Verizon's Piracy Effort Includes Throttling Repeat Offenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't a big deal unless your a pirate who is illegally downloading content.

I honestly don't get the mindset of pirates, they know(or should know) what their doing is wrong, and that they have no legal right to download said file. I always see pirates say it won't hurt sales because it's not physical goods, but it's not different to entering an amusement park, you have no "RIGHT" to be there or to use said file.

Only thing I disagree on is the punishment for pirates being caught, some people are charged 1 million dollars? They should just pay 3-4x the cost of what they downloaded as punishment.

fkr

Splendid
edogawa must be the only person who never copied their friends tapes, compact discs or old floppy disc games.

I am on the pirates side, I have bought to many games and music multiple times because the original copies were ruined by kids, car accidents or once when a massive blues music collection was lost when my car was stolen.

When I have full rights to my goods as a consumer and a distribution model I like then I will side with the corps, but until then they can sleep in the bed they made.

G

Not to get all political, but its likely that as the vast majority of peoples salaries stay stagnant, yet the prices of media continue to rise, we're just going to see more and more piracy, despite the risk.

- J

[citation][nom]fkr[/nom]edogawa must be the only person who never copied their friends tapes, compact discs or old floppy disc games. I am on the pirates side, I have bought to many games and music multiple times because the original copies were ruined by kids, car accidents or once when a massive blues music collection was lost when my car was stolen.When I have full rights to my goods as a consumer and a distribution model I like then I will side with the corps, but until then they can sleep in the bed they made.[/citation]

Really? If you had a computer stolen do you expect to get a brand new one? No. You committed a crime and just admitted to it. It's one thing to copy a friends disc or floppies/discs, but a totally different thing to seed and spread it out to thousands of people who have no "right" to it. Some things cannot be stopped obviously, like copying something for a friend or two.

You will never have full rights to anything you buy, digital or physical or digital, you're only granted the right to view or listen to said product. You have access to thousands of movies online for cheap, as well as music, and your complaining about distribution models?

Piracy is wrong, if you create a movie, I'm sure as hell you wouldn't want me to spread it around to everyone free so that you lost profits. And of course I've copied tapes and floppies, who hasn't, but times have changes where there are quick and cheap avenues to access media.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]F. U Verizon go F yourself Verizon , did you hear me ? Go F. yourself Verizon , and maybe you did not hear me well enough F. U Verizon[/citation]
so your mad because your ISP would throttle your internet connection if you steal too much? go get a damn job and pay to enjoy other peoples hard work.

[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]This isn't a big deal unless your a pirate who is illegally downloading content. I honestly don't get the mindset of pirates, they know(or should know) what their doing is wrong, and that they have no legal right to download said file. I always see pirates say it won't hurt sales because it's not physical goods, but it's not different to entering an amusement park, you have no "RIGHT" to be there or to use said file.Only thing I disagree on is the punishment for pirates being caught, some people are charged 1 million dollars? They should just pay 3-4x the cost of what they downloaded as punishment.[/citation]

Except the whole monitoring your actions online.... but that is fine I guess right take away civil liberties of everyone to guard a few bucks a company was never going to get anyway

[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Except the whole monitoring your actions online.... but that is fine I guess right take away civil liberties of everyone to guard a few bucks a company was never going to get anyway[/citation]

It's one big mess how everything is turning out because people want free stuff. Things will probably get worse here on out I am guessing. There is fault on both sides.

[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]so your mad because your ISP would throttle your internet connection if you steal too much? go get a damn job and pay to enjoy other peoples hard work.[/citation]

mad because it is an invasion of privacy..... if it is private information how can they simply access it.....
call to get a list of the websites and ip addreses that accessed your computer over the last week and see what answer you get.......that is private and confindential information protected by.......xxxxx wiered that it works in reverse totally on the legal tip

Siddeous

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]adgjlsfhk[/nom]How does it distinguish between legitimate and pirated downloads? I can easily see this blowing up in a few years[/citation]

Exactly especially after some judges have ruled that an IP address is not a person.

fkr

Splendid
DRM on movies music and games sucks. I do not believe that pirating really hurts anybody. look at borderlands 2 on tpb right now. maybe 4k seeders. When games and movies are great people buy them and the devs make millions. You will never see a good company go under because of pirating. You know what I do not want to buy Cinderella for my children every time they come out with a new media platform. You think that I should pay $20 for a vhs then dvd then blueray then whatever comes next. Same for music. Lastly I do not want any ISP watching what I am doing on the internet. Period.

and if I could just replace the cost of my music for whatever the corps distribution cost is that would be fine but $15-20 for another copy is ridiculous.

