Question Very noticeable screen tearing artefact on monitor while scrolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattwerew

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
I've been getting this very weird and annoying artefact whenever I'm scrolling through websites, watching videos and using programs.
Its not the type of screen tearing when you turn off vsync in games, it only seems to happen towards the bottom of the screen.
Here's a short video of what I'm seeing:
View: https://youtu.be/7Woc_cSwInE

I have the latest GeForce driver installed by the way.

PC specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance while screen is "static" and then while being scrolled.

mattwerew

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance while screen is "static" and then while being scrolled.

PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 450 W ATX Power Supply
Condition: Second hand, been in regular use since late May this year.
Used for gaming, I usually load up a game or two per day.

Disk drives:
1x Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (boot drive)
around 60gb free space

1x Kingston SSDNow UV300 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
20gb free space

1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
650gb free space

Task manager: Static on the Youtube home page, CPU usage less than 10%, GPU usage 1%.
Scrolling up and down makes the CPU jump up to 30-45%, sometimes up to 55%. GPU usage 10% to 20%
Watching a 4K Youtube video, CPU usage goes to 40-50%, GPU usage less than 10%
RAM usage was at 7gb~ being used.
Pretty similar results with Resource monitor as well.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU may be nearing its designed in EOL (End of Life) and starting to struggle when power demands peak.

The second Kingston drive (UV300) may be a bit too full being roughly 84% full. (My preference/ limit is 70-80% full - that is just me.)

Both drives being 120 are too low overall. The boot drive should be 240 GB at least and host virtual RAM.

And maybe some of the games as well.

Summary: If pressed to pick a cause then my thought is that the PSU is a likely culprit.

mattwerew

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
PSU may be nearing its designed in EOL (End of Life) and starting to struggle when power demands peak.

The second Kingston drive (UV300) may be a bit too full being roughly 84% full. (My preference/ limit is 70-80% full - that is just me.)

Both drives being 120 are too low overall. The boot drive should be 240 GB at least and host virtual RAM.

And maybe some of the games as well.

Summary: If pressed to pick a cause then my thought is that the PSU is a likely culprit.

Interesting
I recently moved Battlefield 4 and CSGO into the UV300 from my HDD so that might've been a mistake. For the PSU, well, if that's the case then I might have to invest in a new one, as well as some bigger SSDs I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021
I've been getting this very weird and annoying artefact whenever I'm scrolling through websites, watching videos and using programs.
Its not the type of screen tearing when you turn off vsync in games, it only seems to happen towards the bottom of the screen.
Here's a short video of what I'm seeing:
View: https://youtu.be/7Woc_cSwInE

I have the latest GeForce driver installed by the way.

PC specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970

Using google chrome? Chromes GPU acceleration can cause that. Try another browser if you haven't allready. Also newest Nvidia drivers are causing some tearing for some users including me.

mattwerew

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
Using google chrome? Chromes GPU acceleration can cause that. Try another browser if you haven't allready. Also newest Nvidia drivers are causing some tearing for some users including me.
I enabled GPU acceleration and I got the opposite result. The screen tearing completely disappears.

Nov 15, 2021
I enabled GPU acceleration and I got the opposite result. The screen tearing completely disappears.

Haha i ment to write that had it disabled aswell but made a mistake. Yeah its something that cause tearing for many users what i've read, and i dont think there are any benefits for not having GPU acceleration ON so thats a proper fix for most users atleast.

Status
Not open for further replies.