Verizon Simplifies Its Plans, Kills Smartphone Subsidies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
TMobile and Sprint's actions won't make a difference because their network coverage is too poor.

Don't under estimate the under doge. T-mobile as small as it is has had AT&T rethink they way the do business.

And I am sorry but I will never go to Verizon. I am not one to be extorted for my hard earned money, no matter had good they think there network is.

$30 for 1GB of data.... You got to be freaking joking. I pay $20 every month for unlimited and I get a constant 20Mbps stream with no issues.

But what can you do.. you have more people that just part ways with there money like it grows on tress.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
1gig for $30? What year is this?

Your kidding right?

AT&T to this very day still charges $25 a month for a 300MB plan. But for $30 a month you can get the 3GB plan. Yes! An extra $5 will get you 10x more data SMH.

I eventually told them F-Off and take the data plan off my smartphone, I have free WIFI at work, home and optimum WIFI in the city. I can live without internet for the 5 minutes when there is no WIFI.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
And I am sorry but I will never go to Verizon. I am not one to be extorted for my hard earned money, no matter had good they think there network is.

$30 for 1GB of data.... You got to be freaking joking. I pay $20 every month for unlimited and I get a constant 20Mbps stream with no issues.

But what can you do.. you have more people that just part ways with there money like it grows on tress.

In this area at least, verizons network is far better and faster then sprints.
I used sprint for years, and just switched to verizon a few months ago, the network capability is like night and day.

And honestly, between the two when selecting new carriers, there's only "roughly" a 20$ difference between equivalent plans, least when we went for 2 lines. Verizons a bit more, sprint is a bit slower, and poorer signal quality. With sprint don't even try to play hd content, their 4g is more like 3g, and my partner couldn't get MMS txts at her work, even when outside it (despite being well within coverage). Now we can do both.

I'd rather pay a bit more for something thats better, then save a bit and get poor service, because then what is the point of paying?

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

With Sprint, I can totally agree. They are crap. I was with them for a while more like 7 months and than I called it quits.

I switch back to T-mobile and I have not looked back once. I get unlimited everything and 7GB tethering a month for 64 dollars Total. Yes that includes tax and fees.

Is Verizon network far better than T-Mobile, yes I can get behind that argument that you make. But match plan for plan... Verizons network is not that much better to be paying that much more for service.

I for one will never go to Verizon. I have had friends of mine that were on Verizon and came to T-mobile. All of them told me the same thing, Verizon is a bit more reliable but the money they save now is crazy and don't think the service Verizon offers is anything worth what they are asking.

But at the same time, I am not anyone to say that others are wrong to be on a specific network. Everyone has the right to spend there money how they please.

As I have said, $30 for 1GB of data.... Verizon must be out of there minds.

I will finish with this... I am glad that you are enjoying your service with Verizon. :)

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Leaving Verizon and going to T-mobile was the best decision I ever made. Felt amazing giving Verizon the giant middle finger. In my area, I couldn't really tell the difference between the 2 services so I've been happy ever since.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Yup no more subsidies for the smart phones except if you are the CEO of a business or some rich fool living a lavish lifestyle on the backs of others.

The article should of been written as" Fools get to pay more for less" so a few can have more then the rest.

sportsmc3

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2013
Just think, when 5G comes, and the downloads are super good, what will 12 gb of data do then? They need to rethink the way they pigeon hole us daily ;)

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
With Sprint, I can totally agree. They are crap. I was with them for a while more like 7 months and than I called it quits.

I switch back to T-mobile and I have not looked back once. I get unlimited everything and 7GB tethering a month for 64 dollars Total. Yes that includes tax and fees.

Is Verizon network far better than T-Mobile, yes I can get behind that argument that you make. But match plan for plan... Verizons network is not that much better to be paying that much more for service.

I for one will never go to Verizon. I have had friends of mine that were on Verizon and came to T-mobile. All of them told me the same thing, Verizon is a bit more reliable but the money they save now is crazy and don't think the service Verizon offers is anything worth what they are asking.

But at the same time, I am not anyone to say that others are wrong to be on a specific network. Everyone has the right to spend there money how they please.

As I have said, $30 for 1GB of data.... Verizon must be out of there minds.

