Vega 8 Video Memory

megabladezx25

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018
Hello all. I have just bought a Ryzen 3 2200G CPU with integrated Vega 8 graphics. When entering Radeon Settings or Display Adapter Properties, it reports that there is 1GB of VRAM available to the system. Whenever I watch video benchmarks on YouTube about the exact same CPU and GPU, they always seem to have 2GB VRAM instead of 1, despite being the same part. Is there something I'm missing? Did those systems have some sort of modification? How would I go about making my own Vega 8 report 2GB of VRAM? Is it possible?

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G
GPU: Radeon RX Vega 8
RAM: 1x8GB Samsung DDR4-2666

Solution
It's not going to make a difference considering its dynamic. If it needs more ram, it just takes it. Get a second stick of Ram for dual channel mode before you start tinkering with bios settings. Also, that cpu likes 3200mhz memory so the GPU can stretch its legs a bit.
It's not going to make a difference considering its dynamic. If it needs more ram, it just takes it. Get a second stick of Ram for dual channel mode before you start tinkering with bios settings. Also, that cpu likes 3200mhz memory so the GPU can stretch its legs a bit.

Solution

I agree with the second memory stick. Although forcing it to stick to 2GB can benefit so the user doesn't possibly run into slow downs while it reallocated it to VRAM.

megabladezx25

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018

I'm using a stock HP motherboard from another AM4 socket system I had. I have not seen any option in the BIOS to change VRAM.

I wouldn't expect there to be one on an HP board.

Probably not an option then. Most OEM BIOS options are basic and don't allow you to modify more advanced settings.

megabladezx25

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018

Thanks for all the help. I eventually got a BIOS update and was able to change the buffer to 2GB. Plus I got some dual channel 3200, so I'm good now.

megabladezx25

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018

Thanks for all the help. I eventually got a BIOS update and was able to change the buffer to 2GB. Plus I got some dual channel 3200, so I'm good now.