues appeared, now I set power saving mode in AMD Wattman, it solves my issue but my gpu can take up only 166 watt at most.
I5-4590
Asus B85M-G
Radeon Vega 64 (air cooled)
16 GB RAM (I even tried to switch ram slots)

Lutfij

Titan
How is it almost totally new?

You should state the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of your PSU. The 80+ rating nor it's wattage has no relation to the quality of the PSU. It's for this reason we as people to state the make and model of the unit while listing specs. Judging from your post you have an old PSU and a new PSU, list them both.

levi19982

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
How is it almost totally new?

You should state the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of your PSU. The 80+ rating nor it's wattage has no relation to the quality of the PSU. It's for this reason we as people to state the make and model of the unit while listing specs. Judging from your post you have an old PSU and a new PSU, list them both.
GPU is like 6 months old.
CPU: I5-4590
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB and 1x8GB Kingston Fury blue)
SSD: KINGSTON SA400S3 (223 GB)
HD: WDC WD2000FYYZ-0 (1863 GB)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Chassis: Zalman Z9U3
I bought the psu 2 days ago

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, I unplugged the other monitor which is a Philips (officially it's a tv) 1080x720 but now it's okay, the issue is gone, and I don't know why
That's totally a driver problem - power consumption increasing when multiple displays are connected to the gpu.

Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the old driver and then install the latest?

What's this about? Are you using the 2x 8GB kit AND a third stick? Leave the lone stick out.

levi19982

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
I even updated BIOS but nothing happened, but I don't know why gpu works perfectly in powersaving mode. In turbo mode it takes up 120-280watt, sometimes at 150 watt the gpu crashes but in powersaving mode it doesn't crash even at 170 watt

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Which Vega64 model?

In turbo mode it takes up 120-280watt
Temps?

sometimes at 150 watt the gpu crashes
Temps?

powersaving mode it doesn't crash even at 170 watt
Temps?

The temperature threshold on these cards isn't very high - you mentioned 70C once(power mode and consumption unknown), and this is actually the throttle limit on some models.

Also:
Again, what's going on here? That single 8GB isn't needed.

levi19982

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
Temperature is always between 60 and 70, so maybe sometimes it reaches 70 and that's why the issue happens? I will put thermal paste on the gpu then. Okay i take the single 8gb out

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Temperature is always between 60 and 70, so maybe sometimes it reaches 70 and that's why the issue happens?
You still haven't identified your exact gpu model. Which one from the following list is yours?

I have the exact same Vega 64.
Be careful if you want to remove the OEM cooler and reapply the thermal paste. There are several thermal 'pads' on the chokes and mosfets that you will need to replace as well. It's not advisable to reuse thermal pads.

Recently, I replaced the stock cooler on mine with a RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS VEGA with two Noctua NF-P12 120x25mm fans. I'm running the fans directly off the motherboard at a static 60% PWM. All I can say is - "WOW! What a difference!" My card is now a beast, running at 1677Mhz core and 1075Mhz RAM, is whisper quiet, and the core rarely gets above 60ºC. The only downside to this aftermarket cooler is that there aren't enough small heatsinks to completely cover all the mosfets (there is a bit of mosfet left exposed). The chokes don't need to be covered with this aftermarket cooler as they will get plenty of airflow. If you go this route be sure to watch several of the Vega64 aftermarket cooler replacement vids online before you start. Even if I had known about the limited number of small-tall heatsinks beforehand, I would still purchase this cooler as it's the best aftermarket air cooler out there.

Here is a pic of the placement I used on my card - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjLCgZ8P-HzihWyvmC79QDcz5cAr

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

levi19982

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
I recently bought a Sapphire RX Vega 64 with 1 fan, I checked gpu-z, the board power limit is 220w, isn't it too low or is there something abnormal in the other pics?
Sometimes the card's fan throttles up at 100% and the screen goes black, it's not a psu issue, not a gpu (I tested it in another pc), the issue happened first when I got a new monitor (Samsung CJG50 27") I use displayport cable at 144hz, with the previous monitor (GABA GL-3219QB1) there was no issue, I used the same dp cable I use now at 144hz. Can it be a wrong cable maybe? Or motherboard related?
CPU: I5-4590
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G
RAM: 2x8GB DDR3 (Kingston HyperX Fury Blue)
GPU: RX Vega 64
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 (I already tried to switch cables, didn't work)
https://kepkuldes.com/image/hfZ1Mj
https://kepkuldes.com/image/hfZAY7