Question Verbatim SSD?

darebt123

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
Does anyone have any experience with Verbatim SSDs? The 512 GB one seems a lot cheaper than the 500GB Samsung 860 EVO.

Let me know the exact model and I'll tell you what's inside. If it's the Vi550, it utilizes the Phison S11 with 3D TLC - this would be DRAM-less, falling into the Storage/Light categories of my guide along with the other drives that share that hardware configuration: Inland SATA, Patriot Burst, etc.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Verbatim is almost certainly just that brand name on someone elses second rate drive.
Verbatim the company is known for quality DVD/CD. Not solid state drives.

I remember when they were known for not-so-good 5-1/4" floppies... then, apparently, later on, they supposedly started making very good floppies.

That's definitely a name I haven't heard in a while.

darebt123

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
Let me know the exact model and I'll tell you what's inside. If it's the Vi550, it utilizes the Phison S11 with 3D TLC - this would be DRAM-less, falling into the Storage/Light categories of my guide along with the other drives that share that hardware configuration: Inland SATA, Patriot Burst, etc.
Verbatim Vi550 S3 512GB
This is the model.
What do you recommend?

Verbatim Vi550 S3 512GB
This is the model.
What do you recommend?

If you're going to be using it as your primary drive - including for OS - then you can definitely do better. Anything in my Budget SATA or Performance SATA categories is optimal for that sort of usage (read the notes) if you're going with a SATA drive. The list is not exhaustive, you can check my spreadsheet for other models that may share the same hardware as drives in those categories, but I don't list everything. Johnny Lucky's database has more (linked at bottom of my spreadsheet) but otherwise you have to figure out what's inside.

darebt123

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
If you're going to be using it as your primary drive - including for OS - then you can definitely do better. Anything in my Budget SATA or Performance SATA categories is optimal for that sort of usage (read the notes) if you're going with a SATA drive. The list is not exhaustive, you can check my spreadsheet for other models that may share the same hardware as drives in those categories, but I don't list everything. Johnny Lucky's database has more (linked at bottom of my spreadsheet) but otherwise you have to figure out what's inside.
Your guide is incredible, though... the sad thing is that the only options I have in my country are a few. So, I think I'll get the Crucial MX500 or the Samsung 860 EVO, since I have no slot for M.2

Darkwaxer

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Your list is incredible, thank you for doing it. Can I ask, where would you put https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral...c8aab82b2&wgexpiry=1597167531&source=Webgains

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
Phison S11 + 3D TLC. Storage/Light.

I wonder if Phison controller is anygood because most SSD makers do never mention it or the memory manufacturer on datasheets

Kingston was using the Marvell controller on the SUV500 and switched to SM for the KC600 with Micron memory
however Crucial is still using this Marvell along with the same Micron memories.
so which ones is better SM o Marvell ??

why aren't the Samsung Pro listed on the performance SATA ? where is the BX300 ?

The S11 isn't great. The Marvell 88SS1074 is fairly good as is the SM2258/SM2259; they both have DRAM. The BX300 hasn't been on the market in a long time, it was actually MLC-based. The Samsung Pro is also MLC-based so is quite niche in usage.

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
The BX300 hasn't been on the market in a long time, it was actually MLC-based. The Samsung Pro is also MLC-based so is quite niche in usage.

I wonder if MLC is still relevant now because TLC based drives can achieve the same performance and more durability.

crucial-bx300-caracteristicas.jpg

is this part of the controller or DRAM is an external chip ?
what is the difference between SDRAM and DDR3L SDRAM ?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Solid-State-Drive/GIGABYTE-UD-PRO-SSD-256GB#kf

https://www.gigabyte.com/Solid-State-Drive/UD-PRO-256GB#kf

The UD Pro uses the Phison S10 (w/DRAM) and 3D TLC. It's possible it's been updated to the S12, though (which is a S10 with LDPC instead of inferior BCH error correction/ECC).

All controllers will have some amount of SRAM (not to be confused with SDRAM) which is faster than DRAM but more expensive so limited in capacity. The difference between different types of DRAM on a SSD tend to be with power usage (e.g. DDR3 vs. LPDDR3, or DDR3 vs. DDR4) as the primary concern is access latency.

TLC, especially with the move to 3D flash (which is inherently different than the older 2D/planar), is quite effective, especially in pseudo-SLC mode ("SLC cache").

Older drives were better at lower capacities as they had smaller densities dies and therefore more interleaving. MLC also tends to have good steady state performance and sustained writes for example. However, for most users, SLC will perform better for daily use and higher capacities mean you're bumping up against the limits of SATA anyway. I still utilize older MLC drives for caching/tiering and niche applications, for a modern gaming build it doesn't make much sense though.