Video card for Gateway sx2800

Whale2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Hello,
I recently purchased a Gateway SX2800-01 Quad Core Q8200/4GB/640GB with a 220 watt power supply.

I would like to add a graphics card and am seeking recommendations. The computer has a video card PCI Express X16 Slot.

Some have used Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT LowPower LowProfile and reported having no problems. I wonder what the long term effects of such a card would be.

Is there a better card for me?

My suggestion would be to get a bigger PSU which would cost around $50 or $60 and go with a more powerful card. For what those 9600GTs cost its not worth it IMO. But If you were to get the 9600GT it should't have a problem running on that system.

2 questions

What games do you intend to be playing with this? Also are you serious about gaming or do you just want to play here and there?

Whale2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I am going to seldom run games, but I would like to be able to whenever I want. I am concerned about the 9600 GT because the specs indicate a minimum of 300 watts in the power supply. I worry about the heat and the lack of power over the long term.

I guess with me playing seldom, it would work.

dannyhightower

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I have this computer and upgraded to the ATI / Saphire 5570 from Newegg. It unlocks DTS-HD and True-HD Audio and the actual HD video is noticably improved over the stock card. After adding the card video conversion time is reduced by about 60%. The card is supposed to be ok/good for gaming (but I dont use my PC for that).

I have no issues with it overheating and the card with its fan fits into the slot with no problem. It took about 5 minutes to install it. Research this card. Others bought with the same system it before me and reported good results so i took the plunge and am happy i did.