Velocity Micro z30: core i7 860 8MB

burnt1ce85

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
Im planning to buy a z30 computer from velocity micro: http://velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=186.

I have an option to pick a core i7 860 8mb and a core i7 860 hyperclocked. I thought all core i7 860 have 8mb of cache. If i picked a core i7 860 hyperclocked, how many megs of cache i would get with it? Also which one should i pick?

I plan to use the computer for gaming, programming, watching HD videos, and a bit of graphic and video editing while hooking up 3 monitors to it.

Solution
The core i7 860 hyperclocked is just a normal processor that's been overclocked. It has the same amount of cache. You can even do the overclock yourself.

But I do agree that this system is overpriced for what you get component-wise; built quality will be top notch and the chassis looks very nice, but you can get the same components for much less, or a better machine for the $1200.

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
The core i7 860 hyperclocked is just a normal processor that's been overclocked. It has the same amount of cache. You can even do the overclock yourself.

But I do agree that this system is overpriced for what you get component-wise; built quality will be top notch and the chassis looks very nice, but you can get the same components for much less, or a better machine for the $1200.

Solution
G

Velocity Micro has had issues with the overclocked 860's. I know because I have one and it crashes almost daily and has since I first got the system. The techs have tried to help but have reached a point where they are blaming it on a peripheral. I know that's not the case because it will also happens with a bare system. My issue with them is they won't do anything unless I pay to ship it back to them and go without a PC in the interim.
They brag sooooo much about customer service and quality of their products but refuse to stand behind them. I have written letters to the company and tried to contact consumer relations but noone will answer my calls except the support staff. And without exaggeration I have spend at least 8 hours on hold waiting to talk to someone there. I've sat on hold for an hour and a half at a time to talk to a tech for 15 minutes.
Take my advise and build!!!!

dickivy_12

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Buy a Dell or some other pc. My velocity was a total disaster. It had it's motherboard replaced as well as a new power supply. I've had this pc for @ 16 months and it's been nothing but problems. I'm going to buy a Dell and put my velocity HDD into it to recover my programs and files. I wouldn't have another velocity if you gave it to me.

subcriminal

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
While it was a long time ago I had a very good experience with my velocity micro system. I'm still using it (right now) 6 years after the purchase and haven't had any problems with hardware. Granted, I could have build the same system for a less money if I wanted to build it, but at the time I was working 80 hour weeks and paid more for the pre-built system so I didn't have to do any of the work. I was far too busy at the time and the cost for the convenienc was worth it in my situation at the time. They also tend to use good components, ones I'd pick out for myself if I were to build it on my own.

Whether you decide to buy the system or build if yourself, best wishes!