You keep giving and the corps will continue to take. I would not be surprised if they start charging for everytime you rewatch something on your DVR since you do not really have the rights to own it and watch your movie whenever you want

zoobiewa

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Ethical systems are not set in stone. What many believe as good and evil is not etched in stone. The world changes. Things are not clear-cut. "Illegal" is an attempt by a society to make an argument. It is not reality. It will play out in its own. The ease at which some people will lash out and say things like, "Pirates are stealing; they should be punished for their illegalities" are ignorant of the way these arguments play out through societies. And they are ignorant that ownership of goods is problematic not only in the web, but in the real world.

What was once an established system of moral certainty has become unbalanced. Good and evil are constantly negotiated by h u m a n b e i n g s .

[citation][nom]zoobiewa[/nom]Ethical systems are not set in stone. What many believe as good and evil is not etched in stone. The world changes. Things are not clear-cut. "Illegal" is an attempt by a society to make an argument. It is not reality. It will play out in its own. The ease at which some people will lash out and say things like, "Pirates are stealing; they should be punished for their illegalities" are ignorant of the way these arguments play out through societies. And they are ignorant that ownership of goods is problematic not only in the web, but in the real world. What was once an established system of moral certainty has become unbalanced. Good and evil are constantly negotiated by h u m a n b e i n g s .[/citation]

Well, your statement made a lot of sense in a way, but this isn't a philosophical debate of any kind.

There is no debate if they are or not stealing, they are in one way or another, and that has to stop. Pirates have, people who download something without paying for it, have no legal "RIGHT" to use or view that content.

The illegal piracy of content, if it hurts sale or not is irrelevant too, even if 10% of pirates were forced to buy something, that is profit gain. In a sense, it is a moral issue too, but you have to be really cheap to pirate content, most things are not that expensive.

ethicalfan

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Verizon and Time Warner are simply flagrantly violating the law 17 USC 512(i) which states that in order to have safe harbor from the liability due to 42% of their upstream traffic being used to illegally distribute music, movies, software, games and books (Sandvine November 2012), they must have a policy for terminating repeat copyright infringers.

ethicalfan

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
42% of all US internet upstream traffic wouldn't be used to illegally distribute music, movies, games, software and ebooks if these ISPs were obeying US Federal law. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics says that musicians wages are down 45% since p2p technology arrived. US Home video sales (DVD, BluRay, PayTV, VOD, Streaming) are down 25% to $18.5B in 2011 from $25B in 2006.
The first BitTorrent search engines debuted in 2004. Recorded music is down worldwide from $27B in 1999 (Napster) to $15B in 2011. Video Game revenue (consoles & PC) is down 13% from 2007. In the meantime broadband revenues grew from zero to $50B a year in the US with p2p as the killer app that drove broadband adoption. Those are real jobs lost that are not coming back until the public realizes that these are your friends and neighbors whose careers are being destroyed by lack of copyright enforcement. Who is destroying these industries? ISPs who ignore the law 17 USC 512 (i) and do not terminate repeat infringers. US Telecom makes >$400B a year, creative industries less than

ethicalfan

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Here is the law (17 usc 512 (i)) verbatim. It is crystal clear that VZ and TWC must terminate repeat infringers. (i) Conditions for Eligibility.
(1) Accommodation of technology. The limitations on liability established by this section shall apply to a service provider only if the service provider;
(A) has adopted and reasonably implemented, and informs subscribers and account holders of the service provider's system or network of, a policy that provides for the TERMINATION in appropriate circumstances of subscribers and account holders of the service provider's system or network who are REPEAT INFRINGERS

