[SOLVED] Very High CPU temps, Bad sensor?

Jan 18, 2019
Hi I have a problem with my new cpu. Here is my setup:
i5 3570K
asrock Z77 pro4
corsair 650 tx v2
cpu cooler: spc spartan 923
AAB cooling thermal grease 2
2x4gb hynix ddr3 1333@1600

Previously i had i5 3350p clocked at 3.6 and it runned just fine with temps 67-72 under stress. Then i bought 3570K set it to 4ghz and stress tested it. The temperatures immediatelly went to 100 degrees. I checked with speedfan, open hardware monitor and gpu-z temp of hd4000. I made sure that the heatsink sits properly and is clean but nothing changed. Then i delided the cpu and changed that old hardened thermal paste on the die to a new one, But the temperatures were maybe 5 degrees lower at idle. At idle they go down to 29-30 at 22 room temperature so I think that it's not a problem with connection to the heatsink.

Other cause could be that the cooler is too small but few years ago I had an athlon ii x4 at 2.9@3.4 which has 95 W tdp and the temp never exceeded 80. And with Xeon 1240v2 (essentially i7 3770) they were under 83.

There is also preety big difference between the individual cores and it is fluctuating a lot, like 75 in one second and then 90 and back to 75 which didn't happen with previous cpu so i think there might be something wrong with temp sensor.
Heatpipes at the place closest to the cpu are around 45-50.
Here is screen under stress: screenshot

My conclusion: as the temp goes immediatelly from 30 to 100 under stress
1. connection to the cooler is not right, but I checked that a few times. Maybe thermal paste is bad?
2. sensors on cpu are faulty. Or maybe somehow it is drawing more power than needed?
What do you think is the issue?

Edit: After few hours of trying to fix it i looked at the cpu and heatsink closely and there were something like a burned points where are the corners of a cpu die. Now I think that the paste that I have is either old or fake.

Solution
looking at what you provided on the screenshot I noticed you got voltage @ 1.34v and running at 4300Mhz as seen below
cK1sbPS.png
which since the i5-3790K naturally turbo's at 3800mhz leads me to realize your overclocking your cpu.

if this is the case, could you tell me the origin of the heatsink and fan you are using, and if it is the OEM from Intel then your problem lies with that device. it is not sufficiently extracting heat from cpu as it never was designed for overclocking.

If your not knowingly overclocking, then I suggest you clear the bios on your board and start over and see without the overclocking setting how your cpu heat sink are handling the normal load of turbo without overclocking.

or if...

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
1. Does the thermal paste has alot of "breaking" look to it?
2. Can you manually set the fan to 100%? Because it will override the sensor and the fan will then always stay at 100% to determen if it is the sensor.
3. The CPU will not be damaged if it runs below 90 degrees.

Jan 18, 2019

Tried different fan speeds, doesn't really change much. The thermal paste is new. It runs at 105 and then throtles down a little. What do you mean proper heatsink? It has a flat surface just like the cpu, and is mounted with some pressure, that should be enough.

looking at what you provided on the screenshot I noticed you got voltage @ 1.34v and running at 4300Mhz as seen below
cK1sbPS.png
which since the i5-3790K naturally turbo's at 3800mhz leads me to realize your overclocking your cpu.

if this is the case, could you tell me the origin of the heatsink and fan you are using, and if it is the OEM from Intel then your problem lies with that device. it is not sufficiently extracting heat from cpu as it never was designed for overclocking.

If your not knowingly overclocking, then I suggest you clear the bios on your board and start over and see without the overclocking setting how your cpu heat sink are handling the normal load of turbo without overclocking.

or if your knowingly overclocking then I strongly suggest to get a proper heatsink/fan set for your cpu as continuing to test your cpu at over 100'c temp is only going to serve to degrade its quality and quickly shorten its lifespan.

Solution