Verizon: We Have Top-Tier Data Pools, Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virgin mobile - 35 dollars a month unlimited text AND data! 300 min a month > Verizon/at@t
Unless you need better coverage than what Virgin offers. If your in a major city that offers 4G LTE and don't travel much or don't have a car breakdown in a less than populated place......

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
It's like in the old days with AOL... charge by the minute and KB.
I am sure that will go the way of the Dodo eventually.

G

Or you can just have unlimited data on AT&T and stick it to the man

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
the thing i dont understand is how they get away with charging PER DEVICE if you are using a set amount of data. Its stupid, no matter how many devices you have trying to connect, youre not going to strain their network any more or less. absolutely ridiculous

2hot4u

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
What!? It's far, far cheaper to get an unlimited everything plan!!

Why is data getting even more expensive!

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
These data pool and family data share plans are a joke. They charge an exorbitant amount for the data, then a large amount per phone.

If you have 5 phones paying for 4GB of data each, that's $200 for total of 20GB. However, under the share for 20GB, you pay $200 for the data PLUS $x for each phone. Who would sign up for such a deal???

Wow... That's a pretty huge ripoff, personally T-Mo's plans have always got me. Currently using a business consumer based value plan from T-Mo, pretty sweet. 5GB Unlimited* Data + 1000 minutes and unlimited texting for only $45 a month. Don't get the discounts on phones but not really a big deal when all unlocked phones work for T-Mobile and I have friends/family that work at the Bellevue based company. :)

vvildcard

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Robbery, through and through. I will cling to my grandfathered $30 for unlimited data until they shut down 3G for good... and then I'll drop them like a ton of bricks to find someone who isn't committed to usury. So that one HD movie over 4G (in the article) will only cost $40x4 + $130 = $250! What a bargain!

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]vvildcard[/nom]Robbery, through and through. I will cling to my grandfathered $30 for unlimited data until they shut down 3G for good... and then I'll drop them like a ton of bricks to find someone who isn't committed to usury. So that one HD movie over 4G (in the article) will only cost $40x4 + $130 = $250! What a bargain![/citation]

I hear ya though I do know someone who manage to upgrade their phone and have the grandfather in unlimited data transfer over to the 4g. It's freaking insane to pay the prices they want for data. I'd rather spend the money for data on overpriced coffee at starbucks and leech off their wifi when I need it on the go, I imagine I still come out ahead despite a coffee being around $5 a drink.

this battle of the data plans is completely out of control.

the phone companies know exactly what will happen: customers will flock to the best deal once contracts are up. charging these rates is like a get rich quick scheme. you can make quite a bit of money but your long term success doesnt look so bright.

i agree with the above poster, once they kick 3g data and my unlimited plan i hold no favor for verizon. i pay enough per month for a cell phone, paying more is just rediculous.

redemptionse

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]vvildcard[/nom]Robbery, through and through. I will cling to my grandfathered $30 for unlimited data until they shut down 3G for good... and then I'll drop them like a ton of bricks to find someone who isn't committed to usury. So that one HD movie over 4G (in the article) will only cost $40x4 + $130 = $250! What a bargain![/citation]
hey im in the same position as you but ill probably end up just buying a 4g phone for full retail price so I can get 4g unlimited data too. i use 20 GB per month on my phone because my home internet is their mobile broadband which I pay $90 a month for 10 GB! its all I get can in my area lmao

kingbrodij

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
The only way I have found a way to keep my grandfathered unlimited plan is of course buying the phone outright. The trick is not paying out your A$$ for the new phone.

In NY, if your employer is under the NYS Contracting or you know someone that is; BUY your phone through them. Granted this will not work for everyone.....current prices under NYS Contract pricing:

4G Smartphone Devices:

$0 4G Pantech Breakout
$0 4G Samsung Stratosphere
$29.99 4G LG Lucid
$49.99 4G LG Spectrum
$49.99 4G Droid 4
$49.99 4G Droid Charge
$99.99 4G Droid RAZR 16GB
$149.99 4G Droid RZAR Maxx

With NYS Contract pricing you can cancel the line without getting dinged; you pick your phone above, and then cancel once you get the phone. Then move your current unlimited plan to this device, boom still unlimited.

I just did this. Yes your limited to the above devices but who cares, my Droid 2 just became a Droid 4 and my plan and cost didn’t change ($30/month unlimited data and then whatever voice you had, my phone bill every month is $80, and that of course is with the 19% corporate discount that all of you can get through your employer or a family/friends employer)……all I had to do was pay $50, not the $650 or whatever ridiculous fee they want and keep the unlimited plan.

Screw Verizon, the day they force me to pay over $80 for what I have now Im out.

I dont mind paying a fair price for a device to keep it this way, but that fair price is where Verizon really trys to F us

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I sell cell phones for a living, and this is the most complicated mess i've experienced with data plans etc. There are so many customers that come in all excited to get a new phone, only to realize things have changed for the worse. I swear, it doesn't take much for most people to switch to Sprint. They're slow, their coverage isn't as good, but it's unlimited, and that's what people want.

redemptionse

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]If you are with Verizon, then you will soon lose it, even if grandfathered in.http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/ [...] 55028254/1[/citation]
The guys in the stores and other articles I've read about this say you can keep your unlimited data plan only if you buy a new phone at a full retail price instead of resigning a contract to get a cheap phone

G

Well, this kind of news just make me a little more happy to live in Europe...

I'm french, and pay 20€/month (around 24,5$, taxes included) for my phone contract, and have unlimited SMS, MMS, calls (including the major part of the world's landlines and even mobiles in some countries) and unlimited data with wich I can do whatever I want: share it to other devices via USB or Wi-Fi, use P2P programs, etc.

If you can read French, just check it and be jealous ! :p

http://mobile.free.fr/

Status
Not open for further replies.