[SOLVED] Viao laptop does not detect Wireless Signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
My Viao connects to the internet with LAN but it doesn't detect the WLAN. I have done different things and none seem to work. I have also done some trouble shooting through Windows and the system says that the network adapter is not connected and need to be configured?

Sony has some drivers and such that might hep https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00006787 but they aren't for Vista only for Win7. I checked inside the laptop and the wifi card is properly seated and connected, the wireless light has never been lit. I've also checked the drivers by going to the device manager and checking for updates under the network adapter and it says that the most current drivers are installed, regardless, i uninstalled the drivers and installed them back and nothing. It's funny because i see the ROKU under the network screen. I'm thinking the WIFI switch might be faulty but that's a whole 'nother story.

Last edited:
Solution
Trying to run an unsupported OS will always result in problems. That particular laptop's wireless is software controlled and you must use one of the two named utilities to enable/disable the radio. There are NO other options.

And, admitting to running a non genuine copy of an OS is not something one admits here. There is absolutely NO support provided to pirates.

Closing.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
Boot into a live linux and check if wifi works.

You should be able to find Vista drivers for your laptop on drivers page of sony's website.

Another choice is to use external wireless adapters via USB.
I tried going to sony but under OS the only option for my laptop is for Win7 not Vista. Such BS. I know about the the usb option but i want to get to the root cause here even though it can be exhausting. I've never dealt with linux before so i'll have to check how that goes.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
Boot into a live linux and check if wifi works.

You should be able to find Vista drivers for your laptop on drivers page of sony's website.

Another choice is to use external wireless adapters via USB.
I'm sure that downloading the drivers from Sony will fix the issue but as i said before they only support down to Win7. The link provided says...

""Turn on the WLAN adapter with one of the following:
Which makes perfect since but i'm on Vista not Win7 and i can't update to Win7 since i'm not running a genuine OS copy. This is frustrating.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
You could try searching for the HardWare ID of the wifi.
https://prnt.sc/tcjm98
If you can't find anything, let me know what the ID is and we can have a browse.
Ok, i'll look into that. I'm actually trying to set up an access point where i need to manually do everything . One of the things it ask me to do after going into my router is to enter a WPS PIN after pushing the WPS button but i don't know how many times i pressed the accursed WPS button but i haven't a clue as to where to look for the damn code. Sigh Aghh. Sorry:pt1cable:

Trying to run an unsupported OS will always result in problems. That particular laptop's wireless is software controlled and you must use one of the two named utilities to enable/disable the radio. There are NO other options.

And, admitting to running a non genuine copy of an OS is not something one admits here. There is absolutely NO support provided to pirates.

Closing.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.