[SOLVED] Very Slow Windows 7 computer: tried chkdsk

TheNightTerror

Prominent
Feb 3, 2020
Thank you so much! This isn't terribly urgent, as this isn't my main PC. Before I get started, I will post my specs (like I'm supposed to):

CPU: fx 9370
GPU(s): gtx 660 ti, and an 8600 gt (which has been removed, with me thinking it caused the problem.)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa 3
ram: forgot, ddr3 1333 MHz
drive in question: wd caviar blue WD7500BPVT-24HXZT1, a few years old

Here is the situation: Recently bought a few graphics cards on eBay, tested most of them, installed the 660 ti, and installed the drivers (which it had problems with at first). I decided to install the 8600gt, which seemed to cause problems. Windows 7 took about 2-3x as long to boot, and I could get to the login screen. I could log in, and at first, it would just be the cursor with the windows not activated message. Sometimes, icons would show up, and it could run smoothly for short periods of time, with programs taking a very long time to start. This was achieved once by going in and out of safe mode. I tried removing the 8600gt, which didn't fix the issue. I went into safe mode with command prompt and ran scannow. This seemed to make the problem worse, and the last thing I tried was chkdsk. It is still running it right now, I believe, and is stuck at stage 4 at 11% on one file for the past couple hours. If you have any insight as to whether I should let it be, or do something, please respond.

Other important notes:
The drive came out of a laptop with fall damage, the drive still worked perfectly.
I used it in a dell poweredge t110 for a couple years.
I transferred it to the amd system.
I installed the epic games store, furmark, and hwinfo shortly before this happened.

Thank you for your time. If you need more info, please tell me!

Solution
That's probably your best bet, the hard drive is most likely damaged. I'm not sure if you drive supports it, but you could download HWinfo 64, go to the S.M.A.R.T section and check for damage.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Well, seeing as you have a hard drive, all loading times will be slow no matter what. Dropping it may have damaged a component, slowing it down even more. It sounds just to be a storage issue, so the best way to do this would just to buy a cheap ssd and clone your hard drive onto it, then boot off of that.

TheNightTerror

Prominent
Feb 3, 2020
Well, seeing as you have a hard drive, all loading times will be slow no matter what. Dropping it may have damaged a component, slowing it down even more. It sounds just to be a storage issue, so the best way to do this would just to buy a cheap ssd and clone your hard drive onto it, then boot off of that.
The drive worked perfectly well and worked as fast as an ssd from my experience for years, then suddenly became slow.

TheNightTerror

Prominent
Feb 3, 2020
If I can't fix this drive, I will do a clean win10 install on the old drive that was in the laptop that I happen to be typing on right now (has SSD). The laptop is separate from the desktop.