Question Vertical vs Horizontal GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I have a new Corsair 220t Airflow sitting here, which I planned on doing a vertical mount GPU with a universal kit... until I realized I may need additional PCIe ports. My other two case options were Phanteks P600S and Corsair 465x, which both include vertical GPU mount locations.

I like how with the Universal Vertical GPU Mount the GPU basically sits near the middle of the case, away from the glass (better airflow).

The P600S with the GPU mounted vertically has the most space but it's overall size is bigger than I was looking for, the 465x has less and is the size of my current case. The 220t is 3 inches less in width so it barely fits the 2070 Super (although I haven't checked with 8+6 pins plugged in) and would look nice because everything is nice and compact.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience specifically with the 465x and a vertical GPU, how close it is to the tempered glass.

First, I'm wondering about airflow and thermals if vertical mounting GPU

Second, in the 465x, would having PCIe slots populated (a TV Tuner card and a USB 3.0 card) behind the GPU backplate affect the GPU thermals/performance?

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I have an MSI 2070 Super here and I'm trying to decide on a new case. I'd like to vertically mount it but I'm wondering about performance and would would like some input.

Also, my thoughts are a universal kit is best for airflow, but I'd like to keep the option of using additional PCIe slots.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which case do you have?

Performance will depend on existing airflow (in the 'normal' orientation), and how close to the side panel you're mounting the card (for vertical mount).

For keeping access to other PCIe slots... vertical GpU mounting really isn't the way to go.
You might be able to access a top-most x1 slot or something, but you're going the aesthetic route, sacrificing some functionality to do so.

Make sure your specific 2070Super is a 2 slot design and not a 2.5 slot. Some exist, not sure if MSI offer many.... most of the brackets (especially universal kits) are limited by design to 2 slot cards.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Currently my case is a Thermaltake V3, but the 2070 doesn't fit. I ordered a 220t and it came the other day, then I remember the USB 3.0 port on the MSI mobo I recently built with may not work (or it could be the card reader)...but I could just plug in a hub to an existing port.

I had forgot I was wanting a TV Tuner/Capture Card to record shows to use clips for YouTube videos. I guess here as well I could use a USB or external interface.

I guess I'll just order a 465x and check the fit. I was moreso wondering if the USB card and TV Tuner do fit in the PCIe slots behind the GPU backplate will it affect thermals or any other concern?

I tried finding out (online) if the GPU I have is 2 or 2.5 slots. From what I see neither Newegg or the MSI page mentions it.

Last edited:
I just picked up the Phanteks p600s case and vertically mounted my 2080 ti. The card is a 3 slot which the case handled very well.

Case is very large, had no problems fitting my system in it and enough room and ample straps to make cable management very easy.

I also installed 3 120mm corsiar sp fans in the front, 2 140mm corsair fans in the top, and left the phanteks fan in the rear. All of them plug into the built in fan hub iin the case. I ended up using the AIO pump header on the motherboard to control the fan hub. Along with Asus's AI suite 3 software i can control the AIO header to control the fans.

The only downside and its not the cases fault is right next to the CPU air cooler it gets very cramped. With the riser cable i could only fit the sound card in the PCIe x1 slot at the very top. In combination with the 2080 ti's extra height it gets very cramped right under the air cooler. So much so that i had to file down 4-5 fins to clear the sli finger at the top of the card.

Even with everything being crammed in together my CPU and GPU temps have not gone up

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Thanks faalin! I do like the P600S for many reasons, especially the swing away sides and the option for quiet or airflow. It's actually the case I prefer, but at 20" x 20" I'd prefer one the same as my current case (18" x 18") or smaller. Although, I may end up getting it on order to do everything I'm looking for.

I have the 220t here and thre 465x will be here tomorrow, so I'll check fit and spacing on them and if neither will work I'll be getting the P600S.

The only downside and its not the cases fault is right next to the CPU air cooler it gets very cramped. With the riser cable i could only fit the sound card in the PCIe x1 slot at the very top. In combination with the 2080 ti's extra height it gets very cramped right under the air cooler. So much so that i had to file down 4-5 fins to clear the sli finger at the top of the card.

Thinking about the install and looking at riser cable my concern was being able to 'clear' additional PCIe x1 cards. Corsair has the longest riser cable with the right angle end for vertical mounting that I could find at 12" (other than connecting two together, which probably isn't ideal).

I ended up buying Phanteks 220mm cable. While i could have mounted my sound card down in the lower PCIe x1 slot and routed the cable around it it just looked silly. I probably could have moved the riser cable down to my lower PCIe x16 slot and then used a lower slot for my sound card but it all worked out. I guess thats the downside of vertically mounting a card with a riser cable.

I do have to say that with the front and top cover plates removed it does move a lot of air through the case, moving everything from a P400 case with the same fans you can really tell a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.