Verizon Says Smartphones Can Replace PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Yes, but can your iPhone play Crysis?

Seriously, how stupid can you get. Smartphones will never replace PC's, period. PC's will continue to shrink in size, but there will always be an enthusiast market.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
This may be true one day but a 1ghz ARM processor is the fastest thing you can get in a cell phone these days. I don't see how he thinks this compares to a Quad-Core or Hexa-Core Desktop chip.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
lol, yeah, carry ALL your data with you. Drop your phone in the toilet, loose everything. Leave your phone on the train, loose your identity.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
That's actually a pretty crude quote he made regarding Microsoft. By no means to I swear loyalty to any one company. Facts are facts, and clichés are well, simply that.

Anyone who's followed all areas of the mobile market segment will know that Microsoft is taking a very, very big gamble with Windows Phone 7... The complete integration of social networking and cloud access into the user interface. This goes far beyond anything any other platform is doing, almost to the point that it's frightening. It's definitely unfamiliar ground for someone like me.

Microsoft Office 2010 is also designed around the concept of cloud computing and being able to access your documents anywhere.

As far as smart phones replacing traditional PCs... that's a pretty ludicrous statement. I think that smart phones will replace traditional PCs only in the sense of how much dependence we have regarding our daily lives. I think as smart phones become more and more powerful, and the market segment follows the path that Microsoft is gambling on (seamless integration of social networking), we will find ourselves doing more and more things on our phones that we used to have to do on our PCs. Why load up my computer to post on twitter/facebook/etc. when I can do it all from my phone? Why print out directions to go somewhere when I can get live directions from my phone? But outright replacement to point of PCs become obsolete is laughable...

The quickest counter-argument is that it's a matter of form factor. We like our blockbuster games that, even with equivalently powerful hardware, simply cannot be experienced in the same way on a phone. We want to not only be able to read news and documents, but create them as well. By the time PCs have become obsolete in one way or another, it will be by something else, not the smart phone as we know it today.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
more specifically, they could be hooked up to a docking station with a keyboard, camera and monitor, transforming the smartphone into a full-fledged PC replacement.

Reading this quote over and over makes me laugh a bit. If this is actually what he means by a PC replacement, wouldn't you still consider your smart phone a "PC/Mac" but portable and able to make phone calls? What do I have right now... lets see here... a keyboard, camera and monitor. What a concept! Actually, I'm on a laptop... semantics. My point is, call it what you want, but it's still the same darn thing.

For several years now, the mobile computing market has been filled with ultra portables that require docking stations. No new concept here. The thing is, people didn't want to carry around all of the expensive and bulky parts of their computers that they didn't need at all times when they were on the go. When they needed their power and input devices, they docked.

Maybe I'm blind, but the only replacement I see here is the notion that we need multiple devices to do everything we need. Call it a smart phone, call it a computer that makes phone calls (I have been making phone calls from my computer for a decade), call it a cellular wireless device (laptops have had this capability for years), call it what you want. Just don't call it anything other than marketing, because the idea of having to dock a smart phone to use required peripherals is in a sense, using it as a PC (as we know it).

By the way, that "more" at the beginning should probably have it's first letter capitalized.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I believe that is true IN SOME cases, but not as long as we have all the immature OSs and poor developer support. you want a phone like a PC, you need an OS like a PC

and any n00b who says "phones are like, completely different man!" just because they are small and use touch screens can go get bent. thats just an interface thing, and as much as apple would have you believe otherwise, its only ONE part of an OS.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Some people might get by without a PC by using their phones/ipads/whatever, but I thing what would probably happen is that more people would use the alternative devices to supplement their pc's. When at home or in their office, they would use their pc, but when elsewhere they would have access to functionality that they previously would not have had.

Maybe some people would find that they do not need to travel with their pc, and just use their alternative device.

Orac

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
What the picture doesn't show, hidden behind the podium, is the bong he took a hit from before making that statement.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
hilarious
how smartphones would ever be able to catch up to desktop or laptop tech is beyond me

they'll always be some large steps behind

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]Can replace PC's. But never will.[/citation]
This. Phones are too small in physical size for people to use as PCs for every day use. It would be a massive step backwards since phone hardware is no where close to PC hardware. Verizon has misspoke here and has showed their obvious lack of knowledge of the PC industry and it's users.

daship

Distinguished
I think the majority of users are tired of single core slow PCs, why accept it if its in a phone.

The ipad, nor smartphone will ever do what a pc can do, it might do some novelty tricks like get on the net, but most users use their pcs for more then checking email and browsing.

Lets not forget that using a phone for PC activity's cost a fortune per month especially if you dont have unlimited data which the cell carriers are getting rid of.

This guy is a dipshit for even suggesting such nonsense.

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]cjl[/nom]This is conveniently ignoring the actual speed of the devices. 1GHz smartphones are slower than a 1GHz Atom, much less any decent computer processor.[/citation]

Hahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.