video cards on new dells

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hello

Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a fancy
video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going to
give it and it might be time for a new gamer.

Thanks
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The AGP specification is a standard.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Don Moore" <willyworm_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:7oOBe.18015$yC5.3836@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...
> Hello
>
> Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a fancy
> video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
> onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going to
> give it and it might be time for a new gamer.
>
> Thanks
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

If new Dells still have an AGP slot.


Don Moore wrote:
> Hello
>
> Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a fancy
> video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
> onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going to
> give it and it might be time for a new gamer.
>
> Thanks
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Don Moore wrote:

> Hello
>
> Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a fancy
> video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
> onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going to
> give it and it might be time for a new gamer.

AGP is obsolete, current Dells have a PCI-Express slot for video.
 

David

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
2,039
0
19,780
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It not a regular pci slot. It is a pci express (pci-e) slot
this is the replacement for AGP.
Dell no longer sells computers with AGP slots.
The lower end have no video card slot
and the others have pci-e slots.
Other computer makers (emachines, HP/compaq)
still sell lower end computers with AGP slots
but their mid and upper range computers
also come with pci-e slots for video instead
of agp.
Hope this clears it up.
Dave
 

David

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
2,039
0
19,780
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Well you DO have to install drivers (same as with AGP cards)..but the
card comes with drivers
and they can be downloaded from the manufacturers site.
Windows will recognize the card well enough to see the screen to enable
you
to update the drivers.
Dave
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
news:mOOBe.141750$mx5.62090@fe08.lga...
> Don Moore wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a
fancy
> > video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
> > onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going
to
> > give it and it might be time for a new gamer.
>
> AGP is obsolete, current Dells have a PCI-Express slot for video.


SO all the new fancy video cards nowadays don't have AGP and plug into a pci
slot? Are the new cards pretty much just plug and play on new dells like on
the old ones?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

PCI-Express is NOT PCI. It is an entirely new connector
with a whole new system of communication. To get AGP
you would need to get a refurbished 8300 or 4600.

"Don Moore" <willyworm_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:JUOBe.18110$yC5.3443@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...
>
> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in
> message
> news:mOOBe.141750$mx5.62090@fe08.lga...
>> Don Moore wrote:
>>
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I
>> > separately buy a
> fancy
>> > video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells
>> > bypassing the
>> > onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the
>> > upgrades Im going
> to
>> > give it and it might be time for a new gamer.
>>
>> AGP is obsolete, current Dells have a PCI-Express slot for
>> video.
>
>
> SO all the new fancy video cards nowadays don't have AGP and
> plug into a pci
> slot? Are the new cards pretty much just plug and play on new
> dells like on
> the old ones?
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1121437152.666190.233880@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> It not a regular pci slot. It is a pci express (pci-e) slot
> this is the replacement for AGP.
> Dell no longer sells computers with AGP slots.
> The lower end have no video card slot
> and the others have pci-e slots.
> Other computer makers (emachines, HP/compaq)
> still sell lower end computers with AGP slots
> but their mid and upper range computers
> also come with pci-e slots for video instead
> of agp.
> Hope this clears it up.
> Dave
>

AH interesting. Thanks for setting me straight on the new slots. Are the
new after market video cards plug and play in these new dell slots?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Don Moore wrote:

> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> news:mOOBe.141750$mx5.62090@fe08.lga...
>
>>Don Moore wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Hello
>>>
>>>Im thinking of getting a new dell for gaming. If I separately buy a
>
> fancy
>
>>>video card, will they still fit in AGP slot on new dells bypassing the
>>>onboard video? MY XPS 400 from 1997 has had all the upgrades Im going
>
> to
>
>>>give it and it might be time for a new gamer.
>>
>>AGP is obsolete, current Dells have a PCI-Express slot for video.
>
> SO all the new fancy video cards nowadays don't have AGP and plug into a pci
> slot? Are the new cards pretty much just plug and play on new dells like on
> the old ones?

Yup - it would be unthinkable to go backwards IMHO.

There are still LOTS of AGP cards on the market in stores like CompUSA,
Best Buy, J&R, etc.
 

TRENDING THREADS