fox436

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
I have had this issue for a few years now, and I have never found a definitive answer for it, let alone any discussion on the matter. In my experience troubleshooting PC's, any issue I had was most definitely shared by someone else also having the same issue. Not for this though. I have searched the internet in every avenue I know of and am stopping here lastly.

My issue is connecting my PC to my Television. First- the devices in question/specs:

Television:
LG NanoCell 86 Series 4K 75 inch Class Smart UHD NanoCell TV w/ AI ThinQ® (74.5'' Diag)
https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-75SM8670AUA-4k-uhd-tv

Receiver:
Sony STR-DH590 5.2ch Home Theater AV Receiver with Bluetooth® Technology
https://electronics.sony.com/audio/audio-components/av-receivers/p/strdh590

My PC:
CPU:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
RAM: 64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX4090 GAMING OC 3 FAN
MB: ASUS PRIME Z790-V WIFI D5 ATX

The PC operates smooth as expected. There are no issues whatsoever when connected to my basic monitors. The issue in question is when I connect to my television. If the Television is ON prior to boot, the PC does not boot video either from the card or onboard. Only IF the Television is OFF prior to boot, does the PC boot video. Otherwise, It maintains high speed fan spinning and zero indication of power besides the lights on the fans. Not even the motherboard beeps or lights up indicating which stage of booting it is at.

I have attempted to trouble shoot this numerous ways and am at a loss for what I can do. I have swapped out the cables, ensured it is not my main display, ensured it IS the main display, ensured the cable is an HDMI 2.1, used a Display-HDMI cable, etc etc etc. I have attempted to adjust various settings in my video card, I have attempted to adjust settings in the motherboard (I did not find anything that was relevant to this). FYI, I have completely removed the receiver from the equation, tested every input on it AND the television and the result is identical. The receiver is not the issue in any way I can identify uniquely to the television.

I have concluded that the issue is exclusively with my Television, and not the video card. I believe there is a compatibility issue between my Television and my video card, since this is the second RTX PC to have the identical issue. The first being an identical PC with an RTX 3070. I also had a third PC that is much older, using a GTX 1060 that never once had a single issue with this television. Due to its age however, it does not serve the purpose I need for this television and therefore is not used for it.

In closing, I would like to hear if anyone else has this issue. if anyone has useful advice for me regarding anything else I can do, and lastly, which television would be recommended for me since I am in the market to buy a new one that is going to be compatible with a PC using an RTX 4090.

fox436

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
The television is not connected to a network, it does not have any conections active. For all intents and purposes it is the only input connected to my card. There have been two monitors in the past that result in an identical issue with both set to primary each, and then the television set to primary, swapped out, plugged in exclusively, etc.

fox436

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
The television is not connected to a network, it does not have any conections active. For all intents and purposes it is the only input connected to my card. There have been two monitors in the past that result in an identical issue with both set to primary each, and then the television set to primary, swapped out, plugged in exclusively, etc.
for further clarification - the TV is connected via Display Port - HDMI to my receiver, and receiver to my television. It is also known to cause the issue when connected directly to my television via HDMI 2.1 cable, connected via Display Port Cable to HDMI 2.1 Cable, and so on and so forth via Receiver as well.

for further clarification - the TV is connected via Display Port - HDMI to my receiver, and receiver to my television. It is also known to cause the issue when connected directly to my television via HDMI 2.1 cable, connected via Display Port Cable to HDMI 2.1 Cable, and so on and so forth via Receiver as well.
I'm confused; why is anything connected to anything else via DisplayPort cable to HDMI? I'm not understanding the reason why everything is not connected HDMI to HDMI.

fox436

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
I'm confused; why is anything connected to anything else via DisplayPort cable to HDMI? I'm not understanding the reason why everything is not connected HDMI to HDMI.
The Television is connected via Display Port to HDMI into a receiver as mentioned in my original post. That is the current set up. It was previously connected via HDMI-HDMI via receiver. The video card has 1x HDMI port, 3x Display Ports. I have tried every possible combination as stated above. There is only one HDMI port in the video card, so therefore only one HDMI cable can be used, the rest must be Display port cables. I have two basic monitors I also use for basic function since the PC can boot with video to these basic monitors via HDMI-HDMI and Display Port -HDMI cables.