ethicalfan

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
HERE IS VERIZON'S OWN POLICY WHICH THEY DO NOT IMPLEMENT

Copyright Infringement/Repeat Infringer Policy. Verizon respects the intellectual property rights of third parties. Accordingly, you may not store any material or use Verizon's systems or servers in any manner that constitutes an infringement of third party intellectual property rights, including under US copyright law. In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and other applicable laws, it is the policy of Verizon to suspend or terminate, in appropriate circumstances, the Service provided to any subscriber or account holder who is deemed to infringe third party intellectual property rights, including repeat infringers of copyrights. In addition, Verizon expressly reserves the right to suspend, terminate or take other interim action regarding the Service of any Subscriber or account holder if Verizon, in its sole judgment, believes that circumstances relating to an infringement of third party intellectual property rights warrant such action.

ethicalfan

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Article 27 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights says "Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author."

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfZv_lPwBFI

Video summarized:

For businesses:

-Treat your customers well, do not give them an incentive to pirate your stuff.
-Remember that you are competing against pirates.
-DRM usually doesn't work, most get cracked within a week after the game's release. Some games' DRM are cracked even before their launch.
-For Sony: do not mess with people who install Linux on their Playstation.

For customers:

-It's only okay to pirate it, if it's no longer available for purchase, or the regional lock didn't take in account that you lived on the North Pole.
-If you want it, pay for it.
-Just because it's broken, or you don't like the developers, doesn't mean it's right to steal their work.
-Developers are humans. Humans need to eat, and feed their family. And they don't have access to money growing trees.
-Think of purchasing games as an investment to better games in the future.
-If the developer didn't release a demo so you can know what the game is like, don't pirate it. Flood their mail inbox. Something will happen when it starts to overflow with complaints.

zoobiewa

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Well, your statement made a lot of sense in a way, but this isn't a philosophical debate of any kind.There is no debate if they are or not stealing, they are in one way or another, and that has to stop. Pirates have, people who download something without paying for it, have no legal "RIGHT" to use or view that content. The illegal piracy of content, if it hurts sale or not is irrelevant too, even if 10% of pirates were forced to buy something, that is profit gain. In a sense, it is a moral issue too, but you have to be really cheap to pirate content, most things are not that expensive.[/citation]

This IS a philosophical debate about what constitutes stealing. That is where you misunderstand. There are a million ways to complicate this issue and show it is full of nuance. Let's start with things that used to not be considered stealing but could be:

A song is playing on the radio. You have not paid to listen to it. Society has allowed you to hear it for free because it has negotiated something out.

A microscope discovers that when meat is left out, flies deposit eggs on it. You "know" that information for free, despite careers spent on developing those systems that led you to wash your hands and cook your meat. The discovery was published in a peer-reviewed journal which you never paid for. You have stolen that knowledge.

Your education was paid for by neither yourself or your parents, but a small percentage of everyone's.

You own almost nothing in your mind. It was created by a thousand generations of millions of hard workers standing on top of hard workers, sweating thinkers. Just about everything you have was given for free.

The planet grew thousands of forests on top of thousands of forests, only to have your burn this coagulation of millions of years in order to get to the gym and work out.

The sun burns for free.

It is pure arrogance to feel as if some product was so full of toil and accomplishment that they can deny other people their liberty.

This is just one angle of attack, just one perspective that causes the category of "stealing" to become destabilized. This says nothing of cultures by which respect is gained by giving the most away. This does not bring in the eloquent argument ad absurdum of illegal primes. I simply say that a "legal right to use" is not as concrete as you appear to think. It is nothing less than an expression of power that understands a contract is only such as its ability to enforce it.

This is merely an argument about power. Verizon is attempting to figure out how to flex that power. Illegality, stealing, piracy, etc. all whirl and dance as blurred, unlocalized spectres in a global conflict of ideas that we use to define concepts like freedom, expression, entertainment, work, value, money, fairness, and humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.