Question Very high temperature under full load on my new Ryzen 2600

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi,
Today I ran a Prime 95 stress test on my new AMD Ryzen 2600 cpu. In idle it is at around 35-40 Celsius. After running Prime95 for 10 minutes, the temperature climbed to 82-85 Celsius max.
I installed the CPU properly and also put the heat sink tightly in correct position. Didn't test temperatures while gaming yet.
Is the temperature too high?
Most people are saying that Prime95 does torture tests that put CPU in an unrealistic load which results in such temperatures. And normal tasks will not generate this much heat. Is this true?
Thanks!!!

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Hi,
Today I ran a Prime 95 stress test on my new AMD Ryzen 2600 cpu. In idle it is at around 35-40 Celsius. After running Prime95 for 10 minutes, the temperature climbed to 82-85 Celsius max.
I installed the CPU properly and also put the heat sink tightly in correct position. Didn't test temperatures while gaming yet.
Is the temperature too high?
Most people are saying that Prime95 does torture tests that put CPU in an unrealistic load which results in such temperatures. And normal tasks will not generate this much heat. Is this true?
Thanks!!!

I agree with Dark Lord. Those temps are very high. I do disagree in one respect. You should be able to run all cores under 100% load without those temps. Prime95 is just like any other software that puts all cores under 100% load.

What cooler are you using? Has your case got enough airflow?

That's high, did you put thermal paste on the CPU/cooler??

But then again, I'm using a larger AIO cooler and my temps never exceed 60F even under full load.

I think the stock AMD cooler should be fine for gaming because it's a 6 core 12 thread cpu, but if you're going to stress the cpu that hard on all cores for long periods of time, I'd probably invest in something like a Hyper EVO 212 or similar cooler. It makes a world of difference in temps.

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I agree with Dark Lord. Those temps are very high. I do disagree in one respect. You should be able to run all cores under 100% load without those temps. Prime95 is just like any other software that puts all cores under 100% load.

What cooler are you using? Has your case got enough airflow?

I am using the stock cooler which came with the processor. And didn't change thermal paste. Its the same which was already present.
I tried to run with the case open also. Temperature didn't drop.
Is my CPU faulty or something?

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
That's high, did you put thermal paste on the CPU/cooler??

But then again, I'm using a larger AIO cooler and my temps never exceed 60F even under full load.

I think the stock AMD cooler should be fine for gaming because it's a 6 core 12 thread cpu, but if you're going to stress the cpu that hard on all cores for long periods of time, I'd probably invest in something like a Hyper EVO 212 or similar cooler. It makes a world of difference in temps.

It is the same thermal paste that came with the heat sink. I didn't change it.
Is my CPU faulty?
I am going to upgrade to a better heatsink ASAP.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Yes it is good, one of the best thermal pastes. Overkill for your cooler and cpu. mx 4 or equivalent would work well. I would still check to see if you cooler is torqued down properly. Maybe even undo the screws a bit and re-torque them in a different order.

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Yes it is good, one of the best thermal pastes. Overkill for your cooler and cpu. mx 4 or equivalent would work well. I would still check to see if you cooler is torqued down properly. Maybe even undo the screws a bit and re-torque them in a different order.
I will try that but I think the heatsink is seated properly. Because temperatures are dropping fast when cpu returns to idle.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
While the stock cooler is good for these processors, I don't think they're meant for a prime95 extended test. Chances are, everything you do from this point forward, will be within safe temps. There really isn't a ton out there that people use day to day that put that same level of strain on a cpu. Personally, I'd remove that cooler, clean the cpu and cooler, and use a 3rd party paste, whether it's MX4 or Kryonaut or Arctic Silver. But others have mentioned, you should really get some temp data while gaming, as thats the actual real world test.