[SOLVED] Very low FPS on DOOM Eternal!

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
Hi, i've just bought DOOM Eternal for PC, but i'm getting very low FPS on both Campaign and Multiplayer.
So i lowered my graphics settings at low, but it still barely playable with a fps average of 45 and occasionally comes down to 25!
Here my PC Specs:

System: Windows 10(64 bit )

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Memory: Viper 4 2x8 DDR4 3200MHz

Disk: ADATA SX900 ATA Device 64 GB SDD + Toshiba DT01ACA200 ATA Device 2000 GB HDD + SAMSUNG HD502HI ATA Device 500 GB HDD

Display adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780(3.00 GB)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M

Monitor: Samsung c24f390 24" LED Curved Monitor

I know, my GPU is really old and i can't expect the best from it, but at least i thought DOOM was playable!
Is anyone else having this low FPS problem?

Thank you!

Solution
I just checked Passmark scores, and a 780 scores just barely more than the minimum required 1050 Ti. To the person that asked if a 780 supports Vulkan, it's listed as supported on Nvidia's Vulkan Driver page, but that doesn't mean it's going to take advantage of Vulkan's performance gains as well as more modern architecture GPUs can. You basically have no idea what results you're going to get when using a min required GPU, especially on a game like this when using outdated GPU architecture.
https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

It also of course depends a lot on the graphics settings you use in game and how much VRAM you have. The 780 came in 3GB and 6 GB versions, and 3 would be very limiting in a game like this. I think...

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
Well, a GTX 780 is several gens old now. I mean you're talking about a 7 yr old GPU like it should play all today's games no sweat.

That said, it's more than graphics settings that affect performance. Try turning off the Steam and Nvidia overlays, and disabling Vsync.

Alredy tried, but still getting really low FPS, especially on Multiplayer...

Mar 22, 2020
This is not minimum system requirements and less 4GB memory:

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB), GTX 1060 (3GB), GTX 1650 (4GB) or AMD Radeon R9 280(3GB), AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB), RX 470 (4GB)

May be they not support any GPU and not present correct preference for GTX780 ... You can play if yours old GPU this is lucky model or best TOP model ...

Last edited:
Reactions: simo311
Mar 25, 2020
Well, a GTX 780 is several gens old now. I mean you're talking about a 7 yr old GPU like it should play all today's games no sweat.

The GTX 780 has comparable performance to what is in a PS4 Pro; it doesn't really matter how old it is.

I'm also experiencing issues getting the game to run properly with this card. At low settings 1080p the frame-rate jumps wildly from 70+ fps to under 20 fps in busy areas, making it essentially unplayable due to the physics slowdown. By comparison, Doom 2016 runs at solid 60+ fps on high-ultra settings and I can easily achieve 50-60 fps 1080p on more recent titles with medium-high settings. Doom Eternal is getting praise it's performance and optimization so there is clearly something wrong here.

I've heard that Vulcan optimization issues might be the culprit.

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
[...] At low settings 1080p the frame-rate jumps wildly from 70+ fps to under 20 fps in busy areas. By comparison, Doom 2016 runs at solid 60+ fps on high-ultra settings and I can easily achieve 50-60 fps 1080p on more recent titles with medium-high settings. Doom Eternal is getting praise it's performance and optimization so there is clearly something wrong here.
I'm having the exact same situation, everything else works just great except for Doom eternal...

Is your memory actually running at 3200mhz? Double check this in the BIOS and if not then make sure the memory is in the correct slots (usually A2/B2) and enable XMP and try the game again.

Did you download the newest Nvidia driver? The most recent one, I believe, is drivers for Doom: Eternal.
I'm quite sure that the RAM is properly set but I'll give it another check.
I'm not sure about the XMP thing though.
Yes, I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and also performed a double installation just to be sure.
Thanks, I'll let you know if things change for the best!

Mar 22, 2020
The GTX 780 has comparable performance to what is in a PS4 Pro; it doesn't really matter how old it is.
May be developers fix locations and you can play with 40 - 60FPS and normal setting. But now this is first version after releace and they can't fix all bugs in this version. I'm wait some games 3 -4 mounth for normal play after relese ... STALKER: Clear Sky - this is bug leader of old time for example.

