VGA Charts 2008: 101 Configurations Tested

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tj_the_first

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Sounds like a mammoth task so cheers for your hard work. I'm not concerned about the CPU choice because it is valuable to compare to other reviews using $1500 CPUs I'd never buy.

Like most I'd be happy to see the late inclusion of the 4870X2 but without relevant drivers it really does defeat the purpose. For me it comes down to no 8.7/8.8 drivers = no 4xx0 numbers worth squat.

Good job and thanks for the update on the video card charts! We all wanted them :)

Now... We all know this is an incomplete chart/review, you're still missing a few things: SLI'ed 9800GX2's, CF'ed 4870X2's, single 4870X2 and at least the hot fixes on the C8.6 drivers. Maybe juicing up the processor will give us all a better view of things, would be much appreciated if you guys could do that, at least for last gen cards (GTX200 and RV770).

Anyway, good job and try to improve more.

Esop!

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]anonymous x[/nom]500 hours- that's about three weeks of testingswitching drivers in the middle of testing won't produce consistent results[/citation]
It will if you don't start over. What if you suddenly had the 4850 performaing 30% better than the 4870? :lol:

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Please redo Ati 4000 series tests with newer drivers, all this work is pointless to me and others if you give us benchmarks with outdated drivers. I skipped browsing through the results when I say Catalyst 8.6. Toms of old days (the one who's sticker was on my motherboard and I was so damn proud of it, big "Tom's Hardware Certified") would never have released a test with anything but the latest drivers, even beta drivers included in the mix if they showed promising results.
We respect all this work you do which is allot of man hours, but please bench latest hardware using appropriate drivers and not a generation old drivers. If this is not a case of bias I don't know which one is.

CompGuy8485

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I just started building a system for a friend. Perfect timing. I think we (the Tom's community) were getting use to flaming bad articles. Now that a good one comes out we tend to nit pick quite a bit. Seriously good job Tino, I hope to read more from you.

G

haha The AMD get back one top , the fastest but i think the problem is the power comsumn is not to good for AMD last model.

92Sileighty

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I see all 1Gig Nvidia cards on your chart, but not a single 1Gig ATI card.
You do know there is a ATI 4870 1Gig card, right?

Obie327

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Not too bad of results..I have both the 8800 ultra extreme and 260 gtx+ superclocked and 8800 (g92) gts 512.. I love good performance and Compatibility with my games. The overclock on the 260 is comparable to performance of the 280 stock. Thanks for the exhaustive testing!

Status
Not open for further replies.