Question VGA Red Light Issue

TimeMuffinPhD

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
Recently I had been experiencing issues with my PC randomly powering off. It wasn't an issue since it would restart just fine and would only happen irregularly. However this time it won't power back on fully. Lights and fans etc will come on, but won't display to any monitor. It's also showing a red debug light over VGA, which should indicate an issue with the GPU.

I've tried several things which I will list:
  • reseating RAM/using one stick
  • clearing CMOS
  • trying the GPU in a different slot
  • making sure all connections are snug - particularly for the GPU
  • Would use integrated graphics if I had it

Here are my components also:
  • Nvidia GTX 960
  • X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • Ryzen 7
  • 550W PSU
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB x2

Sorry I don't have exact models for some hardware. Let me know if you need anymore info. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The PSU is an Atrix Expert 600W atx.

Unfortunately I've never properly monitored the temps. I didn't notice anything that was cause for concern though.

Oof. This is a very low-quality, fake 600W PSU. It can barely output 300W of +12V power, even if it were the best PSU in the world otherwise (it is not). Replacing this should have been done under any circumstances; that you're actually having symptoms consistent with a failing PSU makes it a no-brainer as the next step. Hopefully, this isn't the worst-case scenario: a motherboard or GPU dying because of the low-quality PSU.