Verizon Says Smartphones Can Replace PCs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

Dropping your phone in the toilet isnt that bad. Its retreiving it :eek:D
I dropped mine in the toilet when i was at a Lounge Concert. Ewww! Lucky for insurance!

ares1214

Splendid
he is literally saying one day little toy tricycles will overtake formula 1 cars just cuz eventually u put a motor on the trike. sure its smaller, but in a race, i think ill be taking my formula 1. if ANYTHING, the only mobile device thats MAY take a SMALL bite out of desktops is tablets, along with laptops and the such. but desktops will NEVER go extinct, as there will always be an enthusiast market for them. Desktops are laughing at this and singing "anything you can do, i can do better...!"

ErrolDC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Obviously this fellow wanted us to catch the "spirit" of what he was saying, not the letter. 1GHZ cpus for mobile devices was a huge milestone. Of course it's not just about CPU speeds. The mobile OS, availability of compatible apps (desktop compatible that is) and connectivity options beyond wifi (Ethernet to usb cable for example), and overall network compatibility. Once we tackle some of these issues, I can see this happening. But it's probably going to occur in phases. Much like the first tablet devices were not that usable..

G

I think by replace they mean in the mainstream. Not saying i agree but like i dont think they mean all desktops are going to die. just ur everyday office desktop that basically only does word processing desktop is going to die which represents a large fraction of computer users. ofc there will still be niche markets for desktops but what they are saying is that most people wont need such nice proc and graphics and will work fine with just a basic modest workstation computer

iocedmyself

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
was just going to post pretty much what suffex said. but i'll elaborate a bit.

The average, and by that i mean the majority of computer users...are about as tech savy as amy winehouse is hygenic/attactive/dignified..and non-skanky. The average computer user....is a...oh forget metaphors they're freaking morons. A depressing number of Corporate PC's that are still running WinXp pro....with pentium 2/3/4 or even celerons topping out well under 1ghz, less than a gig of memory.

Then we have the "enthusist" market...those at the peak of evolution paying $1500 for a 4/6 core intel processor, $500+ for 6/12 gigs of ram, $1000-2000 for the best multi-gpu set up available to power their 3/6/12 monitor setups each costing $200-$1500....to run xp pro. Dx9, 2gig memory address....and support that is so critical it wanted to be phased out 3 years ago.

Corporate, mainstream, mobile and server hardware make up the MAJORITY of the computer market. Not gaming, not media center, not anything used for a hobby. Look at anroid, iphone etc and all the 1000's upon 1000's of apps it has in such a short time from video confrencing to turning your damn kitchen lights off from the other side of the world. Most people in the bussiness world have a smartphone and rely on it already more then a PC....and yes that's right the hardware is just going to get smaller, less power hungry, more powerful and more versitle.....So why have a stationary computer....when your damn phone already does everyhting you need for your job, your communication and your entertainment fix...especially if you can have it wired to a plasma with bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I don't have a smartphone, nor do i really want to get one....but you have to be devoid of vision and utterly unable to see potential if you don't realize that smartphones....ARE THE SHRUNKEN PC'S YOU SEEM TO THINK ARE DOWN THE LINE. Ugh...humanity depresses me, and the posters in here generally seem to double that feeling

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I think the guy is right. While smartphones will not be playing crysis anytime soon, I would not be surprised that android OS will eventually go to desktop platform using multicore processors. I am not talking about quad cores, I'm talking about 80 cores at least which will be much much faster than your typical i7 processor. The wintel market still dominates the market because of compatibility reasons. But if someone can make a better software than the wintel monopoly, android and multicore processors can beat Wintel at their game.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Well, they could replace a 6-7 year old pc in terms of speed at the most and that too in terms of performance and not in terms of usability. (I mean PC is more comfortable due to its bigger keyboard and screen size, something desirable when you want to compute without having cramped fingers and stressed eyes)

crashtest

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
The entire time I was reading this I was only thinking one thing.

So how is Verizon planning to charge new "special" monthly fees based on smartphones replacing PCs?

Then I got to the part where he was talking about double charging on phones with virtualization. Way to be predictable Verizon!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
OK, realistically this may happen but it is years away from being a reality. The winners in the tech world are the ones who can foresee how something will pan out in 10, 20, 30 years, thats why IBM sinks as much into R&D as Intel makes in revenue.

OK, the ask here is to imagine that all your processing is done by fat servers in the Cloud, including all your gaming as well, all your files are stored in the Cloud too and the wirless broadband speeds are up in the 50mb range.

So at home you basically have nothing more than a thin-client dumb terminal connected to a monitor, so what's to stop the monitor and keyboard being connected to your phone instead? Once you farm off all peripherals to a docking station including DVD, monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, speakers then your PC, or laptop, or smartphone is nothing more than a fancy way to connect to the internet where all the hard work is done. So it's not so unrealistic, timeframe is the factor here, not if but when.

I'll give it 15 years.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
It won't happen until Verizon stops locking everything down and charging for every little service.

People want to feel as though they own their PCs, not as though they are merely renting them.

NoShot

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
The vast majority of desktop users are only concerned with three things: browsing the internet, email, and a decent word processor. Most smartphones do a pretty good job with the first two, and provide at least some level of support for the third. That leaves the human interface of the smartphone as the biggest hurdle to overcome. Most people don't want to use a thumb based keyboard for any serious work, and smartphone screens are necessarily small. Solution: dock it to a decent peripheral set. Outcome: a cheap (=

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i can see this actually being true in SOME cases.... read on before throwing out the the 20 thunbs down ( who am i kidding it'll still happen)

i could see this being a possibility in SOME cases due to the demand of MOST users. somebody who needs a computer for email, face book, and the occational youtube video , or to type up school papers and such . if you had a dockign staion with output for a real monitor and full size keyboard and mouse then maybe it could work if the price was right, but i don't even see this happening for another 5-10 years

as for phones replacing high end gaming machines... maybe in a couple decades but nowhere in the near to semidistant future, you'd still eb ,limited by battery life and if even most modern phones can't got through mroe than a few hours of online use think how they'd do running true heavy applications.

moral of the story i think somebody told him the gameplan for the next decade and he took it as oh i should tell everybody now!

Status
Not open for further replies.