Question Video Cutting In and Out During Gaming

phi88

Honorable
Oct 27, 2017
Hello,

I've recently built a new computer; however, it's been having a strange issue where the video occasionally cuts out for a split second and then comes back on. In some scenarios, the issue is very rare or nonexistent, and in other scenarios, it is happening very often. I cannot easily replicate the issue in a game, but I found that if I run MSI Afterburner and run a Furmark 2 test using the Vulkan API, then the issue is the most consistent with the video cutting in and out in frequent bursts. It appears to me that the severity of the issue is dependent on what my graphics card is processing. Here are some troubleshooting steps I tried to figure out what's happening with my PC:

• Changing the GPU power cable from a single daisy-chained 8+8 pin cable to two 8-pin cables
    • This seemed to have no effect on the issue
  • Updating the BIOS
    • This also seemed to have no effect on the issue
  • Monitoring temperatures and power draw
    • My graphics card reaches 65-70C die temperature and 80-85C hotspot temperature, and CPU reaches 65-75C when gaming. GPU power draw is also 200W maximum and CPU power draw is around 50-70W during gaming. To me, it doesn't appear that anything is overheating or that any component is drawing too much power.
  • Changing PCIE settings
    • I tried changing my PCIE settings from PCIE gen 4.0 to PCIE gen 3.0 as I have noticed that the issue did not occur when it was in a system using PCIE gen 3.0. However, changing this setting on my new PC did not resolve the issue.
  • Swapping out the graphics card
    • I swapped out my graphics card for a spare GTX 1050Ti and the issue did not occur with this card. However, the issue did not occur with my RX 6750XT in another system.
Here are my PC specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • Motherboard: ASRock B650E Taichi Lite
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 2x16GB DDR5-6400 CL32
  • Storage:
    • HP EX920 256GB M.2-2280 PCIE 3.0 X4 NVME SSD
    • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB M.2-2280 3.0 X4 NVME SSD
  • XFX Speedster QICK 319 Core Radeon 6750XT
  • PSU: Corsair HX850 Platinum

I have also noticed that when I play games or run Furmark, the GPU utilization constantly fluctuates between 90% and 98%. I'm used to the GPU utilization always being 99% during such activities; however, this is also my first Radeon card so I'm not sure if this behavior is an issue or if it's normal for these cards. As for the video cutting in and out, I am not confident that it is a graphics card issue as the graphics card seems to behave normally in other systems. Any ideas as to how I could resolve this issue or what might be wrong with my PC? Thanks.

Last edited:
spare GTX 1050Ti and the issue did not occur with this card. However, the issue did not occur with my RX 6750XT in another system
this would normally point to an issue with higher power draw and the PSU.
though the HX Platinum series is a rather highly rated series of units.

i would definitely try a different PSU in this current system and see if the issue persists.