[SOLVED] VGA screen DVI - D , DVI - A or HDMI adapter?

tedsorvino

Commendable
Oct 12, 2018
Hi . I've got an old lcd vga monitor and I would like to connect it on my Asus Prime 450 motherboard via one of the digital ports in order to epxeriment with my Radeon Graphic Vega 8 graphic card's scaling, custom resolution and aspect ratio capabilities. They are not available through the VGA port. Only through DVI D or HDMI

THESE ARE THE SPECS

Integrated Graphics in the 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI-D/D-Sub ports
  • Supports HDMI 2.0b with maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
  • Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
  • Supports D-sub with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
What kind of adapter do I need in order to do so? VGA female to DVI - A male , to DVI - D or to HDMI ? Active, passive? Any example with link please.

Thanks

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
Hi . I've got an old lcd vga monitor and I would like to connect it on my Asus Prime 450 motherboard via one of the digital ports in order to epxeriment with my Radeon Graphic Vega 8 graphic card's scaling, custom resolution and aspect ratio capabilities. They are not available through the VGA port. Only through DVI D or HDMI

THESE ARE THE SPECS

Integrated Graphics in the 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI-D/D-Sub ports
  • Supports HDMI 2.0b with maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
  • Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
  • Supports D-sub with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
What kind of adapter do I need in order to do so? VGA female to DVI - A male , to DVI - D or to HDMI ? Active, passive? Any example with link please.

Thanks

If your monitor only has VGA ports, than you should use the D-Sub port of your GPU.

Please note that your monitor bottlenecks your video experience!

Reactions: tedsorvino

tedsorvino

Commendable
Oct 12, 2018

Sorry about that. This one

PRIME B450M-A

tedsorvino

Commendable
Oct 12, 2018
VGA is a very old type of connection. It is an analog connection.

In the future, you should take into consideration upgrading your monitor to one that has DisplayPort 1.4 (or higher), or HDMI 2.0 (or higher).

With VGA that’s pretty much all you can get.

I'm about to change it, but before I throw it away I would like to experiment with a converter - adapter to see what the results are.

Reactions: Endre
PRIME B450M-A
Your board has VGA output. Use that.

in order to epxeriment with my Radeon Graphic Vega 8 graphic card's scaling, custom resolution and aspect ratio capabilities.
Not exactly sure, what you intend to accomplish there.
DVI->VGA and HDMI-VGA adapters usually have limited number of supported resolutions. If Vega graphics is able to output desired custom resolution, the adapter might not be able to pass it to monitor.
And for monitor best image quality is, if video signal in monitor native resolution.

Sorry - but using signal converter adapters, when you already have native vga output seems kindda pointless.

The thing is that I have only DVI - D and HDMI ports. No Display Port.

Yes, seems I accidentally skipped this response.

PRIME B450M-A

PRIME B450M-A have analog 15-pin VGA output. Use it with your monitor. You already have a cable.

tedsorvino

Commendable
Oct 12, 2018
Your board has VGA output. Use that.

Not exactly sure, what you intend to accomplish there.
DVI->VGA and HDMI-VGA adapters usually have limited number of supported resolutions. If Vega graphics is able to output desired custom resolution, the adapter might not be able to pass it to monitor.
And for monitor best image quality is, if video signal in monitor native resolution.

Sorry - but using signal converter adapters, when you already have native vga output seems kindda pointless.

I would like to try 4:3 aspect ratio for 1 application that needs it, instead of the native 5:4 of the monitor. And I would like to see what I can achieve by using the custom resolutions and the scaling capabilities of the card.

Yes I know. But with the VGA the card doesn't support any of its capabilities from its program. They only work only through its digital ports.

Don't flatter yourself :) Your motherboard specs stated 1920x1200@60 Hz support via analog VGA output.
Supports D-sub with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Old monitor you are using now most likely have even lower resolution. You will gain nothing with digital to analog video conversion. If you definitely want to use all available video modes in monitor, search for this monitor model INF file (may be called a driver) in monitor manufacturer home page and install this INF file into your Windows.

tedsorvino

Commendable
Oct 12, 2018
Don't flatter yourself :) Your motherboard specs stated 1920x1200@60 Hz support via analog VGA output.

Old monitor you are using now most likely have even lower resolution. You will gain nothing with digital to analog video conversion. If you definitely want to use all available video modes in monitor, search for this monitor model INF file (may be called a driver) in monitor manufacturer home page and install this INF file into your Windows.

The native resolution for the monitor is 1280 x 1024 max. That's 5:4. I would like to try something like 1280 X 960 which is 4:3. It's a lower resolution. But I can't do that through the vga port I think. The driver for my dell monitor is non existent. I've searched in the past.

tedsorvino

Commendable
Oct 12, 2018
You can try Custom Resolution Utility on your monitor. It can find all available video modes for it.

Why you think that you should work in 1280 X 960? You will lose some part of screen at top and bottom or will get awful stretched picture.

That's what I'm saying. Custom resolution is ONLY available through DVI - D and HDMI. I need it for an application that NEEDS to be stretched.