Vegas Video scene detection?

I can get Vegas for $179 with academic discount.
I've heard conflicting info about scene detection when capturing my
analog tapes via DV passthrough.

I used cheapo Pinnacle software last summer, and the scene detection
workd very well. There was one clip at a children's Christmas program
where camera flashes caused it to think it was a new scene, but apart
from that it worked well.

I've heard that Vegas Video doesn't do this, and I will have to start
and stop playback and save individual clips.

Is the free trial version of Vegas 5 full-featured enough to try this
out? Or can a Vegas owner confirm whether or not scene detection
works?

Google turned up nothing.

Thanks!

And if Vegas doesn't do "optical" scene detection, is there another
package that does?

I have dozens of tapes to capture, so this becomes an important
feature for me.

There's nothing i like more than finding a love letter from
Mitch@hotmail.com:

>And if Vegas doesn't do "optical" scene detection, is there another
>package that does?

I think scenanalyzer (Spelling?) does it.

I personally don't capture within Vegas, i only use it for editing,
could you not use your old software for capturing if you are happy
with its capturing facilities?

--
Kas em a bout Gravy Gong bermempish - It's REEF!

>I think scenanalyzer (Spelling?) does it.

Thanks, I'll try it.

>could you not use your old software for capturing if you are happy
>with its capturing facilities?

No, the quality was terrible. Playing the Hi8 tapes back through my
father-in-law's Sony Digital8 is much better.

>I think scenanalyzer (Spelling?) does it.

Nice. I downloaded the trial version and gave it a real quick run.
Does what I need it to do. I only played with it for a few minutes,
and it had a few false triggers, but it has different thresholds that
I didn't mess with yet.

It's $40, which is reasonable, but being a cheapskate I may still look
around for some freeware. :)

I have found that vegas does quite well with scene detection in capture, but
I use a VX2000 and a DSR 300A which are cameras that use timecode. Vegas
detects the scenes by seeing the timecaode breaks.

Scenealizer also works great and there's a free verson on their website.

>Scenealizer also works great and there's a free verson on their website.

So I'm wondering, say that Scenalyzer accidentally breaks one actual
scene into 4 scenes. And say that I want these joined into one scene
that I can call KidsRunningAround or whatever. Is there an easy way
to join them?

Or am I better off just forgetting about automated scene detection and
doing it all manually?

Thanks!

> And if Vegas doesn't do "optical" scene detection, is there another
> package that does?
>
> I have dozens of tapes to capture, so this becomes an important
> feature for me.

You can just capture the whole tape in Vegas and copy and paste sections on
the timeline to your heart's desire. It works really well.

> > And if Vegas doesn't do "optical" scene detection, is there another
> > package that does?
> >
> > I have dozens of tapes to capture, so this becomes an important
> > feature for me.
>
> You can just capture the whole tape in Vegas and copy and paste sections
on
> the timeline to your heart's desire. It works really well.

Actually I use Virtual VCR for capturing which is a simple, maximum quality
capture solution that's free.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:40:17 GMT, Mitch@hotmail.com wrote:

>>Scenealizer also works great and there's a free verson on their website.
>
>So I'm wondering, say that Scenalyzer accidentally breaks one actual
>scene into 4 scenes. And say that I want these joined into one scene
>that I can call KidsRunningAround or whatever. Is there an easy way
>to join them?
>
>Or am I better off just forgetting about automated scene detection and
>doing it all manually?
>
>Thanks!

There is a program called "Easy Video Joiner" that will do what you
want quite well.
You can check it out here http://www.doeasier.org/joiner/
Regards,
Glenn M
A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

Haven't looked into or tried any scene detection in VV AFIK if it exists.

However, during DV capture to the HD, if you don't turn off the
checkbox, it will capture each seperate 'take' (where you actually have
pressed the stop, then record button on the camcorder resulting in a
break in the video on the tape) to seperate files. Otherwise, you can
have it capture the whole thing to one file continuously.

See
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=914&SPID=270

for the full downloadable, free manual.

> Otherwise, you can
>have it capture the whole thing to one file continuously.

Thanks...I'm actually transferring analog Hi8 with a DV camcorder, so
I need optical scene detection. As far as I can tell VV doesn't do
it.

I'm using the trial version of Vegas, so no printed manual yet.
But I can't find a way to split or crop captured clips. I know how to
trim things once they're on the timeline, but I can't find a way to
actually crop garbage from the beginnings and ends of clips so that I
can use the first frame of the clip as a visual reference to what it
contains.

And Scenalyzer, even on the least sensitive setting, has way too many
false triggers to be useful. If it had a Join funtion within the
program itself (where you could select several clips and instantly
join them into one), that would be useful. But I can't see having to
go outside the app to a separate joiner program to join clips that
shouldn't have been split in the first place. Better off just
capturing one big clip and splitting it up later.

Mitch@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Otherwise, you can
>> have it capture the whole thing to one file continuously.
>

> Thanks...I'm actually transferring analog Hi8 with a DV camcorder, so
> I need optical scene detection. As far as I can tell VV doesn't do
> it.

You're right, it doesn't. The vidcap program is designed to split scenes
using DV time code start/stops. When you disable it by turning scene
detection off, you have to manually hit the record start/stop button. We do
this all the time with students when we're capturing VHS/8mm./HI8 footage.

> I'm using the trial version of Vegas, so no printed manual yet.

You can download the full manual at
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/download/step1.asp?CatID=12

> But I can't find a way to split or crop captured clips. I know how to
> trim things once they're on the timeline, but I can't find a way to
> actually crop garbage from the beginnings and ends of clips so that I
> can use the first frame of the clip as a visual reference to what it
> contains.

Look in the manual p. 96 "Using the Trimmer".

> And Scenalyzer, even on the least sensitive setting, has way too many
> false triggers to be useful. If it had a Join function within the
> program itself (where you could select several clips and instantly
> join them into one), that would be useful. But I can't see having to
> go outside the app to a separate joiner program to join clips that
> shouldn't have been split in the first place. Better off just
> capturing one big clip and splitting it up later.

Some Vegas users actually prefer using Scenalyzer. YMMV.

Mike

There's nothing i like more than finding a love letter from
Mitch@hotmail.com:

>And Scenalyzer, even on the least sensitive setting, has way too many
>false triggers to be useful. If it had a Join funtion within the
>program itself (where you could select several clips and instantly
>join them into one), that would be useful. But I can't see having to
>go outside the app to a separate joiner program to join clips that
>shouldn't have been split in the first place. Better off just
>capturing one big clip and splitting it up later.

Whatabout manually splitting the video by hitting the split button?

Or even creating a batch capture list? Oh, that probably wouldn't work
with Analogue pass through would it?

--
Kas em a bout Gravy Gong bermempish - It's REEF!
Free "It was a joke." quote with every new bermempish.

>Whatabout manually splitting the video by hitting the split button?

There is no split button! I kept reading about the split button, so I
emailed Scenalyzer support, and they confirmed that there is no split
function anymore, but they plan to add it in the future.

Andrew

> out? Or can a Vegas owner confirm whether or not scene detection
> works?

Vegas 4 has no problem doing this - it does a good job of scene
detection, so I can't see why version 5 wouldn't.

But please be aware that Vegas does scene detection
based on the time code of DV-video only.
Vegas does not have the ability to do optical scene detection
(for analog video material for example).
Martin