Video Card Install Question

My daughter-in-law has an S6000CL with integrated video. I am installing an
AGP video card to improve performance and just want to be sure of the
process. I have read conflicting information about disabling the onboard
video. Some have said that it will be disabled automatically with the AGP
card installed. Others have said to enter the BIOS and set the video to
disabled in the settings (where the video RAM size is set). I am wondering
if anyone has a definitive answer on the procedure? Thanks for any help.

Regards,
John O.

Two places to find the info you need:

1. The Compaq website

2. The owners manual that came with the computer.

Bobby

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> My daughter-in-law has an S6000CL with integrated video. I am installing
> an AGP video card to improve performance and just want to be sure of the
> process. I have read conflicting information about disabling the onboard
> video. Some have said that it will be disabled automatically with the AGP
> card installed. Others have said to enter the BIOS and set the video to
> disabled in the settings (where the video RAM size is set). I am wondering
> if anyone has a definitive answer on the procedure? Thanks for any help.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

dos

plug the card in,try it....

> My daughter-in-law has an S6000CL with integrated video. I am installing
an
> AGP video card to improve performance and just want to be sure of the
> process. I have read conflicting information about disabling the onboard
> video. Some have said that it will be disabled automatically with the AGP
> card installed. Others have said to enter the BIOS and set the video to
> disabled in the settings (where the video RAM size is set). I am wondering
> if anyone has a definitive answer on the procedure? Thanks for any help.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

Neither the web site or the manual touch on the subject of integrated video.
The whole approach is for a system that has a card already installed but not
integrated. I guess the proof will be when we plug it in.

Regards,
John O.

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> Two places to find the info you need:
>
> 1. The Compaq website
>
> 2. The owners manual that came with the computer.
>
> Bobby
>
> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> My daughter-in-law has an S6000CL with integrated video. I am installing
>> an AGP video card to improve performance and just want to be sure of the
>> process. I have read conflicting information about disabling the onboard
>> video. Some have said that it will be disabled automatically with the AGP
>> card installed. Others have said to enter the BIOS and set the video to
>> disabled in the settings (where the video RAM size is set). I am
>> wondering if anyone has a definitive answer on the procedure? Thanks for
>> any help.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John O.

hh

If there is integrated video + an AGP slot, installing an AGP video card
will automatically disable the onboard video. Just to be sure, check in the
BIOS and set the video to onboard/AGP.There likely is a second setting for
PCI video.
HH

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> My daughter-in-law has an S6000CL with integrated video. I am installing
> an AGP video card to improve performance and just want to be sure of the
> process. I have read conflicting information about disabling the onboard
> video. Some have said that it will be disabled automatically with the AGP
> card installed. Others have said to enter the BIOS and set the video to
> disabled in the settings (where the video RAM size is set). I am wondering
> if anyone has a definitive answer on the procedure? Thanks for any help.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

JJ

You were right on the nose and I should have tried it first. The onboard was
disabled automatically and installation was a breeze.

Regards,
John O.