WildCard999

Titan
While playing:
CPU temperature around 75 C°
GPU temperature around 70 C°
Temps are fine.

It could just be poorly optimized currently which isn't very surprising on a new game but one last thing I'd recommend doing is download Nvidia Geforce Experience and let it "optimize" the game for you to see if there's any improvement as there could be a option enabled or disabled in the graphic settings that you've overlooked which could be affecting your FPS. While this is something you can uninstall later on I'd be interested in what it changes from your current settings and if there is improvement.

I'd install it when you install (or reinstall) the current graphics driver.

I just checked Passmark scores, and a 780 scores just barely more than the minimum required 1050 Ti. To the person that asked if a 780 supports Vulkan, it's listed as supported on Nvidia's Vulkan Driver page, but that doesn't mean it's going to take advantage of Vulkan's performance gains as well as more modern architecture GPUs can. You basically have no idea what results you're going to get when using a min required GPU, especially on a game like this when using outdated GPU architecture.
https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

It also of course depends a lot on the graphics settings you use in game and how much VRAM you have. The 780 came in 3GB and 6 GB versions, and 3 would be very limiting in a game like this. I think it's clear just the fact that if you minimize the game you can't launch a browser, nor will the game launch if you have a browser running, that it's more resource hungry than most games.

I have zero problems with performance or lag spikes on my 8700k, 1080 rig, even though I'm running it on Ultra Nightmare settings at 1440p DSR. Vulkan did a lot for optimization yes, but they took full advantage of that to make the maps bigger and more detailed, plus there's more chaos going on during battles.

So you just have to deal with the fact that it takes a good rig to run it. I will end by saying I highly recommend using the crash fixes that worked for many on the Steam forums (and myself). They may also improve performance even if you aren't experiencing any crashing. It involves reconfiguring ReShade (if you have it installed) to not work with Vulkan, clean booting your PC, updating your graphics driver, removing traces of Vulkan in System32, then reinstalling Vulkan.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/782330/discussions/0/1867245431035099570/

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
[...] One last thing I'd recommend doing is download Nvidia Geforce Experience and let it "optimize" the game for you to see if there's any improvement as there could be a option enabled or disabled in the graphic settings that you've overlooked which could be affecting your FPS.

I already have Nvidia Geforce Experience installed on my system, but weirdly it's unable to detect Doom Eternal's intallation.

[..] So you just have to deal with the fact that it takes a good rig to run it. I will end by saying I highly recommend using the crash fixes that worked for many on the Steam forums (and myself). They may also improve performance even if you aren't experiencing any crashing. It involves reconfiguring ReShade (if you have it installed) to not work with Vulkan, clean booting your PC, updating your graphics driver, removing traces of Vulkan in System32, then reinstalling Vulkan.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/782330/discussions/0/1867245431035099570/

Ok, thanks, i'll try!

I'm also experiencing issues getting the game to run properly with this card. At low settings 1080p the frame-rate jumps wildly from 70+ fps to under 20 fps in busy areas, making it essentially unplayable due to the physics slowdown. By comparison, Doom 2016 runs at solid 60+ fps on high-ultra settings and I can easily achieve 50-60 fps 1080p on more recent titles with medium-high settings. Doom Eternal is getting praise it's performance and optimization so there is clearly something wrong here.

I've heard that Vulcan optimization issues might be the culprit.
You really can't accurately asses what a GPUs performance will be in a PC game compared to consoles with so called equivalent graphics power, because consoles use APUs, which are very different. Also, the console titles themselves regarding exclusives anyway, are specially optimized carefully. Doom Eternal, from what many are saying on the official Bethesda Doom forums, does not run as well on console though.

As I also said above, just because the 780 is listed as a Vulkan supporting GPU, does not mean it can make use of Vulkan's optimizations as well as later gen GPUs.

Lastly, Passmark may not be the end all be all of benchmarks, but it's useful for comparing the power of one GPU to another, and it shows the 780 as barely more powerful than the min required 1050 Ti.

That's enough info to tell me the 780 cannot be trusted to run the game well.