Question Very minimal system? 1

Jan 4, 2022
Preview
Just registered today. Hope I'm entitled to one newbie question.

If I only want to run Origin and play Red Alert 3 and CnC 3 Tiberium Wars 3/Kane's Wrath at 1920x1200 what's the minimum desktop PC that I can get away with that won't burn up in a few years?

Thanks in Advance!

there are thousands of models of pre-built systems from over the last decade that could potentially run what your looking to.
there is no "minimum" desktop PC.

your best option would be to go to a local shop or maybe a Best Buy or something and just tell them you have no clue what you're doing but have a budget.
they would lead you towards what you can afford.

Last edited:
Preview
Just registered today. Hope I'm entitled to one newbie question.

If I only want to run Origin and play Red Alert 3 and CnC 3 Tiberium Wars 3/Kane's Wrath at 1920x1200 what's the minimum desktop PC that I can get away with that won't burn up in a few years?

Thanks in Advance!
The prices of graphics cards are insanely expensive atm due to the chip shortage coupled with the internet mining craze. What's your budget and what country are you located?

Jan 4, 2022
there are thousands of models of pre-built systems from over the last decade that could potentially run what your looking to.
there is no "minimum" desktop PC.

your best option would be to go to a local shop or maybe a Best Buy or something and just tell them you have no clue what your doing but have a budget.
they would lead you towards what you can afford.

Pournelle's law of experts dictates that I ask here and not down at the local Walmart.

and no one mentioned Walmart.
a "local shop", meaning a computer shop, or even a Best Buy is a totally different type of retailer.

and you're idea of asking here would only apply if you can actually build a system yourself and understand what your budget could possibly achieve.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022
The prices of graphics cards are insanely expensive atm due to the chip shortage coupled with the internet mining craze. What's your budget and what country are you located?

Right, and I suspect that many of them are far more powerful than my humble needs which were being satisfied by a GPU from 10 years ago.
So, I'm looking for a pre-built commodity system that can play those old games without burning up and not much more.
I hope to pay < 1k. And I'm going to wait for one with Windows 11 pre-installed.

I'm in the USA.

Reactions: Why_Me
Jan 4, 2022
a "local shop", meaning a computer shop, or even a Best Buy is a totally different type of retailer.

and you're idea of asking here would only apply if you can actually build a system yourself and understand what your budget could possibly achieve.

I mentioned Walmart because AFAIK that's what's available in my town.
Even so, I suspect they are selling more powerful machines than I actually need.

It did occur to me to ask Origin what kind of system they recommend for the games they sell.
But that is not a service that they provide.

Jan 4, 2022

Oh, my bad. I want a "Prebuilt" not a "system". I'll just repost over there in "Prebuilt and Enterpise".

Reactions: Why_Me
Jan 4, 2022
I just registered today. Hope I'm entitled to one newbie question. (and hope the one in the wrong channel doesn't count.)

If I only want to run Origin and play Red Alert 3 and CnC 3 Tiberium Wars 3/Kane's Wrath at 1920x1200 what's a minimal prebuilt desktop PC that I can get away with that won't burn up in a few years?

Must run Windows 11 so it can be updated.

Thanks in Advance!

every game available for PC offers "minimum" and "recommended" system requirements.
maybe you should find a better distributor if Origin does not offer that information.
Oh, my bad. I want a "Prebuilt" not a "system". I'll just repost over there in "Prebuilt and Enterpise".
no, this would mean that you require a sales person at a location that sells systems.
not advice on what individual hardware to purchase for your system.