Having both monitors disconnected and only the television connected results in the PC not posting if the television is on when I power on the PC. The PC will only function if the TV is OFF prior to boot. This is not just a display issue, like I said it is a POST issue since connecting monitors afterward will result in no signal, no posting, no booting. Powering off, unplugging and waiting a few minutes then powering on again brings my PC to the UEFI BIOS where it tells me that it was unable to boot before and to press F1 for set up. This only happens with the TV on prior to boot.

I hope that cleared up any confusion you had with my original post.

fox436

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
I'm still not clear on this: have you ever plugged the PC directly into the TV?
Yes, that was my first troubleshooting attempt. PC does not boot/post. Its the same exact issue no matter what I do. Ive narrowed it down to a compatibility issue since the older PC with the GTX 1060 works flawlessly, even boots with display on the television with picture, but RTX cards have some weird compatibility issue with the television, or a settings I am unaware of to improve compatibility.

Yes, that was my first troubleshooting attempt. PC does not boot/post.
I assumed you had, but wanted to make sure.
Its the same exact issue no matter what I do. Ive narrowed it down to a compatibility issue since the older PC with the GTX 1060 works flawlessly, even boots with display on the television with picture, but RTX cards have some weird compatibility issue with the television, or a settings I am unaware of to improve compatibility.
Yeah I'd say it's some weird incompatibility issue, but it isn't just your RTX cards. You mentioned hooking it up via onboard which is run exclusively through the CPU IGP. It isn't HDMI/DP versions either as they're all the same as your GTX 1060 (TV is HDMI 2.0 so the newer version on the RTX cards doesn't matter). I've never come across something like this and if you hadn't already checked all the ports on the TV I'd suggest making sure it wasn't in the HDMI arc port even though that shouldn't matter.

How long are the cables you're using for the TV connection?

I highly doubt this is the issue, but it's the only other thing I can think of.

Last edited:
Yes, that was my first troubleshooting attempt. PC does not boot/post. Its the same exact issue no matter what I do. Ive narrowed it down to a compatibility issue since the older PC with the GTX 1060 works flawlessly, even boots with display on the television with picture, but RTX cards have some weird compatibility issue with the television, or a settings I am unaware of to improve compatibility.
Have you gone through all of the TV's settings? Besides seeing if there's a firmware update, are there any settings for something like Anynet+ HDMI-CEC or anything relating to the TV interfacing with other devices?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
My first thought after reading all this is to try resetting the TV. I have never seen this issue, nor can I think of why it's happening. But as a last resort in case some tv setting is the problem, resetting it to out of the box could help.

Sounds like the one thing you haven't tried yet so may as well give it a shot :)

fox436

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
I assumed you had, but wanted to make sure.

Yeah I'd say it's some weird incompatibility issue, but it isn't just your RTX cards. You mentioned hooking it up via onboard which is run exclusively through the CPU IGP. It isn't HDMI/DP versions either as they're all the same as your GTX 1060 (TV is HDMI 2.0 so the newer version on the RTX cards doesn't matter). I've never come across something like this and if you hadn't already checked all the ports on the TV I'd suggest making sure it wasn't in the HDMI arc port even though that shouldn't matter.

How long are the cables you're using for the TV connection?

I highly doubt this is the issue, but it's the only other thing I can think of.
Cables are approx. 6ft give or take.

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020

There are two final posts in this thread that might be helpful...

This is odd to say the least; essentially, when connected to the TV the PC does not POST?

I've sometimes seen POSTing fail due to connected devices; my USB Blu-Ray drive does this to my PC if its plugged in at boot. I've never seen a POST that cares what display device is connected though; that's a new one.

Simple thing to check: Is the input port you are using on your TV been renamed to "PC" (or similar)? This is typically preferred when connecting a TV to a PC since it disables most post-processing on the display. If nothing else it's a good first step to try.

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
If you start with just one monitor using your GPU's DP to that monitor's DP, the PC works fine, correct?

What happens if you plug the tv into the GPU using straight HDMI connections while the PC is running with the other monitor? Does the PC recognize the tv? Does the other monitor continue to work or go to black screen?