Very stupid question about motherboards and standoffs...

___P___

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Hey all,

Lately I have been wondering about something. I own a mastercase pro 5 and back in the day I put my pc in it. (with my new at the time Z170 deluxe board)

When I tried to place it in the case with the io shield in place (who has a special cushion btw), the motherboard did not fit the standoffs correctly... Like if the board had the screw holes, the standoff would be like half only in the middle of the hole... So I could not put the screws in.

I told this to some other people and they told me that the cushion some motherboards have just do that and that I just had to push the motherboard more towards the io shield and screw it in.

So I did that, but now I am wondering if that is just really okay. All the screws are now but wouldn't there be a lot of tension on it now? I mean in all those youtube videos you just see people screwing the motherboards in just like that by just placing it in. Did I do something wrong?

Solution
The I/O Panel oft uses a "bent spring" (thing auto rear axle) to insure a ground contact. Yes, you are supposed to angle the MoBo in, I/O side 1st and press against the case rear to insure good contact ... per Asus tech support circa mid 90s :).
The I/O Panel oft uses a "bent spring" (thing auto rear axle) to insure a ground contact. Yes, you are supposed to angle the MoBo in, I/O side 1st and press against the case rear to insure good contact ... per Asus tech support circa mid 90s :).

Solution