Question Itermittent black screening

Jul 27, 2024
Hey guys, Ive finally gone crazy and am trying to put it to rest, so here I am.

About 4 months ago I decided to buy myself a newer graphics card, so I grabbed a Gigabyte Windforce 4070 Super, which replaced my 2060 Super Founders Edition..

Ever since, I have had intermittent black screening, dont matter if Im just sitting on the desktop, or playing a game, theres times itll flash 2 or 3 times in a few mins, or itll just about give me a seizure it flashes so much.

I did a clean install of GPU drivers, problemed persisted, reinstalled the 2060S and did another clean install of GPU drivers, Ive changed cables, Ive changed settings, Ive done everything that I could research on my own on the internet to no avail.

So now Im desperate, and its quite literally driving me insane, any help would be much appreciated.

OS: Win10 Home CPU: R5 3600X GPU(s): 2060S/4070S PSU: A 700W corsair PSU I bought some years ago RAM: 32GB 3600mhz corsair vengeance pro MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi B450

If any other system specs/parts are needed or a diag, I can provide those once I get home, thank you!

js2

Jul 16, 2024
Could be your old PSU is giving up, or you have a display issue.

Check PSU and monitor for dust, and try a different cable.

Jul 27, 2024
What's refresh rate of the monitor and how long are and which type of video cable? What if you lower Hz to say 60, does the flickering stop?

Perhaps the 12vhpwr adapter included with the card (if that's what you're using) could be suspect, generic quality.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-...5-0-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-power-cable-cp-8920284
Its a 120 hz monitor, Ive tried limiting it to 60 and the problem persist, Im using an 3 or 4 foot HDMI, and I would say thats the culprit, but after swapping back to the 2060S, the problem continued, when it didnt before.
Could be your old PSU is giving up, or you have a display issue.

Check PSU and monitor for dust, and try a different cable.
Thats what I was leaning towards, I cleaned the PSU and the monitor both, though, the monitor is just as old as the 4070S.
What's the *exact* PSU? The only Corsair 700W PSU I'm familiar with the GS700, and that's absolutely ancient in 2024.
Ill have to give you the exact PSU once Im home, but your assumption is correct, the PSU is at least 7 to 9 years old 😅

I appreciate the responses guys, lot more helpful than everywhere else has been!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Its a 120 hz monitor, Ive tried limiting it to 60 and the problem persist, Im using an 3 or 4 foot HDMI, and I would say thats the culprit, but after swapping back to the 2060S, the problem continued, when it didnt before.

4 ft is 1.2m, length isn't an issue. Maybe if it were 4 meters + and it was Displayport then there could be an issue with cable quality. Quality issues is less frequent with Hdmi.

You're using the supplied adapter that came with the card yeah? Combination, maybe, but I'd also suspect the power supply.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-mpg-a850g-pcie5-850-w/p/N82E16817701017

Jul 27, 2024
4 ft is 1.2m, length isn't an issue. Maybe if it were 4 meters + and it was Displayport then there could be an issue with cable quality. Quality issues is less frequent with Hdmi.

You're using the supplied adapter that came with the card yeah? Combination, maybe, but I'd also suspect the power supply.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-mpg-a850g-pcie5-850-w/p/N82E16817701017
Yes, I used the adapter that came with the 4070S, the 2060S didnt use an adapter, and I only started having the issues once I swapped to the 4070S, I clean installed drivers, issue persisted, swapped back to the 2060S and did another clean install, issue stayed.
Possibly the 4070s has contributed to the PSU's degradation more rapidly. Given it's age, it's about time to change it anyway :)
Thats what my assumption was, but I wanted more experienced and better minds than my own to tell me as well lol.
Just as new or? Just in case you meant 2060s.

Test a tv? If that might be your only other means of a display to troubleshoot with. Double check Hdmi cable is fitting correctly monitor side and also PC. Sometimes Hdmi cables can have unnecessary bulky ends.
Just as new, bought it maybe 2 weeks before the 4070S, I tried using my TV, which is a 42 inch LG that runs at 60 HZ that I was using before, didnt have issues, and it continued the black screen flickering on it as well. 😒😔