I will finish with this... I am glad that you are enjoying your service with Verizon. :)

Don't get me wrong, i don't like the prices either, their quite high.
30$ per gig is insane. I get their wireless signals and those waves are quite crowded vs the amount of space we're able to give them, but still, good golly. But the US is notoriously awful for high speed internet all the way around :/ Be it wireless or landline, from prices to bandwidth. I'm not thrilled for everything the FCC does, but I'm hoping their recent pushes will get that problem a bit more fixed.

But at the very least, (in my area anyway) verizon is good service, even if pricey.

We did look at t-mobile though, but their listed 4g coverage wasn't very good in areas we'd travel to, and seemed a bit spotty here even. But beyond that, I can't say to them, I don't want to argue a company I've not used before^^

I liked that sprint had unlimited data for a lower price (esp if you did a best buy plan that was like 140 total... ish) that was really nice, even though i'd hardly use more then a gig, and 1.5 on my partners phone, but the wireless quality was terrible :/

What kind of service do you get through T mobile?
Seems like good pricing plans at least.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
TMobile and Sprint's actions won't make a difference because their network coverage is too poor.

Don't under estimate the under doge. T-mobile as small as it is has had AT&T rethink they way the do business.

20Mbps? 100% BS...

Dont make assumptions to things that you do not know.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I think it's odd that no one has yet hit on the key to why they would do this. Most people will get an iPhone or S6 or G4 or wtvr the current top model is at the time and finance $600 plus dollars. Now they are stuck in their "non contract" until the phone is paid. On contract termination is usually $350 - $10 a month. Easier to get out of. Now with this "non contract" most people are more stuck than with a contract. It's quite brilliant.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Add to the fact that you have to have a Verizon phone still..Very few unlocked phones work on CDMA as they are international phones geared toward GSM. For AT&T bring your own phone makes sense. I can grab a ZenPhone 2 for cheap and go.. Tmo I can grab a OnePlusOne and go. Verizon..uhhhhhh...$500 plus dollar phones are your only option until the MotoX Style/Pure release and ur still over $400 if don't want 16GB. When Verizon excepts $200 phones that are decent..then this won't be shitty.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

I get pretty good service with T-Mobile. I can not complain and the plan that I have is crazy good. Most of the places I travel to are very dense areas with good cell reception. I don't think I have ever picked up my phone and said "crap I have no service."

However, I can get behind your argument why you would want Verizon over anyone else and that to me is an informed consumer. You are choosing the best network for your needs with a consideration of the places you will be.

I get unlimited everything plus 7GB tethering for $64 total. That includes taxes and fees. But keep in mind I have been with T-mobile from the very beginning. I only switched to sprint because of a phone. Will never do that again. I have even driven to Vegas and never once lost reception with T-mobile. Was listening to Spotify the whole way. :)

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Impressive 30$ for one gigabyte, at 4g speeds how many minutes of internet a month is that? 20? 30? and they call it a "sharable" plan even if its only two people "sharing" they're limited to SIXTEEN megabytes of internet a day, that's not even an entire youtube video at 360p.

oblivionlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Everyone here needs to reread the statement again. Its NOT $30 for1GB its actually $50 since you are forced to pay $20 for the line access charge with a smartphone.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
I dumped Verizon and its high cost plans with low data points, expensive locked phones and contracts. Instead bought two unlocked Amazon Fire smartphones at $199 each and moved to a non-contract 10gb per phone monthly plan with Tmobile for $100 per month plus taxes. Very happy.

Verizon had been playing games with data charges saying we were using non-Verizon network towers to access our data while traveling to NoVA which is Verizon home territory and charging us a penalty.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I dumped Verizon and its high cost plans with low data points, expensive locked phones and contracts. Instead bought two unlocked Amazon Fire smartphones at $199 each and moved to a non-contract 10gb per phone monthly plan with Tmobile for $100 per month plus taxes. Very happy.

Verizon had been playing games with data charges saying we were using non-Verizon network towers to access our data while traveling to NoVA which is Verizon home territory and charging us a penalty.
All of Verizon's 4G LTE phones are unlocked...

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I live in one of those area's that has the most coverage, so I feel sorry for people who live in middle of nowhere and have to buy and put up with what they can get, but for people like me this is a no brainer, if you look at their coverage area they do cover area's that T-Mobile don't cover, but where I live work and play they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.